Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

Loc: Darkover
Coca
    #2213051 - 01/01/04 10:05 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Some years ago I chased a product known as "gusto" (organic guarana capsules) around the U.K via the telephone.The upshot was that a meeting was arranged between myself and the M.D of a drinks company, here in the U.K, producing a substance known as AGWA.The details of the discussion which took place don't concern us here,suffice is to say that this coca,guarana and ginseng liquor has found it's way to my lair on more than one occassion!Go to www.agwabuzz.com!

--------------------
"Odrade read the word silently and then aloud.
"Arafel."
She knew this word.Reverend Mothers of the tyrants time had impressed it into the Bene Gesserit consciousness,tracing it's roots to the most ancient sources.
"Arafel:the cloud darkness at the end of the universe.""

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleVoodoo
Stranger

Re: Coca [Re: Silverwolf]
    #2215213 - 01/02/04 02:40 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Hows the taste?

--------------------
http://www.nramembership.org/

InvisibleDazedSol
old hand

#2215509 - 01/02/04 05:36 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Interesting...... wonder if this would be legal in the states.......or at least get by the us customs... hmm

--------------------
Peace,
Adam

OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

Re: Coca [Re: DazedSol]
    #2217936 - 01/04/04 04:37 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

A site link would indicate that it definately IS available in the U.S.The taste is very sweet,rather like a cointreau ,in sweetness not flavour, there's a definate "greenness" to that.It IS green!

--------------------
"Arafel."
She knew this word.Reverend Mothers of the tyrants time had impressed it into the Bene Gesserit consciousness,tracing it's roots to the most ancient sources.

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Re: Coca [Re: DazedSol]
    #2219194 - 01/04/04 08:43 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

it dosn't contain any cocaine so it's legal here, coca-cola uses coca leaves in it still (which is why they still can say original formula on the can) but the cocaine has been removed

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

Re: Coca [Re: John]
    #2223399 - 01/06/04 02:17 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Hold on squire lets get this straight. It DOES contain the active constituents of coca, I can assure you!Coca leaf in it's natural state IS active,cocaine is produced FROM it.So you can't "remove the cocaine" from the coca leaf.

--------------------
"Arafel."

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2224284 - 01/06/04 08:39 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

From Coca Cola in an email.

Does Coca-Cola contain cocaine?

Quote:

The coca extract in Coca-Cola contains caffeine. Since 1903, Coca-Cola has gone through great trouble to remove the cocaine from its coca leaves. The current "decocanization" of coca leaves cannot remove all cocaine. However, the amount of cocaine in Coca-cola is so incredibly minute that is cannot be easily measured, and for all practical purposes, modern Coca-Cola is cocaine-free

And for additional info:

Claim: Coca-Cola used to contain cocaine.

Origins: Coca-Cola
was named back in 1885 for its two "medicinal" ingredients: extract of coca leaves and kola nuts. Just how much cocaine was originally in the formulation is hard to determine, but the drink undeniably contained some cocaine in its early days. Frederick Allen describes the public attitude towards cocaine that existed as Coca-Cola's developers worked on perfecting their formula in 1891:

The first stirrings of a national debate had begun over the negative aspects of cocaine, and manufacturers were growing defensive over charges that use of their products might lead to "cocainism" or the "cocaine habit". The full-throated fury against cocaine was still a few years off, and Candler and Robinson were anxious to continue promoting the supposed benefits of the coca leaf, but there was no reason to risk putting more than a tiny bit of coca extract in their syrup. They cut the amount to a mere trace.
Allen also explains that cocaine continued to be an ingredient in the syrup in order to protect the trade name "Coca-Cola":

But neither could Candler take the simple step of eliminating the fluid extract of coca leaves from the formula. Candler believed that his product's name had to be descriptive, and that he must have at least some by-product of the coca leaf in the syrup (along with some kola) to protect his right to the name Coca-Cola. Protecting the name was critical. Candler had no patent on the syrup itself. Anyone could make an imitation. But no one could put the label "Coca-Cola" on an imitation so long as Candler owned the name. The name was the thing of real value, and the registered trademark was its only safeguard. Coca leaves had to stay in the syrup.

How much cocaine was in that "mere trace" is impossible to say, but we do know that by 1902 it was as little as 1/400 of a grain of cocaine per ounce of syrup. Coca-Cola didn't become completely cocaine-free until 1929, but there scarcely any of the drug left in the drink by then:

By Heath's calculation, the amount of ecgonine [an alkaloid in the coca leaf that could be synthesized to create cocaine] was infinitesimal: no more than one part in 50 million. In an entire year's supply of 25-odd million gallons of Coca-Cola syrup, Heath figured, there might be six-hundredths of an ounce of cocaine.

So, yes, at one time there was cocaine in Coca-Cola. But before you're tempted to run off claiming Coca-Cola turned generations of drinkers into dope addicts, consider the following: back in 1885 it was far from uncommon to use cocaine in patent medicines (which is what Coca-Cola was originally marketed as) and other medical potions. When it first became general knowledge that cocaine could be harmful, the backroom chemists who comprised Coca-Cola at the time (long before it became the huge company we now know) did everything they could with the technology they had available at the time to remove every trace of cocaine from the beverage. What was left behind (until the technology improved enough for it all to be removed) wasn't enough to give a fly a buzz.

Barbara Mikkelson

Last updated: 2 May 1999

The URL for this page is http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/cocaine.asp
Click here to e-mail this page to a friend

Urban Legends Reference Pages ? 1995-2004
by Barbara and David P. Mikkelson

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (01/06/04 08:46 PM)

InvisibleAhab McBathsalts
OTD Windmill Administrator
Other User Gallery Ultimate Champion: Blackjack

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Wind Turbine, AB
Re: Coca [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2224471 - 01/06/04 10:23 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

so what do they do with the cocaine that is removed :smile:

--------------------
"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's going to die."

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: Coca [Re: Ahab McBathsalts]
    #2225175 - 01/07/04 06:07 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

it is quite possibly diverted to "legitimate medical" uses, such as ocular surgery, nasal surgery, etc. in humans, and a variety of veterinary uses as well...
~

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: Coca [Re: gnrm23]
    #2225202 - 01/07/04 06:29 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

doctor said it kill me, didn't say when
he said "cocaine's for horses, not for men"
cocaine, runnin' all around my brain...
~
so...
if'n ya purchased 100 teabags @ 1 gram leaf each (for somewheres around $US20 + shipping), & alkaloid levels were ~ 0.5%, ya oughta have maybe 1/2 gram coca alkaloids available to make tea out of (or ya could soak the shredded coca leaf into ethanol & make yr own liquer, eh?)
more math: threshold levels for "feeling" cocaine seem to be around 5-10 mg, and typical doses range from 25-50 mg up to ridiculous amounts ("heart attack quantities" eh?) - so a coulpe/few teabags ought to supply a fairly decent "lift" ...
ymmv...
~

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Coca [Re: gnrm23]
    #2225233 - 01/07/04 06:50 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

That would still be impossible to get high. 1/400th of a gran to an ounce of syrup
Quote:

"mere trace" is impossible to say, but we do know that by 1902 it was as little as 1/400 of a grain of cocaine per ounce of syrup.

mj

Yhere are 1000 milligrams to a gram and 1000 micrograms to a milligram

OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

#2226322 - 01/07/04 03:24 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Hold on guys,from a brief scan of your posts I don't think it's clear that I was referring to the presence of significant amounts of active coca leaf in AGWA NOT coca-cola!

--------------------
"Arafel."

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
    #2226962 - 01/07/04 08:32 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

He was showing that coca can have the cocaine removed in reguard to this...

Quote:

you can't "remove the cocaine" from the coca leaf.

it can be done and is done all the time, furthermore if you read up on the link you provided you would have seen this...

Quote:

?Claims that AGWA contains cocaine are false,? says Andrew Stodart, Vice President, North America, Babco International. ?Before AGWA was approved for sales in Ontario, it was specially tested for traces of cocaine, and none was found.?

right here... http://www.agwabuzz.com/buzz/story.php?idnum=1

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #2227324 - 01/08/04 01:31 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

yeah my grandpa told me you could get geeked on a 12 pack of coca cola

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order