Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefloccopus
d-fractionated

Loc: valley
california edibles
    #2228672 - 01/08/04 02:48 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

after the onslaught of heavy snow and freezing my general area has received since before new year's, i have been contemplating some driving/camping in order to procure some edible fungi for myself that i was just preparing to harvest in this area... the winter mushrooms are elusive enough, as it is, and driving from the central valley in oregon down to the bay area is no short trip. soooooooooooooo - who knows what the situation is regarding craterellus, boletus, cantharelllus and dentinum down the coast...
did the deluge of snow fall as far south as that? did the redwoods freeze hard/at all/a little?

it would help me to plan my trip if i knew how the weather went down ANYWHERE along the coast of cali from oregon to santa cruz.
i just need to know how many days to take off work.

anyone?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: california edibles [Re: floccopus]
    #2228871 - 01/08/04 04:13 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I live in Santa Cruz... There are plenty of fleshy fungus around right now. The Boletes are probably gone by now, but, Im sure the Chantrelles will be coming up shortly.

I actually haven't been out as much as I would have liked to, but, last week when I went out, there were a lot of mushrooms.

We had a freeze last Saturday, and I haven't been out since...Other than that, we have just had lots and lots of rain.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #2229030 - 01/08/04 05:13 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

i wouldn't drive down here so far just to hunt edibles, but i would surely make some flimsy excuse to go if given the chance.

when i went up forth, there where edibles abound all over the place.

if you are gonna come down, allow half a day for driving each way, an extra day if you don't know where all you intend to go hunting then at least two days to hunt, even more if you can.

if it where me, i'd take off more time [partly only because my job allows me to take off as many days as i'd like] and, while t is cold outside, i would camp [a god excuse for taking time off to walk around in the woods :smile:].

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinefloccopus
d-fractionated

Re: california edibles [Re: canid]
    #2233077 - 01/10/04 11:11 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

i wouldn't drive down here so far just to hunt edibles

hehe, i would  :smile:
Quote:

i'd take off more time [partly only because my job allows me to take off as many days as i'd like]

exactly.    i got that on lock. 

i was thinking about this area: mizzap , but wondering how much freezing there's been.  afraid the trumpets and such will be sad and burnt... 

i have several flimsy excuses at hand at all times.  MY VERY SANITY IS USUALLY THE ONE THAT PREVAILS... ie. preserving it...
the quantity of snow and severity of temps has done in any chance of random matsi/chantie bounties...the trumpets are almost non-existent this far up anyway.  was planning for a long time to head down and camp....
peace and thanks fer the replies...
dubya owe arrrrgh dee.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #2233499 - 01/10/04 04:01 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

well, that's quite a big area.

that area is a bit north of me [i'm just below sacramento] and we've had many hard frosts and have had prolonged periods of lows in the 30-35 range.

on the other hand, up in the chico/red bluff area, there hasn't been a frost yet, and there are still plenty of muhsrooms around. i'm not sure what the weather has been like further towards the caost

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinefloccopus
d-fractionated

Re: california edibles [Re: canid]
    #2234209 - 01/11/04 01:20 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

thanks. i intentionally made the area large for vagueness' sake.
i was actually headed to the (nut) Sack area myself. hate that city.
that cold huh? shit.
by ground hogs day....
i hear the cornucopioides don't care too much about the cold. the coast also stays warmer for sure...

will post some pics tomorrow of some candy caps pulled out of the melting ice here in my neckodawoods.
peace, thanks again...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom