Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Agar, Cordyceps, Paul Stamets, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineucsdmolpath
Stranger
Seeking Reishii & Maitake spores and/or mycelia...
    #2224830 - 01/07/04 02:57 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hi everyone,

I am a novice to mushroom cultivation, but long time orchid grower and molecular biologist...I would like to begin cultivating reishi and maitake, but have not found places to buy starter cultures or spores.  I am in San Diego. 

I would like to start from scratch, creating my own media/jars to innoculate with spores or mycelia that I would buy...

If anyone could point me in the right direction for reishii and maitake suppliers, that would be most helpful.  Unfortunately I am still a poor graduate student and will be for another few years...so the resources should preferably be affordable for a limited budget....(I'm not planning on mass farming these mushrooms, just growing as a hobby...)  Also, any pointers on growing these guys would be great. 

Thanks for your help in advance!

P.S., a side note...has anyone heard about the feasibility of cultivating Cordyceps?  This would be another shroom I'm interested in cultivating if I am ever successful with the other two :smile:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Seeking Reishii & Maitake spores and/or mycelia... [Re: ucsdmolpath]
    #2225583 - 01/07/04 12:06 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hey ucsdmolpath;

Reishi cultures are widely available, I'm sure many people here can help you out. You might have luck with your Maitake request as well.
If I ever wanted to 'start fresh', I'd order a kit from a Shroomery Sponsor. The kits are available here and range from 10-30 bucks each. The advantage [to me] is that you can take a kit, subculture from it and have [presumeably, according to vendors] good genetic stock to go back to. You then have remaining a colonized mass that you can test out any fruiting environment(s) you have contrived while you grow up more.

Both of these species [actually every species I've ever worked with] do well on birdseed, but any spawn should work. If this is your first delving into this area, you might do well to check out Rush Wayne's peroxide manual [search here, the basics should be around somewhere].
Cordyceps. . .actually fruiting it is something that even Stamets does not do. For his medicinals he extracts from colonized substrate. I tried a brief experiment with some mealworms, but no fruits resulted:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=560821&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

There are some questions regarding a Paecilomyces [fungi 'imperfecti] life stage of this organism, and whether the genetics from a cloned fruitbody are sufficient to produce fruitbodies again. I have a culture of it somewhere, but haven't worked with it in a long time.

Edited by Suntzu (01/09/04 11:12 AM)

Offlinefloccopus
d-fractionated

Loc: valley
    #2226198 - 01/07/04 04:38 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

suntzu has said it all, except that maybe buying from a huge purveyor is akin to doing all your shopping at wal-mart. very few companies that sell kits are selling crap. the kits i get of maitake are five pound blocks, enough to make a couple hundred jars. easy. they sell for twenty bucks or so. rainforest mushrooms in eddyville oregon sells kits for all kinds of edibles, and always has high quality product. i would venture to say that most of the maitake sold in stores in oregon come from Rainforest. a kit is a shitload of mycelia to experiment with, as long as you can do sterile work, one kit should do it....
good luck.
oh...can anyone refer me to a good link for dowel preparation? info seems scanty, or i can't seem to formulate a good search...
werd.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Seeking Reishii & Maitake spores and/or mycelia... [Re: floccopus]
    #2226289 - 01/07/04 05:06 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

There's no reason [other than effort] not to PC dowels, but I never do it anymore. Just heat soaking/boiling, overnight soaking, etc. does an adequate job. A sprinkling of birdseed spawn has always worked for me. Here are some links, there may be better ones with a better 'search'.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...ev=#Post1037097

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Offlinefloccopus
d-fractionated

Re: Seeking Reishii & Maitake spores and/or mycelia... [Re: Suntzu]
    #2227365 - 01/08/04 04:00 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

oh yeah, i remember those posts. it's that "dowl" thing that got me.
my rice cooker seems to like dowels. it's just hard to remember that wood is "hard" to contaminate. thanks suntzu.
maitake, maitake.

OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

#2230438 - 01/09/04 07:31 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Sporeworks offers both a primary Reishi culture in a nutrient broth syringe (10cc) and a Reishi Grow Kit that includes a culture syringe and a 3-5lb Myco Environment Bag of presterilized wood. The kit runs $30 and the primary culture syringe is only $18 plus shipping.

http://www.sporeworks.com/ganoderma.html

http://www.sporeworks.com/reishikit.html

The kit produces Reishi well and the culture will allow you to go in any direction you wish.

The cultivation of Cordycep mushrooms is vey difficult because they only fruit from select species of catapiller. There are some labs that claim to have cultured a Cordycep that will fruit from grain based mixtures but it's highly doubtful you'll be able to obtain their culture. Most Cordycep cultivation involves culturing the mycelium, which apparently contains many of the same medicinal properties as the actual fruits. However, even in this endeavor it is diffcult to know if you are truely getting a real cordycep culture as you would not be able to confirm it by producing the fruits that would positively ID it.

Hope you find this helpful!

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Seeking Reishii & Maitake spores and/or mycelia... [Re: psilocyber]
    #2230687 - 01/09/04 11:17 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I have to apologize for encouraging people to go to vendors who do not contribute to what we have here. Please support the Shroomery sponsors---SINE QUIS NON.

Offlinefloccopus
d-fractionated

Re: Seeking Reishii & Maitake spores and/or mycelia... [Re: Suntzu]
    #2233153 - 01/10/04 02:01 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

ahhhhhhhhh.
the internet.
skewing the lines and borders of society, yet offering information on tap to those who seek.

i guess i still want to see people buy things near them and cut out all the transportation aspects as much as possible. that doesn't mean everything is perfect. my clothing wasn't made down the road, nor my car, nor my coffeepot, etc. and the source i suggested, if the next few weeks pan out, may be competition for me, even. i still promote his business because i have met him, and i have eaten food he has grown, and i respect him for growing organic grifola. not to mention his shiitake, hericium, and oysters, all of which he sells kits for.

but i guess he wouldn't advertise at the shroomery, and if he were to, would it help him sell his products? he sells mushrooms. the kits are a side thing he did for christmas. i'm conflicted.

i have purchased things from vendors who advertise here, and the list of things that you can get through the mail is immense. and necessary. but a five pound block of colonized wood is a silly thing to ship all over the place. better to pick one up nearby, or just get cultures.

i don't know why i was prompted to wax on so...
guess maybe i felt like i too had stepped on the shroomery's toes.

i say practice with oysters. do agar work. once you know how easily transfers can be done and how to keep stuff clean... move on to the hard stuff (gateway mushrooms) THEN buy a culture, or clone something storebought. the oppurtunities for trading here are immense.
that's what i encourage more than anything. trade.

talk amongst yourselves.....

Offlineinner_adept
shrmstr

Loc: USA
    #2241426 - 01/14/04 01:20 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

www.fungi.com is where you can find reishi spawn plugs and any other mushroom needs.been in buisness a very long time.this is where i ordered my reishi and shiitake spawn.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Agar, Cordyceps, Paul Stamets, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms