Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineMachineElf1.618
4-PO-Dimethyltryptamine
Male User Gallery

Loc: Miðgarðr
Re: overpopulation true or false? [Re: Arctic W. Fox]
    #22305933 - 09/28/15 11:28 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Yup we are almost to the overpopulation point and soon (within the next 100 years) governments will start regulating the birth and death rate. Or they will probably find another way to start killing us off.

By the way I want to clear the misconception that the population limit is based on the amount of resources available. The supply of resources is a factor but not the only one.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefuzzysig
user

Re: overpopulation true or false? [Re: MachineElf1.618]
    #22312236 - 09/30/15 02:41 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

so let me clear something up with people who think we have no overpopulation.
what you saying is.
if a house can hold 50 people you would say that having 47 people live in that house is perfectly ok? because its under the limit...
its like a gas station grocery. it can hold 60-80 people I belive.
so imagine 50 people in a grocery shop how comfortable would you feel

earth's capacity is limited. one must be blind or ignorant not to see that.
and just because theres space on land its not ours to take.
even hard drives need a reserve space to operate.

and even more reserve space to operate at optimal speed. why you think the hard drives neet at least 15% free space?

Offlinesomethingsomeonejr

Loc: Rootless
Re: overpopulation true or false? [Re: fuzzysig]
    #22312252 - 09/30/15 02:58 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Let people die.
Let the old die, let the sick die, let people off themselves.

But no. Intead we're learning to make hearts from pigskin and re-animate dead tissue.

--------------------
"We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

Offlinesnappytom
Stranger
Re: overpopulation true or false? [Re: somethingsomeonejr]
    #22312326 - 09/30/15 03:39 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

A nasty virus would sort this dilemma out quickly if the government wanted too.but there ponzi growth economy needs more people too boost the economy.The government farms humans for taxes more humans more taxes.

OfflineArctic W. Fox
 User Gallery
Re: overpopulation true or false? [Re: somethingsomeonejr]
    #22312767 - 09/30/15 07:39 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

somethingsomeonejr said:
Let people die.

But no. Instead we're learning to make hearts from pigskin and re-animate dead tissue.

I agree on this. Why is there such a need to save every single person on this world?

OfflineMachineElf1.618
4-PO-Dimethyltryptamine
Male User Gallery

Loc: Miðgarðr
Re: overpopulation true or false? [Re: snappytom]
    #22315710 - 09/30/15 06:51 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

somethingsomeonejr said:
Let people die.

But no. Intead we're learning to make hearts from pigskin and re-animate dead tissue.

You know what, that is a good point you made. I've been in favor of artificial organs and helping the sick but now that we tie in this overpopulation topic now I'm conflicted.

Quote:

snappytom said:
A nasty virus would sort this dilemma out quickly if the government wanted too.but there ponzi growth economy needs more people too boost the economy.The government farms humans for taxes more humans more taxes.

Uhhh...what? I suggest you think about what you're saying because there is a huge fallacy in the point ur trying to make.

InvisiblehTx
(:
Male User Gallery

Loc: Space-time
Re: overpopulation true or false? [Re: MachineElf1.618]
    #22315789 - 09/30/15 07:03 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

If the goal is to control populations,  then true.

False otherwise.

Im sitting here, smoking a cigarette, on some 500 acres of mostly untouched land.

And i know im not the only one.

When gov starts taking land and resources from the rich to sustain the population..then i will worry about over population.

Also, birthrates are at an all-time low, percentage wise. Some are even saying humans are slowly becoming extinct.

--------------------
zen by age ten times six hundred lifetimes
Light up the darkness.

InvisibleWhite Beard

Re: overpopulation true or false? [Re: fuzzysig]
    #22315804 - 09/30/15 07:06 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

False. We can always build up, so space isn't an issue. Nuclear and renewables are enough for power. The problem is actually over population + poverty.

Invisibleonce in a lifetime
sun child
 User Gallery

Re: overpopulation true or false? [Re: DividedQuantum]
    #22319269 - 10/01/15 01:50 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DividedQuantum said:
Quote:

Tilford cites a litany of sobering statistics showing just how profligate Americans have been in using and abusing natural resources. For example, between 1900 and 1989 U.S. population tripled while its use of raw materials grew by a factor of 17.  “With less than 5 percent of world population, the U.S. uses one-third of the world’s paper, a quarter of the world’s oil, 23 percent of the coal, 27 percent of the aluminum, and 19 percent of the copper,” he reports. “Our per capita use of energy, metals, minerals, forest products, fish, grains, meat, and even fresh water dwarfs that of people living in the developing world.”

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/american-consumption-habits/

What this means is that no, we cannot raise the standard of living for everybody.  If we raised all 7.5 billion of us to the US standard of living and consumption rates, we would need four more Earths just to harvest the resources with present technology.
http://www.popsci.com/environment/article/2012-10/daily-infographic-if-everyone-lived-american-how-many-earths-would-we-need

IT'S TOO MANY!!!

haha - nice.  my father's book, 'Too Many'

I don't advertise it much because it's not really positive enough.  That's why I recommend the worldpopulationbalance.org website. . . they are the next generation - like me - who understand how serious this issue is, but also that it should be phrased positively: panic, worry and other things are never helpful. . .

To put that more shortly - healing is deserved and necessary.  Deserved by all, etc., and necessary for our planet and its peoples.

Since I was very young, I had this realization - we survived an ice age, nothing else could be difficult after that. 

It was very nice to come across the WPB site, as I mentioned, because they came across several of these ideas simultaneously - to share the message with hope - it's NOT too late, etc. . . An uphill climb - perhaps - but not too late for future generations;

Yet - the urgency of changing our behavior so there will be a habitable planet for them - that is undeniable, and paramount.

The issue is primarily exponential growth - doubling every 25-30 years - this must be halted, and reversed, by humane methods - that is;

raising awareness

which is very different from trying to force anyone . . . and - encouraging them to understand the issue, etc.  As my dad put it - we tend to ignore things that make us unhappy; so, again, to share these conjoined with the message of hope.

We can do this.

Life always finds a way - Life will always adapt - WE will adapt, we will survive - this is undeniable as well. . . we're one of the best adapters. . . well, we survived the dinosaur's doom because we were very small then - and later on, we mastered Space Flight another Wonders. . . and that endeavor lead to such technological advancements as - well, look it up sometime, there's quite a few.

The point is - to face the future calmly and with intelligent - with our best.  Panic does not help - but the simplicity of the fact that exponential growth leads to one conclusion: collapse, is undeniable.

It is also a fact that most of the growth is occurring in places such as Malaysia and similar regions - Pakistan, for example, had a doubling in population over a 30 year period, like most of the rest of the places - and their problems increased by several factors.

Look at a Ceder tree - it grows until it dies. . . ' While weeping Atlas Ceders, they just want to grow, grow and grow. . . '

Growth for the sake of growth is the philosophy of cancer, as one platitude expresses.

I passed through all the normal things - left 'em behind. . . long time 'go. 

There's no need for anger, there's no need for blame.

The calmer we are, the more work we can get done - these things are always the same. 

We are losing many - many - species every day; 40-50 each day, by several estimates - even if it were 5 - that is too much.

So this is clearly the central issue of today - well, there are three inter-connected ones, to my mind: Population, turning off the war machine, and materialism or pollution in general. . . they are closely inter-woven. . . The solution is the same as ever . . . and when you help in one area - you tend to help another. . .

When you turn down materialism - you are helping all three - so that's the main thing.

There is no point in complaining - simply live the solution, and share it.

Who here has heard of the Quagga? :sun:  Last seen, 1883, I think. . .

Peace work is still the same as it was 1,000 years ago. . . we are more interconnected by technology - yet we were already this interconnected, it was just not as apparent.

So healing and peace work are the general solution - to turn off the war machine, and so forth.

Peace -

J.

--------------------
Innocent, Oldfield & Hegerland          Julia Delaney, Bothy Band                                        Rasta Girl, Sister Carol                    Genesis, Jorma K
I Wish You Peace, Lawrence Laughing                                                                                                                    Do Your Thing, Moondog                     
large  . . music garden . .  very
all peace                    them hi
Starhouse - main
Time Traveler's Guide

Offlineeehoo
Stranger

Re: overpopulation true or false? [Re: once in a lifetime] * 1
    #22329373 - 10/03/15 05:00 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Primitivism to some extent is necessary in order to properly exist on earth and keep the balance equal .../ keep the cycle going #Nature . What we have now is over population, and isn't sustainable or moral to continue

--------------------

Edited by eehoo (10/03/15 05:01 PM)

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: overpopulation true or false? [Re: eehoo]
    #22329403 - 10/03/15 05:09 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Very succinctly and very correctly stated.  Welcome to PS&P.

--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

Offlineshroominated
Stranger

Re: overpopulation true or false? [Re: DividedQuantum]
    #22332443 - 10/04/15 12:15 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

even if over population was true who gets the right to decide who lives and dies Donald trump?

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
Re: overpopulation true or false? [Re: shroominated]
    #22332479 - 10/04/15 12:25 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

shroominated said:
even if over population was true who gets the right to decide who lives and dies Donald trump?

"You're Fired" becomes an anachronism for the cremated ones...

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Invisibleenlightened seed
Utopia is a state of mind
Male User Gallery

Loc: amongst civilization
Re: overpopulation true or false? [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #22333363 - 10/04/15 03:57 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

overpopulation  :fishsmack:

OfflineArctic W. Fox
 User Gallery
Re: overpopulation true or false? [Re: shroominated]
    #22333687 - 10/04/15 05:26 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

shroominated said:

I'd like to see natural selection weed people out.

We could have an agreement that anyone participating in the show "Jackass" will be denied ANY medical treatment.

Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: overpopulation true or false? [Re: Arctic W. Fox]
    #22339301 - 10/06/15 12:13 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies