Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Laminar Flow Hood

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
Mobius's Quick & Easy Multi-Syringe Tek *PICS*
    #2226234 - 01/07/04 04:47 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

So, I've been using this tek I came up with for making spore syringes for a while now and it's proven to be quite successful, so I figured I would share.

When I get a spore print the first thing I do is stuff it inside of a small zip-lock baggie - so I came up with the idea of using that baggie as the basis of a new tek for making syringes from spore prints.

This tek is based on using up the whole print at once, so you need to have a number of syringes ready for the process. Here's everything you need:

• Spore print
  • Clean syringes
  • Pyrex measuring cup
  • Rubbing Alcohol
  • Small cup for rubbing alcohol
  • Empty bottles (same # as syringes)
  • Source of open flame (I have a gas stove)

First, fill the measuring cup with water and stick it in the microwave for 4 minutes. That will boil the water, but because pyrex is so smooth it might not actually bubble - if it doesn't you may want to break the surface of the water with a sterilized fork to keep it from exploding (No, I'm not kidding!)

Now, take each syringe and fill it with the hot water and purge it a few times. On the last draw, be sure to do it slowly or you might get a ton of air in the syringe as well.

Next, fill the bottles with cold water and place a syringe in each. You probably want to do this over the sink so you don't get water everywhere. Then, set a time for ten minutes and walk away. The point of this step is to cool the syringes quickly - dunking the syringes like this will actually cool the syringes faster than your freezer would!

After 10 minutes the syringes will be cool so you can move on. Since the cooling water wasn't boiled you should first sterilize the needles of the syringes. I prefer to flame sterilize and then cool in the rubbing alcohol.

Now, just *barely* open the baggie containing the spore print and squirt in the water from all of the syringes. Once you're done, reseal the baggie.

Now you can lay the baggie flat and, with your fingernail, gently scrape all of the spore print into the water.

Now, because I'm paranoid, I like to re-sterilize the syringes here, but that's just me. When you're ready, gather up the baggie so all of the water is in one corner and mix up the water by squeezing the baggie a few times.

Then, one by one, stick the syringes into the baggie (above the water line) and suck out the water. You should mix between syringes so they end up being somewhat evenly distributed. Congrats! You now how some spore syringes. Stick them in the fridge for 24 hours before you use them and then have at it!

Hope some folks find this useful!

--------------------
By "I", I of course mean a good friend of mine who happens to live in the fine city of Amsterdam. "I" is just so less awkward.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleYarry
Old Timer
 User Gallery

Re: Mobius's Quick & Easy Multi-Syringe Tek *PICS* [Re: mobiusrunner]
    #2226256 - 01/07/04 04:52 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Looks pretty good for making lots of syringes. Instead of bottles couldnt u just dip them in a bowl of cold water? Have u had many contams this way?

--------------------
Grumpy Old Man.

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
Re: Mobius's Quick & Easy Multi-Syringe Tek *PICS* [Re: Yarry]
    #2226274 - 01/07/04 04:59 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Well, just to be careful, I don't like to get the rear seal of the syringes wet. Also, this way as much external surface area of the syringe is touching water as possible - this helps make sure the syringes cool off quickly.

I've made up many batches of syringes this way and haven't had a contam yet.

--------------------
By "I", I of course mean a good friend of mine who happens to live in the fine city of Amsterdam. "I" is just so less awkward.

Offlineoutaker
cack
    #2226285 - 01/07/04 05:03 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Okay, I'm no master at using a spore print. Hell, I've never even seen one, besides on a computer screen.

I'm assuming the bag is sterile, and you put the spore print in the bag WITH the water? Or is that like a second bag with the spore print, and that whole thing is in a bag of water?

Either way, thanks a bunch for this info. My grasshopper plans to make one as soon as he can get a print from a mature mushroom.

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
Re: Mobius's Quick & Easy Multi-Syringe Tek *PICS* [Re: outaker]
    #2226315 - 01/07/04 05:21 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

When I make spore prints I make them inside of small disposable tupperware (Gladware and the like). When the cap is done dropping spores, I take it off and, with a sterile set of tweezers, move the print into the ziplock bag. I just keep all of my prints in baggies like that.

When I'm ready to make a syringe I just use that same baggie - I never take the print out - which is why I like this tek. :-)

--------------------

Offlinedaywalker
Do you dream in color?

Loc: in my skin
    #2226612 - 01/07/04 07:07 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Nice tek. Thanks for sharing.

I for one, handle the printed media (foil, glass whatever) by hand, so I would have to rub some alcohol on the media to get it clean before putting in the baggie with water. I would also do this with prints I receive from trades or what not but for sterile prints made firsthand, this sounds like a nice method.

:thumbup:

--------------------
"I suggest we ... learn to love our ... selves before it ... becomes illegal."

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
Re: Mobius's Quick & Easy Multi-Syringe Tek *PICS* [Re: daywalker]
    #2226691 - 01/07/04 07:50 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks!

You're right in that it's not a tek for everyone - but when you have a sterile print and want to just move it to syringes in one step it works pretty damn well.

When I'm working with any of my mushrooms in any form I always wear latex gloves - helps keep me from making stupid goofs that would ruin an entire run. I don't have a real glovebox or hood, and my kitchen alternates between relatively clean to a fucking pig sty so this tek was inspired by wanting to keep the process as encapsulated as possible.
:grin:

--------------------

Offlinenife
I'm Dead
Male
    #2226776 - 01/07/04 08:40 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks

--------------------
Protect Your Rights
Freedom Card

Offlinefungulus

#2227698 - 01/08/04 10:05 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Great Tech! And I like the safety tips. I just recently heard about "exploding water" on the Disc. channel. Reality is stranger than fiction, man.

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
Re: Mobius's Quick & Easy Multi-Syringe Tek *PICS* [Re: fungulus]
    #2227744 - 01/08/04 10:37 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

The first time I I did this I pulled the cup out the microwave and it suddenly bubbled like mad - that was truely a WTF?!?! kind of moment! So, I looked it up on the net, and sure enough, water microwaved in a smooth container may not have any nucleation sites (where bubbles can form) and hence get *hotter* than boiling without actually bubbling. Then one good jostle, and it boils all at once - depending on how hot the water is, it could actually explode.

--------------------

Invisiblejavacap
hazelnut

#2339518 - 02/16/04 01:54 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

when you flame sterilize the needle, how exactly do you handle it right after that in open air, if not using the oven tek or a glove box or flow hood? also, how do you keep the baggie and spore print sterile when putting the print into the bag?

--------------------
Magic Theater Not For Everyone
-Steppenwolf

OfflineMex
Mother Earth
Male

Loc: ITA ~ Earth ~ 13:20
Re: Mobius's Quick & Easy Multi-Syringe Tek *PICS* [Re: javacap]
    #2339853 - 02/16/04 03:30 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Good and helpful tek man! :thumbup:
I'll check it out personally as soon as possible!

--------------------

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2339957 - 02/16/04 04:35 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Very nice!!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Laminar Flow Hood

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation