Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePariahprose
I'm Thinking Arby's...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Treana's Anus Flag
Magic Mushrooms, The New Pot... 9/20 First Ever Psilocybin Mushroom Day * 3
    #22310213 - 09/29/15 06:51 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/according-to-psilocybin-enthusiasts-magic-mushrooms-are-the-new-pot-maaaaan

The back room of the Caravane Cafe in Montreal's Plateau neighbourhood was half-heartedly decorated with grey, white, and black balloons alongside arts-and-crafts creations that resembled Asian lanterns hanging from the ceiling. Lights slowly faded from blue to red to green and back, illuminating a small stage on which a thin man stood nearby a psychedelic drawing of a mushroom.

It was the Montreal edition of 9/20, aka the first ever Psilocybin Mushroom Day, so some concessions to a trippy atmosphere were to be expected. Onstage, the thin man—whose name is Gonzo Nieto—was talking about using fungus to keep prisoners from reoffending.

Studies old and new have shown that psychedelic drugs like psilocybin, the active component in shrooms, when used in conjunction with therapy, can keep convicts from reoffending claimed Nieto, who is the co-­chair of Canadian Students for Sensible Drug Policy.

But that's not all. According to various speakers throughout the day, psychedelic drugs can also help with PTSD, addiction, and spiritual crises large and small.

Given the setting, wild praise for shrooms isn't surprising. But while there was plenty of talk about how "psychedelics make the universe feel connected"—which is familiar to anyone who ever met a white guy with dreads—the kinda scary thing is that everyone presenting backed up their points with data. A lot of data.

The date itself has no special connection to psychedelics as far as I can tell. (In a conversation with Nieto months before 9/20, he guessed that the date was picked because it was far enough away from 4/20 that people wouldn't get confused, but also had a 20 tying them together.)

"I think the idea was that of all the drugs that might be poised to follow in the pathway of medical marijuana, mushrooms were the ones that were most likely because they're non­-toxic and they do so much healing," said 9/20 Day host and co-organizer Lex Pelger. "One thing they lack is a cohesive thing to bring them together like 4/20 for weed or Bicycle Day for acid. This is a good way to bring out the advocates for magic mushrooms."

The big difference between 4/20 and its September counterpart is that "you can smoke weed every day but you don't do shrooms every day," according to Pelger, showing he is unfamiliar with human art project Ozzy Osbourne, who once took acid every day for an entire year just to see what would happen—at least according to legend.

But that's the Prince of Fucking Darkness and we are not him.

The crowd at 9/20 Day was young enough that no one was pining for Phil Lesh to play the old shit (though Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies founder Rick Doblin later reminisced via Skype about the fun he had at the recent Grateful Dead farewell shows). Few haircuts could be described as "intentionally unconventional" and I spied a mere two tie-­dyed garments. It looked more like a crowd of college kids who enjoyed getting fucked up than a gathering of .moe aficionados.

At 30, there's a good chance I was the old geezer of the room.

So what brings a bunch of 20­-somethings to a drug-­related event where spreadsheets and margins of error are as likely to be discussed as earth­shattering realizations about the comfiness of the chairs?

Aside from some free food and a demonstration of a surreal-­looking Oculus Rift game, there was the obvious: sure enough, a serving of very special chocolates was made available.

Given that if these chocolates contained psilocybin, which would be illegal as shit, you can't blame organizers for being coy.

"There was some really high quality chocolate there," Pelger confirmed. "You're allowed to eat chocolate in this city."

Chocolate and getting messed aside, the massive increase in tourism revolving around the ritual of ayahuasca in South America over the last few years has shown there is a hunger to see what psychedelics can do for spiritual growth. But are the people who are drawn to an event like 9/20 there because they're fascinated by the growing amounts of research showing LSD, MDMA, and their ilk can be beneficial for mental health? Or because they feel they're a salve for a spiritually starved culture? Or maybe simply because tripping balls is awesome?

"Psychedelics are important to our society," said one woman, who asked to be identified as Vanessa K. "I've been using them and encouraging others to use them for healing purposes for a long time."

"I think a lot of people are already interested in this, they've had their own experiences and they're interested in the ongoing research," said attendee Samuel Stathakos, a soft-spoken 22-­year-­old with a truly mighty beard.

In other words, psychedelic drugs are clearly really useful for some people. The trouble is that the kind of people who show up to hear about how useful they are usually happen to be the ones who already really like psychedelic drugs for different reasons.

Not that there's anything wrong with using these drugs just to have a good time.

"Let's not get down on pleasure," said Pelger. "Nothing wrong with a good orgy every once in awhile."

Doblin was taking his last question from a youngster from the crowd, asking him how to approach his parents about the benefits of psychedelics.

"Show them how they've contributed to your growth and the lessons you've learned from them," Doblin advised. He described a Students for Sensible Drug Policy T­-shirt that had a picture of a nuclear family with the slogan: "Kids, have you spoken to your parents about drugs?"

Thinking of my own parents, who actually lived through the 1960s, I can't help but think, If I told my folks I learned lessons from shrooms, they'd find entire new ways to describe how full of shit they think I am.

But for now, the crowd giggled appreciatively. The shroom revolution is not here yet, but with the first 9/20 on the books, perhaps the spores are in the air.

--------------------
Pariahprose, an outcast even among the Devil's Demons.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLaughingcowwa
Your mum loves it.
Male

Re: Magic Mushrooms, The New Pot... 9/20 First Ever Psilocybin Mushroom Day [Re: Pariahprose]
    #22311165 - 09/29/15 09:50 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

This was already tried in the 60's I think with timothy leary

--------------------
Those who doubt me, suck cock by choice

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Magic Mushrooms, The New Pot... 9/20 First Ever Psilocybin Mushroom Day [Re: Laughingcowwa]
    #22311190 - 09/29/15 09:58 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Let em live!

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Magic Mushrooms, The New Pot... 9/20 First Ever Psilocybin Mushroom Day [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #22312975 - 09/30/15 08:42 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

not very well written I must say..

OfflineZulu The Most High
Soul Adventurer

Loc: Colorado
Re: Magic Mushrooms, The New Pot... 9/20 First Ever Psilocybin Mushroom Day [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #22316212 - 09/30/15 08:38 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

^+1

--------------------
[

InvisiblePsilocybinMan
State Alchemist
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: דגים ועצ Flag
Re: Magic Mushrooms, The New Pot... 9/20 First Ever Psilocybin Mushroom Day [Re: Zulu The Most High]
    #22323416 - 10/02/15 12:18 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

:thehellwasthat:

Offlinedwnlw2slw
METANOIA

Re: Magic Mushrooms, The New Pot... 9/20 First Ever Psilocybin Mushroom Day [Re: Pariahprose]
    #22323592 - 10/02/15 12:50 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Pariahprose said:.
The date itself has no special connection to psychedelics as far as I can tell. (In a conversation with Nieto months before 9/20, he guessed that the date was picked because it was far enough away from 4/20 that people wouldn't get confused, but also had a 20 tying them together.)

Yes it does. Psychedelics open your 3rd eye, and 3 x 3 = 9, so there you go. Btw, I just made that up :cool:

--------------------
"Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Slow is the experience of all deep fountains: long have they to wait until they know what has fallen into their depths." -Nietzsche

My avatar is called "Inner Sanctum" by Luke Brown.

OfflineWhoManBeing
PsychedelicYogi
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Magic Mushrooms, The New Pot... 9/20 First Ever Psilocybin Mushroom Day [Re: dwnlw2slw]
    #22339666 - 10/06/15 04:30 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Thinking of my own parents, who actually lived through the 1960s, I can't help but think, If I told my folks I learned lessons from shrooms, they'd find entire new ways to describe how full of shit they think I am."

Leave out the words "magic mushrooms" and am sure the parents love to hear tbis lessons, for they are just life lessons. Every body learns of life's lesson and can relate to some sort of understanding

--------------------
Hip, hip... WhoRAy!!!

Eye was thinking the other day...  ahh, thinking never done me no good.

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Magic Mushrooms, The New Pot... 9/20 First Ever Psilocybin Mushroom Day [Re: WhoManBeing]
    #22342896 - 10/06/15 09:17 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Why 09/20?  Why not 6/29, the anniversary of when Gordon Wasson and Allan Richardson become the first white people to consume the sacred mushrooms of the ancient Mazatec people in 1955?  That basically kicked off the psychedelic revolution. 

:mushroom2:

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Magic Mushrooms, The New Pot... 9/20 First Ever Psilocybin Mushroom Day [Re: Learyfan] * 1
    #22342971 - 10/06/15 09:32 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
Why 09/20?  Why not 6/29, the anniversary of when Gordon Wasson and Allan Richardson become the first white people to consume the sacred mushrooms of the ancient Mazatec people in 1955?  That basically kicked off the psychedelic revolution. 

:mushroom2:

:whathesaid:

Invisibleindocult
Dr
Male User Gallery

Re: Magic Mushrooms, The New Pot... 9/20 First Ever Psilocybin Mushroom Day [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #22347626 - 10/07/15 08:52 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Why have a mushroom day?  that's SO against what mushrooms are all about...

OfflinePariahprose
I'm Thinking Arby's...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Treana's Anus Flag
Re: Magic Mushrooms, The New Pot... 9/20 First Ever Psilocybin Mushroom Day [Re: indocult] * 1
    #22348818 - 10/08/15 06:27 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

indocult said:

I guess to try and "normalize" them in society like pot.

--------------------
Pariahprose, an outcast even among the Devil's Demons.

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Magic Mushrooms, The New Pot... 9/20 First Ever Psilocybin Mushroom Day [Re: indocult]
    #22349503 - 10/08/15 10:27 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

indocult said:

:confused:

what is it that mushrooms are all about?

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #22350045 - 10/08/15 01:00 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

If you wanna have a day have a day, if not then not.  Does it really matter what day it is if you choose to have a day?

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Magic Mushrooms, The New Pot... 9/20 First Ever Psilocybin Mushroom Day [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #22350501 - 10/08/15 03:13 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Cognitive_Shift said:
If you wanna have a day have a day, if not then not.  Does it really matter what day it is if you choose to have a day?

to me yes, it is part of it. Most special days are on a particular day for a reason. It makes the special day more special. Gives you something to celebrate/reflect on if you want

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Magic Mushrooms, The New Pot... 9/20 First Ever Psilocybin Mushroom Day [Re: Psilosopherr] * 1
    #24646371 - 09/20/17 11:00 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I wish there were a really good reason that it's September 20th, of all days.  Maybe there is and we just don't know it.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Magic Mushrooms, The New Pot... 9/20 First Ever Psilocybin Mushroom Day [Re: Learyfan] * 1
    #24646685 - 09/20/17 01:32 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Still agree, though when I consider that the whole point of the day afaik is to start up conversations about mushroom legalization, I realize that 9-20 might be a good choice simply because of the connection to 420, just in terms of it readily making sense to non-druggies.

Dunno if you guys have been following shroomery news lately, but a petition to wholly decriminalize mushrooms/cultivation was formally submitted to californias secretary of state. No signatures yet or anything but its been started, maybe sincerely.

This has inspired me to consider organizing a similar petition in my own state. Who's with me :rabble:

OfflineCujllickduo
Male

Loc: England Flag
    #24646813 - 09/20/17 02:34 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

id sign my blood for that shit

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Magic Mushrooms, The New Pot... 9/20 First Ever Psilocybin Mushroom Day [Re: Cujllickduo]
    #24646822 - 09/20/17 02:39 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

thats an interesting idea :lol: get some extra magic in there, maybe some bad press

OfflineCujllickduo
Male

Loc: England Flag
    #24646833 - 09/20/17 02:43 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

:mindblown:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale