Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
The American poor.
    #2226652 - 01/07/04 05:24 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

First some tidbits....

Forty-six percent of all poor households actually own their own homes. The average home owned by persons classified as poor by the Census Bureau is a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.
Seventy-six percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, 30 years ago, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.
Only 6 percent of poor households are overcrowded. More than two-thirds have more than two rooms per person.
The average poor American has more living space than the average individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other cities throughout Europe. (These comparisons are to the average citizens in foreign countries, not to those classified as poor.)
Nearly three-quarters of poor households own a car; 30 percent own two or more cars.
Ninety-seven percent of poor households have a color television; over half own two or more color televisions.
Seventy-eight percent have a VCR or DVD player; 62 percent have cable or satellite TV reception.
Seventy-three percent own microwave ovens, more than half have a stereo, and a third have an automatic dishwasher.

Say it isn't so! Why they'd be better off dead!

In good economic times or bad, the typical poor family with children is supported by only 800 hours of work during a year: That amounts to 16 hours of work per week. If work in each family were raised to 2,000 hours per year--the equivalent of one adult working 40 hours per week throughout the year--nearly 75 percent of poor children would be lifted out of official poverty.
Work harder. What a horrible concept actually expecting people to work.!!

But if poverty means lacking nutritious food, adequate warm housing, and clothing for a family, relatively few of the 35 million people identified as being "in poverty" by the Census Bureau could be characterized as poor.3 While material hardship does exist in the United States, it is quite restricted in scope and severity. The average "poor" person, as defined by the government, has a living standard far higher than the public imagines.
Sounds terrible!

It's an informative read which shows pretty much what the "righties" here have been saying. The myth of rampant poverty is just that, a myth.

I hope many of you "lefties" read it.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: The American poor. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2226660 - 01/07/04 05:30 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds like an overbroad definition of "poor".

What about the 27% who have less than one vehicle, less than one place to live, less than one meal a day, less than one times the amount of money needed to go to the doctor to treat their "walking pneumonia".

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Edited by Baby_Hitler (01/07/04 05:37 PM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: The American poor. [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2226662 - 01/07/04 05:33 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Sucks to be them. It's still not the Feds place to be stealing from me to give to them.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2226671 - 01/07/04 05:39 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Are you sure you're rich enough to really say that you are being stolen from?

Maybe you're getting more than your fare share too.

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
    #2226672 - 01/07/04 05:39 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Hence the division..since many of us DO think that it's the feds job to provide basic living conditions for the poor.
It's when I'm paying taxes for an unjust war that is only serving the purpose to get some rich assholes richer is where I get pissed off.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The American poor. [Re: Rono]
    #2226675 - 01/07/04 05:40 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

We'll be sending you a bill.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: The American poor. [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2226678 - 01/07/04 05:42 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Yes. I'm sure.

--------------------

Anonymous

#2226680 - 01/07/04 05:42 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Hence the division..since many of us DO think that it's the feds job to provide basic living conditions for the poor.

amend the constitution then. you can think whatever you want, but right now, the letter of the law says that it is not.

also... "the fed" doesn't provide anything for anyone. they take from some and give to others in a wonderful vote-buying scam called "the democratic party". it is not the federal government, but those who actually work, and who are robbed of their property by the government, who "provide"...

Edited by mushmaster (01/07/04 05:47 PM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#2226686 - 01/07/04 05:44 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

While it may be the Canoodian governments job, it is not the US governments jobs.

We have that pesky 10th amendment. Now, if only our shitty politicians would follow the constitution.

--------------------

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
    #2226779 - 01/07/04 06:41 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

luvdem: "Sucks to be them. It's still not the Feds place to be stealing from me to give to them."

take away the little that they get and soon enough im sure you'll find someone on your doorstep with a machete'.

Your thinking is so simplistic, that you fail to recognize all the other variables related to social security. A rise in crime is the most basic of these, a violent revolution would occur with time. Maybe you should start thinking about social programs in terms of pacification rather than theft.

whats your source by the by?

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: The American poor. [Re: Positronius]
    #2226797 - 01/07/04 06:50 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

whats your source by the by?

Thanks.

This was forgotten. My apologies to all.

Hard to read what wasn't linked to. I'm surprised no-one mentioned it earlier.

--------------------

Edited by luvdemshrooms (01/07/04 06:51 PM)

Anonymous

#2226827 - 01/07/04 07:14 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Your thinking is so simplistic, that you fail to recognize all the other variables related to social security. A rise in crime is the most basic of these, a violent revolution would occur with time. Maybe you should start thinking about social programs in terms of pacification rather than theft.

you can think that way if you like, but it doesn't make it right. it's still theft whether its "pacification" or not. i'd prefer the term "extortion" myself, but oh well...

OfflinePositronius
playboy

#2226831 - 01/07/04 07:16 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

from the website:

Our Mission
Founded in 1973, The Heritage Foundation is a research and educational institute - a think tank - whose mission is to formulate and promote conservative public policies based on the principles of free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom, traditional American values, and a strong national defense.

--wow, so...what they are basically saying is : we spew propaganda.

heres some more:

-In 2002, a family of four was deemed poor if its annual income fell below $18,556; a family of three was deemed poor if annual income was below $14,702

-the family's actual living conditions are likely to be far higher than the image most Americans have in mind when they hear the word "poverty."

um....what a pile of bullshit. First off, living off 18.5 grand and having 4 kids would be FUCKING rough. Secondly, how pathetically unproffesional of them to assume they understand how most Americans view poverty.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#2226838 - 01/07/04 07:21 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

1. What an unsurprising response.
2. Perhaps the family of four should have had the brains to remain a family of 2.

--------------------

OfflinePositronius
playboy

#2226868 - 01/07/04 07:32 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

"2. Perhaps the family of four should have had the brains to remain a family of 2."

perhaps perhaps perhaps. But if you dont help those kids, one day they are gonna be adults and probably end up costing you alot more money in the long run.

1. What an unsurprising response

-ugh...all you have to offer is quippy comebacks, no real debate. Okay, I've learned my lesson, you have nothing to offer in the way of intellectual sparring.

--------------------

Anonymous

#2226869 - 01/07/04 07:33 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

i'm a student. when i do work, i make a little more than minimum wage busting my ass working for a guy who's richer than i will ever be. paying for my education has so far put me thousands of dollars in debt. i don't even make enough money right now to pay federal income tax.

would it benefit me if the government forced other people to fund my education? of course it would. would i benefit from a boost in the minimum wage? provided i could still find work after such an increase, i'd certainly benefit. does taxing other people to pay for federal welfare programs directly take any money out of my pocket? not a penny.

i suppose you can chalk my beliefs up to typical self-interested capitalist greed. :smirk:

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2226907 - 01/07/04 07:56 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Haven't you herd of trickle up theory?

Didn't you tell me poor people were bringing you their checks?

Oh, em... :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2226912 - 01/07/04 08:01 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Would you give up the second ammendment so that rich people can finally be allowed to take over the world?

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #2227002 - 01/07/04 08:57 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

The actual condition of the poor does not bother Lefties as much
as the disparity between the classes.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: The American poor. [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #2227026 - 01/07/04 09:07 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

You're very close. I think what actually bothers them is that as much as they'd like to, there's nothing they can do to change it without force.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom