Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineIamHungry
Stranger
failure
    #2221980 - 01/06/04 01:49 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

lately ive been having horrible feelings like ive been failing. i feel like every time i try anything, i end up failing in front of the entire world. is anything like this normal? i try so very hard, but good fortune always seems to go to whomever does not deserve it. i dont mean to sound selfish, but is it ever going to be my turn?

--------------------
Here comes the sun, do n do do,
Here comes the sun, and I say,
It's alright...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Re: failure [Re: IamHungry]
    #2221994 - 01/06/04 01:59 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

OfflineIamHungry
Stranger
Re: failure [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2222000 - 01/06/04 02:03 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

thanks, i didnt see that before

--------------------
It's alright...

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2222007 - 01/06/04 02:12 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

IamHungry said:
lately ive been having horrible feelings like ive been failing. i feel like every time i try anything, i end up failing in front of the entire world. is anything like this normal? i try so very hard, but good fortune always seems to go to whomever does not deserve it. i dont mean to sound selfish, but is it ever going to be my turn?

Skorpivo, it was a good idea to direct him to the support group, but there's a good point in here.

What is failure? Why do some of us seem to get everything (especially the bad guys), and some of us "seem" to get nothing? What is good fortune? I think this was posted on a thread once, or something was said about it, but it is an elusive concept for me still, at times.

What are we chasing after? What is important? What is success?

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

User Gallery

Re: failure [Re: Frog]
    #2222013 - 01/06/04 02:14 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

"What is failure?  Why do some of us seem to get everything (especially the bad guys), and some of us "seem" to get nothing?  What is good fortune?  I think this was posted on a thread once, or something was said about it, but it is an elusive concept for me still, at times."

Is it now? What happened to Karma? :wink:

--------------------

OfflineIamHungry
Stranger
    #2222027 - 01/06/04 02:20 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i dont think its karma, though. im a genuinely nice guy, with nice friends, but im not very popular wherever i go. im a total loser in college, and in high school the only thing that kept me from being a loser is that my older brother was the most popular guy in his class, and i had an "in," so to speak. i try to be nice to everybody, but apparently that isnt the way people want to be treated, yet if i were to go around being an asshole everyone would hate me. i dont understand.

--------------------
It's alright...

OfflineIamHungry
Stranger
    #2222028 - 01/06/04 02:20 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i dont think its karma, though. im a genuinely nice guy, with nice friends, but im not very popular wherever i go. im a total loser in college, and in high school the only thing that kept me from being a loser is that my older brother was the most popular guy in his class, and i had an "in," so to speak. i try to be nice to everybody, but apparently that isnt the way people want to be treated, yet if i were to go around being an asshole everyone would hate me. i dont understand.

--------------------
It's alright...

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2222034 - 01/06/04 02:21 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I know! I know!

That's why this is important to me!

It has only been lately that I have come to the conclusion that what the world considers "success" is not what success "is".

If you asked the world, it would probably not view me as a success. I have not made a million dollars yet, I don't drive a fancy car, I don't have a fancy home.

Yet I "feel" successful. I have learned that what the world considers to be success is not my idea of success. My idea of success is learning the lessons life has to offer. Figuring life out. Doing the right thing. Being a good mom. Helping people.

We talked on another thread of "leaving our marks". No, not getting accolades, but doing something that is important for us to do. What we are here to do.

I think, that right now, I am successful because I am happy with what I have. Maybe that is success, learning to be happy with what you have and who you are.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineIamHungry
Stranger
    #2222068 - 01/06/04 02:33 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i agree 100%. my problem is that i am not happy with what i have and who i am. i dont even know who i am. im a single, fat, jewish college student who has used psychedelic drugs in the past. thats about it. i dont want accolades, frankly the responsibility scares me. basically i want to know what im here to do. i think oppportunity knocked but i was just a little too late answering the door because i was taking a shit.

--------------------
It's alright...

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2222078 - 01/06/04 02:39 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I remember being in college a long, long time ago. I felt like I was in a holding pattern. You can't really do anything yet, because you're not done with school. Yet school drags on interminably, and you feel like you're doing nothing with your life. Yet you are, it's just taking time.

Keep doing college. That's opportunity, in itself. You are fortunate for that opportunity. My understanding is that only 5% of the population has a B.A. or B.S. Keep learning. That's what we're here for. But keep your eyes open. Eventually, you'll see what it is you are supposed to do.

--------------------

OfflineShizpow
Street Samurai

Loc: Oregon
    #2222132 - 01/06/04 03:05 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

"i dont even know who i am. im a single, fat, jewish college student who has used psychedelic drugs in the past."

Wow...There's a lot of self loathing there, unless I miss my mark. Why did you single out the traits you consider to be your negative ones when describing yourself? (single, fat, and in this context I can only presume that you included Jewish as another limiting, detremental qualifier to who you are as well.) I think you'll be a much happier person when you realize that there's a lot more to who you are than a fat, single jew. Learn to stress your positive qualities, it's done wonders for me.

"basically i want to know what im here to do."

Here's another problem, as I see it. You're not here to do anything specific. None of us are. Destiny is a load of crap designed to imbue human beings who can't accept the fact that we're all "only" human with a little extra strength and order. Don't look at life as something that you're supposed to accomplish. It's not a chore. If you do, you might always feel like you're missing out. Do what you WANT to do. This will make you a much happier person. The trouble is that a lot of people find it difficult to admit to themselves what it is that they really want to do. They worry that it might not be what they're "supposed" to do, they worry that it might not be good enough. As if there were ever anything better than being content with what you like, being content with yourself. As if there were anything else at all.

--------------------
If you cut a face lengthwise, urinate on it, and trample on it with straw sandles, it is said that the skin will come off. This was heard by the priest Gyojaku when he was in Kyoto. It is information to be treasured.

User Gallery

#2222137 - 01/06/04 03:08 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

One thing that comes to mind about how the world views success is the differences between the western civilization and the eastern.

It seems that in the western, societies tend to be more career-oriented as far as goals and successes, ambitions, thrives, and so on....

And if you go more towards the eastern...that is, the Oriental...the societies seem to be more oriented towards finding spiritual success...inner harmony, peace...Zen&Feng Shui...things towards that nature.

both sides have their pros and cons....

But rather than saying either side is better or whatever....

What it really comes down to, is Balance. Yin and Yang.

--------------------

OfflineIamHungry
Stranger
Re: failure [Re: Shizpow]
    #2222192 - 01/06/04 03:43 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

no no no i did not intend at all to list my negative qualities, just the ones that people know me for. the single and fat parts are on my exterior, and the jewish part is how people closer to me see me.
thanks everyone for your support, but i just need some help figuring out what i like. i enjoy talking about physics and time travel and stuff like that, but so far i have not come across anyone who is willing to sit down and converse with me the way id like.

--------------------
It's alright...

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2223230 - 01/06/04 03:23 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Well, man, you came here, people will talk to you about stuff like that here. :grin:

Always remember that change is gradual, and that nothing is set in stone... even if you have a lot about you that needs fixing, always allow yourself the knowledge that you can stretch and pull and work your way to where you want to be...

*shrugs* Just live how you want to live, try to keep a positive attitude and fucking have fun... there is no purpose or meaning to this life, really, so if you aren't having fun, then why the hell not? :grin:

I'm sorry my thoughts aren't so clear, but I've got a headache that is the culmination of screaming kids and such, and I'm just trying to stay alive... :wink:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang: