Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
IN VINO VERITAS
    #2215050 - 01/02/04 12:50 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

'IN WINE [there is] TRUTH,' reads a grape-clustered scroll-shaped ceramic sign that hangs above a doorway from my kitchen. Above the stove is a large frescoe of the god Eros receiving a cup of wine from the god Dionysus, while a dog licks drops falling from the wine-krater. Around the frescoe I've draped an artificial wreath of grape leaves and grape clusters. Above the other doorway to the living room, there is a small frescoe of Demeter and Persephone holding grain.

The first frescoe illustrates [tongue-in-cheek] sex and drugs, the other illustrates those feminine archetypes that represent the Eleusinian Mystery Rites - the psychedelic rite that endured for over 1000 years. The living room is the main space of our rites, and while dominated from one corner by a Christian votive table and an illuminated 3 foot framed Greek icon-poster of Jesus with the caption 'Holy Image-Holy Space,' there are nevertheless Pagan images in the room (Green Man masks, statues of Pan, Hermes-Mercury, Thoth, [which just arrived in the mail as I type!], dragons, sun-moon images carved in wood [and symbol of our Alchemical Marriage]). So, what am I trying to say here?

I'm attempting to integrate the opposites - and the Christian-Pagan elements at this Christmas-Yuletide season is included. Wine, as a symbol is both Christian and Dionysian, but the integration must be as integrating the Pagan into the Christian, if one is primarily Christian, not vice versa. No, receiving the Holy Eucharist while naked and wearing an ivy wreath is not the Way. Drinking wine, becoming inebriated, feeling joyful and expressing that joy through movement and (especially) through words to one another 'might' manifest the 'Truth' in wine. And while Dionysus [Dio=god] is god of intoxication, and madness, as well as wine, it should be pointed out that the wines imbibed in ancient Greece were not merely fermented grapes, but often contained various psychoactive herbs so that a dilution of 1 part wine to 20 parts water was sometimes necessary, or death could result! Persephone was collecting herbs at a place called 'Nysus' [as in Dio-'nysus' - the place of god] into a 'thyrsus' [hollow fennel stalk, and symbol of Dionysus] when Hades pulled her into the Underworld [too much exposure to narcotic herbs causing Unconsciousness?] These archetypes are related, but peripheral to the Central Archetype of the Self, which the Jungian-minded regard as Christ.

So, post-Christmas, we're having a wine and cheese party. Maybe, as a further experiment, I'll learn to integrate the Sacred Mushroom with Wine in a Eucharistic manner - not a party but a rite. Two separate occasions to manifest the Sacred and the Secular-but-Symbolic. Hope I didn't ramble too much. Peace.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: IN VINO VERITAS [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #2215071 - 01/02/04 01:05 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I saw the title from the main page and immediately started laughing.  :lol:

Nice thread Markos!

It sounds like your holiday season is a good one.

Merry Klondike Bar and Happy New Year! :heart:

MM

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: IN VINO VERITAS [Re: ]
    #2216159 - 01/03/04 01:54 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I wish you were here MM, I'm sure it would be celebratory [if there is such a word]!

--------------------

Invisiblemedicinebag
Hunting
Loc: The land of The People
    #2219397 - 01/04/04 10:41 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I agree. When they, powers/medicines, are treated as a rite, truth can be found. When they are not treated as a rite, lies can be found. Good luck finding truth...

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: IN VINO VERITAS [Re: medicinebag]
    #2222390 - 01/06/04 05:53 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Truth found me many moons ago. I seek now to demonstrate and illustrate how Truth can manifest in myth and culture both Christian and Pagan. The Truth is always playing a kind of hide-and-seek with us because we are still like babies in our abilities to understand. In turn, I enjoy looking for the Truth in dark and apparently unlikely places, but 'Lo, cleave a piece of wood and Truth is there, lift a stone and Truth is there.' In myth and magick, among bikers and strippers, in many but not in all. In evil, only the Lie exists.

--------------------

Invisiblemedicinebag
Hunting
Loc: The land of The People
    #2222680 - 01/06/04 09:24 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
The Truth is always playing a kind of hide-and-seek with us because we are still like babies in our abilities to understand. In turn, I enjoy looking for the Truth in dark and apparently unlikely places, but 'Lo, cleave a piece of wood and Truth is there, lift a stone and Truth is there.' In myth and magick, among bikers and strippers, in many but not in all. In evil, only the Lie exists.

:thumbup:

Offlinequemo
dontknowitall

Loc: worldcitizen
Re: IN VINO VERITAS [Re: medicinebag]
    #2223485 - 01/06/04 02:47 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

markos, may i ask your age and occupation in daily life?

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: IN VINO VERITAS [Re: quemo]
    #2224090 - 01/06/04 07:20 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

My atoms are as old as the Earth - born of our sun, Sol, and this present collection of atoms has made fifty and one half revolutions around Sol. I give professional counsel to adolescents and adults.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale