Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemoodelev8or
Lifes what youmake it
 User Gallery

Loc: Buckingham Palace
Guys, I need your advice please!
    #2225201 - 01/07/04 06:28 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I am getting hold of some Puerto Ricans this week, hopefully about 50 grams. This is a new strain to me, and the guy that has them tells me that they are very potent. I know dosage is subjective, but can you give me your views on the potency of this strain, and any dosage advice. I normally enjoy fresh Mexicans at around the 10-15gram mark, and like to stay around a level 1 to 2 trip.

Also I am lucky to have come across some Prozac (Fluoexitine) recently. I have heard that this is good to help you if your having a bad trip. Is this true? if so what sort of dose would you recommend.

Many thanks.

--------------------
I like to be one with the universe for a while, hang with the spirits and perform psychoanalysis on myself while the Floyd cast technicolour waves of sound around my dissolving ego......

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOsker246
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Guys, I need your advice please! [Re: moodelev8or]
    #2225216 - 01/07/04 06:34 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

well im not sure about your dosage needs. But yes prozac will help with a bad trip since its an SSRI and SSRI's greatly decrease the psychadelic expeirence.

Offlinemoodelev8or
Lifes what youmake it
 User Gallery

Re: Guys, I need your advice please! [Re: Osker246]
    #2225226 - 01/07/04 06:44 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Have you had any experience with this first hand? Some threads on the NG's seem to suggest that its a dangerous combo!

--------------------
I like to be one with the universe for a while, hang with the spirits and perform psychoanalysis on myself while the Floyd cast technicolour waves of sound around my dissolving ego......

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2225539 - 01/07/04 09:45 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Please do not mix prozac (psychotropic drug) with psilocybe mushrooms. The best method for a bad trip is the talk down method or a #5 or #10 valium.

Here from my shroom guide which apparently you did not read in the shroom hunting forum is the best medical advice when confronted with dysphoric reaction while on shrooms.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxX

Treatment for Psilocybian Intoxication

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The major dangers associated with psilocybin poisonings are primarily psychological in nature. Anxiety or panic states ("bad trips"), depressive or paranoid reactions, mood changes, disorientation and an inability to distinguish between reality and fantasy may occur. Recommended treatment for this type of poisoning should always be primarily supportive. Mycologist Dr. Joseph Ammirati of the University of Washington and his colleagues claim that "no specific treatment can be recommended for psilocybin poisoning in humans". Other doctors have "stress[ed] the importance of measures to reduce absorption of the toxins involved". This involves either, e.g., gastric lavage or emesis Lincoff & Mitchell, 1977; Rumack & Saltzman, 1978; Smith, 1978).

Emesis. 15-30 cc of ipecac syrup followed by large amounts of oral liquids (500 cc).

Supportive treatment: i.e. the "talk-down" technique is the preferred method for handling "bad trips". It involves non-moralizing, comforting, personal support from an experienced individual. This is further aided by limiting external stimulation such as intense light or loud sounds and letting the person lie down and perhaps listen to soft music.

Tranquilizers need only be used in extreme situations and are generally not considered to be necessary. Diazepam, 0.1 mg/kg in children, up to 10 mg in adults, may be used to control seizures.

According to Dr. Rick Strassman of the University of New Mexico, anti-psychotics have gone out of favor for the treatment of `bad trips'. Specifically, medicines with anti-cholinergic side effects, such as chlorpromazine, should not be given as these mushrooms can have marked anti-cholinergic effects of their own.

In 1988, Dr. Jansen noted that cases which present medically fall into several groups:

Those who have taken the drug with little knowledge of hallucinogens and in the absence of sensible persons who can take care of them. These are more likely to be adolescents. They may self-present but are more often brought for medical attention by their parents.

Those who fall as a result of impaired balance or muscle weakness and are knocked out or otherwise injured as a result.

Those who are having a `bad trip'. These may involve acute anxiety and panic, depression, paranoid reactions, disorientation and an inability to distinguish between reality and fantasy. Cases of idiosyncratic physical reactions such as cyanosis.

Those with recurring phenomena after the mushroom effects should have passed, including prolonged psychosis.

When the history is clear and the signs are suggestive of psilocybian intoxication, it is best not to artificially empty the stomach either by emesis with ipecac or by lavage. Treatment shows that emptying the stomach had no effect on the duration or intensity of the experience once psychological manifestations had properly commenced. Dr. Jansen maintains that unless there is a reason to suspect that a more toxic fungus has been ingested, or if the patient is a young child, induced emesis is not necessary, not helpful and may make the situation much worse if the patient is already aggressive and agitated.

Other doctors have also speculated that a lavage is not merited if psilocybian mushrooms have been positively identified as the source of discomfort. It has also been suggested that "gastric intubation can be difficult in these young patients who are often already distressed and not infrequently aggressive. Furthermore the mushrooms may block the standard lavage tubes [used] for drug overdoses."

The inherent danger from the ingestion of wild mushrooms lies not so much in the consumption of an hallucinogenic variety, but rather in the picking and eating of a toxic species which might resemble an hallucinogenic variety.

Dr. Gast?n Guzm?n (and his colleagues wrote that "field and laboratory studies strongly indicate that psychoactive mushroom use as it normally occurs does not constitute a drug abuse problem or a public health hazard" (Guzm?n et al., 1976). In addition, a recent survey conducted among college students in California, suggests that "the low frequency and few negative effects of [hallucinogenic mushroom] use indicate that abuse does not present a social problem, nor is there evidence for predicting the development of a problem" Thompson et al., 1985).

Alleged Flashbacks In 1973, Dr. Hall was the Principal Research Officer of the Narcotics Section of the Commonwealth Police Force in Canberra. Dr. Hall had also reported that several drug users had been experiencing recurring `flashbacks' from mushrooms that were similar to `flashbacks' which were associated with LSD consumption. According to Dr. Karl L. R. Jansen, there is not any firm evidence that mushroom `flashbacks' can occur. Researchers in 1983, have reported that out of 318 specific cases of Psilocybe intoxications occurring in England between l978-l981, 21 patients experienced `flashback phenomena of some form' for up to four months after ingestion", and also mentioned that some of these were the result of drug synergy and polydrug abuse. "...However, with such a controversial phenomena as `flashbacks', it is necessary to specify precisely what form these do take, so that they may be distinguished from psychological stress reactions wrongly attributed to past drug use." Dr. Hall also pointed out that "if solutions of mushroom extracts were injected intravenously, the results could be very serious." There are no known cases of such injections, and it seems extremely unlikely that anyone would attempt this.
By John W. Allen
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

mj

Offlinemoodelev8or
Lifes what youmake it
 User Gallery

Re: Guys, I need your advice please! [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2225607 - 01/07/04 10:14 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks so much for the advice. can you just explain why Prozac is bad to mix with shrooms?

--------------------

InvisibleOsker246
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #2226789 - 01/07/04 06:47 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

yea im curious also I thought prozac was an SSRI.

OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, USA Flag
    #2226804 - 01/07/04 06:54 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

i dont think its nessacarily bad for you. but ssri's are funny things, there are some people that it makes them even more depressed(kinda rare). but if you are worried about having a bad trip, or just want to be prepared, invest in some valium or some xanax. these will work way better than any ssri

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

Anonymous

#2226871 - 01/07/04 07:34 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

mj why don't you go ahead and explain to everyone why prozac and shrooms are a bad mix

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Guys, I need your advice please! [Re: ]
    #2227637 - 01/08/04 06:58 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I am not a pharmacologist but I respect the advice otf Dr. Strassman who says:

Quote:

According to Dr. Rick Strassman of the University of New Mexico, anti-psychotics have gone out of favor for the treatment of `bad trips'.

And if you have access to a University library than I suggest you read these two following books om mushroom poisonoing and treatment.

Rumack, Barry and Emanuell Saltzman (Eds.). 1978. Mushroom Poisoning: Diagnosis and Treatment. 263pp. CRC Press. West Palm Beach.
One of two books dealing specifically with psilocybian mushroom poisoning and other toxic muhrooms. In this particular book, several papers regarding case histories and treatment for psilocybian intoxication are presented. The second book on mushroom poisoning is Lincoff and Mitchell's Toxic and Hallucinogenic Mushroom Poisoning.

Lincoff, Gary and D. H. Mitchell, M.D. 1977. Group 6: Psilocybin-psilocin (hallucinogenic poisoning). Toxic and Hallucinogenic Mushroom Poisoning:9-26, 100-135. 267pp. Van Nostrand Reinhold. New York.
A physicians handbook of mushroom toxins presents a brief history on the traditional use of entheogenic mushrooms in Mesoamerica. Their rediscovery by western society and descriptions of several well known and sought after North American varieties are presented. Dosages are included but caution should be given regarding proper dosage. Treatment for this class 6 type intoxications are also presented

mj

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #2227640 - 01/08/04 07:00 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Remember that if someonehere at the Shroomery said he foes prozac with shrooms and that is great, well He is not a pharmacologist and givng unsound medical advise can be very dangerous. What makes one person feel good could kill another.

InvisiblePinback
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
    #2228359 - 01/08/04 01:01 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Since fluoxetine is not an antipsychotic drug, his statement really doesn't apply. Prozac (fluoxetine) is used as an antidepressant and for treatment of compulsive disorders.

There is a study showing that chronic administration of SSRIs lower the effect of LSD, but I don't know if that can be applied to using it for stopping a bad trip. Be cautious.

InvisibleUv1
enthusiast

Loc: Bloom County
Re: Guys, I need your advice please! [Re: Pinback]
    #2239391 - 01/13/04 01:46 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Like pinback said, fluoxetine is not an anti-psychotic, and does not have any noticeable immediate effects (actually it is negotiable whether it has _any_ effects at all). In my experience, you can eat mushrooms while on fluoxetine, only that the ssri might make the psychedelic intoxication a bit shorter, but not less intense.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder