Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleOkEyToKeY
For any Christians who may have an interest in converting... *DELETED*
    #2224439 - 01/06/04 10:06 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by OkEyToKeY

Reason for deletion: .

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
Re: For any Christians who may have an interest in converting... [Re: OkEyToKeY]
    #2224483 - 01/06/04 10:26 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I have left Christianity a few years ago, one of the best decisions of my life.  :thumbup: This should be an interesting thread..

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: For any Christians who may have an interest in convertin [Re: OkEyToKeY]
    #2224500 - 01/06/04 10:31 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I have been atheist my entire life, and intend on staying so.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

InvisibleOkEyToKeY
Re: For any Christians who may have an interest in converting... *DELETED* [Re: chodamunky]
    #2224505 - 01/06/04 10:34 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: For any Christians who may have an interest in convertin [Re: OkEyToKeY]
    #2224523 - 01/06/04 10:40 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

My roommates are Christian. They even pray before every meal and before bed. I want to convert them. Religion, what a product of society!

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
Re: For any Christians who may have an interest in convertin [Re: daba]
    #2224531 - 01/06/04 10:43 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

haha, I remember the first words I said when I woke up and the last before I fell asleep were prayers. I was afraid that if I didn't pray Jesus would come to me at night and scold me. ack!

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: For any Christians who may have an interest in converting... [Re: OkEyToKeY]
    #2224674 - 01/06/04 11:26 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

If I make an appearance on this thread for the purpose of saying "ROFLMAO", does this mean I have a subconscious desire to be converted???

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleOkEyToKeY
Re: For any Christians who may have an interest in converting... *DELETED* [Re: Frog]
    #2224710 - 01/06/04 11:48 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2224723 - 01/06/04 11:54 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Christians...draw your swords!!!

CHARGE!!!

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2224740 - 01/07/04 12:01 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Wait, I only wanted to "ROTF (and) LMAO". If I start actually answering questions, does that mean I'm doubting my Christianity???

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2224785 - 01/07/04 12:28 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

OkEyToKeY said:
Firstly, by entering this post, you must on subconscious level, have some desire to leave Christianity behind you in a cloud of enlightenment. I welcome you, and/or your subconscious to this post.

Second, what is the BIGGEST influence that allows you to believe in Christianity? What's the strongest factor that keeps you believing in it, or how specifically does Christianity warrant your belief?

And, lastly, what is the one most discomforting thing about your life that Christianity seems to comfort you for? Be very detailed, please. What kind of experiences have you had, and how have you felt about, these beliefs supporting your way of thinking?

Prepare your subconscious!

Okay, but *sigh*, don't hold my beliefs against me!

Quote:

Firstly, by entering this post, you must on subconscious level, have some desire to leave Christianity behind you in a cloud of enlightenment.

I absolutely do NOT have a subconscious desire to leave my beliefs behind me.

Quote:

Second, what is the BIGGEST influence that allows you to believe in Christianity? What's the strongest factor that keeps you believing in it, or how specifically does Christianity warrant your belief?

I was raised Catholic, but I reformed when I was 18, because I didn't like the "rules". When I was about 7 years old, I was writing poetry about God. My love for God. I know, very strange.

I loved God until I was about 13, but a series of problems in my family caused me to doubt God, and I stopped "listening".

When I was 16, I went on a "search", the first one in Orange County. I was reconnected with God.

But the family problems continued, so I lost touch with God again.

I also heard (stupid) Christians say that if I loved God enough, I could overcome my problems. So I figured that if God didn't love me when I couldn't let go of my problems, then I must not be a good Christian. So I let go of God again.

But as I grew, and learned, and read, I realized that God loved me regardless of where I was at in my life. I didn't have to do anything to gain God's love.

Now, I believe that God looks after me. I try to be "good". But not because being "good" will get me into heaven. Because, like the apostle Paul says, because it pleases God. This also ties into karma, btw.

Quote:

And, lastly, what is the one most discomforting thing about your life that Christianity seems to comfort you for? Be very detailed, please. What kind of experiences have you had, and how have you felt about, these beliefs supporting your way of thinking?

I can't think of anything in my life that is discomforting that is comforted by being a Christian. Can you ask a more specific question?

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #2225170 - 01/07/04 06:01 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Being in Christ precludes any involvement in an organized Christian Church, but 'Being in Christ' is the Christian faith's words for living in a state of spiritual enlightenment. Now, just because another tells you that [s]he is enlightened doe not make it so, and neither will posting on a Shroomery thread. However, I became a Christian on my own, even though rejected by my faithless and materialistic peers as well as my unobserving but nevertheless Jewish family. It was the most important change of attitude I ever made, and I made it in 1976.

My life has been enriched spiritually with unprecedented insight, enriched me intellectually (hunger to Know more propelled me through degree programs in philosophy, theology and psychology), has shaped my ethics and morals, provided me with an all-pervading peace (despite the little surfaces neuroses) that many have commented on over the years, and which cannot come from drug use, and has been THE model for my human development. In addition, and certainly worth noting (as I have in another thread), the dictate to: 'Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven and its righteousness, and all things will be added unto you,' turned out to be completely True. Despite the losses and disappointments in my life, I have, with what seems minimal effort, 'been given' a wonderful career niche which allows me to practice Compassion for a living, thereby transmuting a career into a spiritual discipline. I have also had money come my way unexpectedly on more than one occasion at a juncture when the perfect house suddenly became available, and then affordable. My health has been excellent, despite some minor surgeries, and unlike the rest of my family, I appear a good 20 years younger than I am, and still get ID checks on occasion. Perhaps most importantly is the level of my enthusiasm which still resonates with much of the idealism I had in my 20's, which is why I still hang with 20 and 30 somethings, because I don't fit in with the world-weary 40+ or 50 year olds who are chronologically the same age as me. Being in Christ is Being in Eternal Life, and it has been sustaining inside and outside of me - no difference.

So, before you go off with your very time-limited understanding of Being in Christ, or truly being Christian, you ought to listen to some witnesses of those who have benefitted as I have. And yes, although I still practice Yoga, it is a Christian [practicing] Yoga. I wrote a book on Tibetan Buddhism, 1983, Microfilms International Publishing entitled: 'A Phenomenological Adaptation of the Tibetan Buddhist Doctrine of Psychic Centers to a Metatheoretical Hierarchy of Human Motivation, ' 222 pages) and have more than a little knowledge of the world religions as well as several magickal and cultic systems. I have NEVER had any regrets, and give thanks continuously. Peace be with you. May you make the same discovery that I have.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
Re: For any Christians who may have an interest in converting... [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #2225178 - 01/07/04 06:11 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

How does one "be in christ" then? Really. How can I do it?

--------------------

OfflineOook
Oook!

Loc: England
Re: For any Christians who may have an interest in converting... [Re: Revelation]
    #2225207 - 01/07/04 06:30 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

MarkostheGnostic if you have knowledge of religions try and get the christians to apologise to the wiccan community for the witch hunts.
Christians have had reconciliation trips to the middle east to apologise to the arabic types, so why does the wiccan community not deserve the same treatment?

It seems odd that people claim god protects them, yet when people die or whatever it's said that he can't stop these things happening. I am neither refuting the existence of god or saying that god should rap everyone up in cotton wool.

I follow no religion myself but things like gaia theory make it seem likely that god set all of this out instead of it being a huge chain of random events.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: For any Christians who may have an interest in converting... [Re: Oook]
    #2226340 - 01/07/04 03:30 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Well, I have studied Wicca, and many years ago met Ray Buckland who was recruiting new witches for his Brentwood [Long Island] cove. I remember a beautiful young blond, in black leotards, wearing a gold pentagram - what a recruiting strategy! I never joined, but I remember fantasizing about the blond, practicing sky-clad...[ahem].

At any rate, not long ago I bought a set of male and female figurine candlesticks [God & Goddess] for the altar of a Wiccan friend of my Lady. I am not assuming any unrealistic role of spokesman for so-called 'Christian' atrocities. I do not belive that witch hunts were more than 'sexual politics' - keeping 'enchantingly' sexy women, or perhaps older 'wise' women (herbalists, midwives, Earth-Mother types) in terrible submission. These holocausts were anything but Christian, no matter what they called themselves. A real Christian is Christ-like in Compassion, mercy, forgiveness, loving-kindness. Anything else is a LIE - evil itself - a Satanic spirit misusing Scriptures in the guise of righteousness.

I can only speak for myself, and conduct myself based on my beliefs. I embrace the Wiccan ethic: 'An Harm Ye None.'

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: For any Christians who may have an interest in converting... [Re: Revelation]
    #2226393 - 01/07/04 03:54 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

From the Inner and the Outer, one must draw closer to Christ. Interiorly, one must decide to allow Compassion and conscience rule all of one's competing impulses. A beautiful married woman comes on to you. But what of her husband, who does not know what kind of woman he married? Out of Compassion to him, you turn her down - which means you have just crucified your sexual ego - you have allowed Compassion to Reign as 'King' in your Heart.

One familiarizes oneself with the Writings about Jesus the Christ. For me, I began with the Bible. The New Testament illumines the Old Testament ['The Old Testament is revealled in the New Testament, the New Testament is concealed in the Old Testament'). One need not stop at the canonical Bible - there are many Apocryphal Books that were excluded, and the Nag Hammadi library is in English - many new books on Jesus discovered only in 1945.

Prayer - the action of which is initiated not by our human minds, but by the Holy Spirit [Consciousness] which begins to be experienced in our own spirit [consciousness]. 'Seek and you shall find, ask and you shall receive, knock and the Door shall be opened to you'). When I pray, I do use a very basic 'formula' in which I ask or I give thanks to GOD in the Names of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, while drawing my mind into my Heart +++ Do not look for signs, signs will then become very clear to you. Remember, praying isn't merely speaking to the air [pneuma], but to the Spirit [Pneuma]. With practice, one loses one's self-conscious ego-mind that tells you how stupid you're being - like a little cartoon devil whispering in your ear.

Have Faith in this, it is Really Real and transcends our psychophysical life of reason and sensory perception. If your intention is sincere - if you seek Truth - you will see for yourself and you will Know. GOD Lives.

Peace be with you.

--------------------

InvisibleOkEyToKeY
Re: For any Christians who may have an interest in converting... *DELETED* [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #2226530 - 01/07/04 04:40 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#2232021 - 01/09/04 07:04 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

OK -
Firstly, there is nothing "vague" about the Christian formulation of Father, Son and Holy Spirit. If you wanted to read a brilliant explanation of these Names from a modern Existentialist Christian theologian, there is John McQuarrie's 'The Principles of Christian Theology.'

There are no writings "of" Christ, since Jesus of Nazareth never wrote. People wrote 'of' Jesus however, and several of Saint Paul's letters are deemed authentic by most scholars. The Gospels, with their 'empty tomb' narratives were written much later, and apparently served as liturgical pieces to be read on Jewish holidays, according to the Jewish calendar. Incidentally, whether you realize it or not, Jesus or Y'shua (in the Hebrew) or Issa - as his Mother Miriam (Mary) would have called Him in Aramaic - was thoroughly Jewish, and only clarified Judaism according to its earlier Abrahamic way. It is actually anti-Jewish to suggest that Jewishness can be removed from Y'shua. The Nazis themselves, under minister of propaganda Goebbels attempted exactly this - a false distillation of Universal Christhood from the Jewish Messiah - on the way to supplanting the Lutheran Church's cross with the swastika.

Please do not assume that I hold to the aspects of Christianity that you may have [mis]understood. For example, most Gentiles have no idea that the title 'Son of God' is used throught the Old Testament to refer to a King of Israel. The Divine Right of Kingship made one a son of God. The term was heard as unique by non-Jews even to today. The Scriptural words of 'Only Begotten Son of God' is an anthropomorphic device to refer to a unique event in history when the Eternal and Infinite God, rent the fabric of the space-time continuum, and manifested "in Christ." Now, the early Pauline formula of "God was in Christ," was very different from the later Johannine theology which looked at Jesus the Christ as 'God clothed in flesh.' For Paul, Jesus was the Messiah or Christ of God - a man specially and uniquely 'annointed' with a correspondance between the human will and the Divine Will. Jesus was for Paul, more than a man, more than a Prophet of God. We, can be adopted as 'sons and daughters of God,' but our human being, though allowing for an interpenetration of what the Orthodox call 'the Divine Energies,' and the possibility of our transformation 'into' Christ, is quite clear that the Ontology (Being) of Y'shua was not different from ours merely by 'degree,' but different from us in 'kind.'

Lastly, the God of the Bible is not the 'Christian God.' A Christian may be Godly, but God is not a Christian. God is not "energy" although the "Uncreated Energies" of Orthodox Christianity do use this description. However, God is Living Reality, not human, though many peoples and faiths recognize attributes (like "Allah the Merciful, the Compassionate"), and the higher esoteric mystical elite of most religions recognize that the Essence of God transcends the Nature of God which are God's attributes. God is 'at least' Personal, certainly not less than Personal, since we are persons, and our Designer is greater than we are, not lesser - but the Godhead is Transpersonal - Transcending anything we can know or comprehend. God is not Impersonal, less than Personal, and thus is never to be equated with the Universe - God's Creation/Emanation. If one is discussing theology, it is important to use theological language. The same is true in any discipline. A certain internal consistancy is necessary. Peace.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: For any Christians who may have an interest in converting... [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #2232501 - 01/09/04 11:31 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I like your posts. They remind me of seminary.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: For any Christians who may have an interest in converting... [Re: ]
    #2232530 - 01/09/04 11:45 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I like his posts, too.

I like big, long paragraphs, too.  In fact, I love big, long paragraphs so much that I retract my previously written request to break paragraphs up.

New edict:  From now on, everyone must run their paragraphs together.  No breaks.  That way, I won't have to read them any more.    :lol:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds