Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
U.S. begins fingerprinting most visitors
    #2220325 - 01/05/04 12:50 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

ATLANTA - Foreigners entering U.S. airports and seaports from all but 28 nations are having their fingerprints scanned and their photographs taken as of Monday as part of a new program to tighten border security.

Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge, in Atlanta to help launch the program at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, told NBC's "Today" show Monday that the pilot program before the formal launch had led to 21 foreigners being denied entry because they had earlier been deported for criminal or other legal issues.

?We want to keep our borders open. We are a welcoming country but we want to secure the country as well," Ridge added. "We want them to come to the United States to work and to visit and to study, but we also need to make sure we have a record of who comes into the country and when they leave.?

Most passengers breezed through the fingerprinting and picture-taking Monday, spending only a few seconds more than they normally would at the Customs station where they?re asked about their visits.

Jan. 5: Tom Ridge, director of Homeland Security, discusses with "Today" host Katie Couric the start of the new registration program for foreign visitors.
Today show

All 115 U.S. airports that handle international flights and 14 major seaports are covered by the program, under which Customs officials can instantly check an immigrant or visitor?s criminal background.

Called US-VISIT, or U.S. Visitor and Immigrant Status Indicator Technology, the program will check an estimated 24 million foreigners each year, though some will be repeat visitors.

Some nations not affected
The only exceptions will be visitors from 27 countries ? mostly European nations whose citizens are allowed to come to the United States for up to 90 days without visas. Ridge said citizens from those countries will have machine-readable passports by October that provide the same information as what the U.S. system checks for.

Inkless fingerprints will be taken and checked instantly against a national digital database for criminal backgrounds and any terrorist lists. The process will be repeated when the foreigners leave the country as an extra security measure and to ensure they complied with visa limitations.

Countries waived
Residents from these countries will continue to enter the U.S. without being fingerprinted or photographed:
Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, San Marino, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Portugal and Singapore.

Homeland Security spokesman Bill Strassberger said once screeners become proficient, the extra security will take only 10 to 15 seconds per person. Foreign travelers also will continue to pass through regular Customs points and answer questions.

Photographs will be used to help create a database for law enforcement. The travel data is supposed to be securely stored and made available only to authorized officials on a need-to-know basis.

A similar program is to be installed at 50 land border crossings by the end of next year.

Brazil responds
Brazilian police started fingerprinting and photographing Americans arriving at Sao Paulo?s airport last week in response to the new U.S. steps.

Brazil?s Foreign Ministry has requested that Brazilians be removed from the U.S. list.

?At first, most of the Americans were angered at having to go through all this, but they were usually more understanding once they learned that Brazilians are subjected to the same treatment in the U.S.,? said Brazilian police spokesman Wagner Castilho.

Ridge countered that the United States was "prepared to live by one international standard" and that he felt it would become the system adopted by Washington.

Sept. 11 origin
The U.S. system consists of a small box that digitally scans fingerprints and a camera that snaps digital pictures.

Jan. 4: Starting Monday, the U.S. government puts in place a controversial security measure aimed at keeping tabs on foreign visitors. NBC's Joe Johns reports.
Nightly News

The new system will gradually phase out a paper-based system that Congress mandated be modernized following the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

A person whose fingerprints or photos raise questions would not be turned away automatically. The visa holder would be sent to secondary inspection for further questions and checks. Officials have said false hits on the system have been less than 0.1 percent in trial runs.

The system was scheduled to begin operation New Year?s Day but was delayed to avoid the busy holiday travel period.

Congress provided $368 million to produce the system and put it in airports, but only provided $330 million of the $400 million President Bush requested to put the system in land borders in 2004.

Does anyone besides me find this a little disturbing?...

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: U.S. begins fingerprinting most visitors [Re: Rono]
    #2220335 - 01/05/04 12:59 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

beat me to it...  :mad:

Well im sure once the screeners are efficient it will all be ok....i wonder how long it takes now?
I fail to see how this legislation can do more than create unecessary hasstle.  Another brilliant move by department of homeland security. :thumbdown:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #2221616 - 01/05/04 11:01 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I was just in the US, the Border Patrol had me wait in their office for about 20 minutes.  Luckily they didnt run a background check on me, I was gettin a little paranoid there. :smile:

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
    #2222205 - 01/06/04 03:55 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

brazil or maybe argentina has decided to do the same to all arriving US nationals....now thats funny.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #2222359 - 01/06/04 06:55 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

we should finger print and anally probe canoodians.....just to be safe. :thumbup:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
Re: U.S. begins fingerprinting most visitors [Re: Innvertigo]
    #2223568 - 01/06/04 05:23 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

yea, just incase they wanna smuggle some sweet BC bud in their assholes... :rolleyes:

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #2227723 - 01/08/04 10:21 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Interesting. I note that on the list of exempt countries, Canada and Mexico are conspicuous by their absence.

Seems odd that a Canadian or Mexican can enter the US through a land point without being fingerprinted, but not through a seaport or airport.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Re: U.S. begins fingerprinting most visitors [Re: Phred]
    #2228055 - 01/08/04 01:18 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Whats odd is that you have a country that is so afraid of 'terror' it fingerprints most ppl entering, in a sad attempt of making ppl feel safe, while conveniently accessing information about them.....

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
Re: U.S. begins fingerprinting most visitors [Re: Azmodeus]
    #2229152 - 01/08/04 07:49 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Azmodeus said:
Whats odd is that you have a country that is so afraid of 'terror' it fingerprints most ppl entering, in a sad attempt of making ppl feel safe, while conveniently accessing information about them.....

Do you think that the US shouldn't be allowed to monitor people that visit us from other nations? If you don't want to have your information entered into our databanks, you aren't required to be here. It's entirely optional wether or not you are fingerprinted.

Do you think that the US doing this is going against any Constitutional rights that we are guaranteeing to foreign visitors? Do you think that the US doesn't have the "right" to do this? I can't see what you are possibly upset about with this, as it doesn't seem to be too costly of a program and it could actually help to prevent terrorism.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: U.S. begins fingerprinting most visitors [Re: TheOneYouKnow]
    #2229160 - 01/08/04 07:51 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

:thumbup:

It should be done even if the only benefit is to help enforce our immigration laws.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #2229271 - 01/08/04 08:41 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

TheOneYouKnow said:
Do you think that the US doing this is going against any Constitutional rights that we are guaranteeing to foreign visitors? Do you think that the US doesn't have the "right" to do this? I can't see what you are possibly upset about with this, as it doesn't seem to be too costly of a program and it could actually help to prevent terrorism.

I'm open to correction on this, but weren't most of the 9/11 hijackers trained in the US? Didn't they move around freely in the US? Did they not have valid VISAs and passports? Also, the flights that they hijacked and crashed were internal flights were they not? In light of this, are all americans being fingerprinted on all domestic flights too? What is it about people outside of the US that makes them a higher risk than those inside?

It might be nice to know you'll have Mr Terrorist's fingerprints on file after he's crashed another plane, but how does that make anything more secure?

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #2230170 - 01/09/04 03:06 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

It is certainly the right of the US to take measures to secure it's borders against terrorists...
Isn't it a shame though, that the richest and most powerful country in the world bases it's security because of its fear of every other country.
And controls it's own people using fear tactics.

Pity :frown:

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

#2230904 - 01/09/04 01:32 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

TheOneYouKnow said:
[Do you think that the US shouldn't be allowed to monitor people that visit us from other nations? If you don't want to have your information entered into our databanks, you aren't required to be here.  It's entirely optional wether or not you are fingerprinted. 

Exactly.  US can do whatever it likes.  Its just that i wouldn't go there if i were an immigrant, ....

But hey, whatever helps you sleep at night....

Didn't the terror level drop to yellow?...all the new legislation must be working! :smirk:

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Re: U.S. begins fingerprinting most visitors [Re: Hanky]
    #2230920 - 01/09/04 01:38 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

hanky said:
brazil or maybe argentina has decided to do the same to all arriving US nationals....now thats funny.

Brasil was photoing, and interviewing american arrivals, but that policy has been temprarily put on 'hold'.

Agentina, i believe is trading with cuba now...brasil too...

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
Re: U.S. begins fingerprinting most visitors [Re: Edame]
    #2232272 - 01/09/04 11:04 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Edame said:
I'm open to correction on this, but weren't most of the 9/11 hijackers trained in the US? Didn't they move around freely in the US? Did they not have valid VISAs and passports? Also, the flights that they hijacked and crashed were internal flights were they not? In light of this, are all americans being fingerprinted on all domestic flights too? What is it about people outside of the US that makes them a higher risk than those inside?

I think that with the intensitifed effort internationally to crack down on terrorism, perhaps we can at the very least build a database of terrorists or their associates. I'd hope that our hugely funded intelligence agencies could at least do that, which would help us to track potential terrorists.
Quote:

It might be nice to know you'll have Mr Terrorist's fingerprints on file after he's crashed another plane, but how does that make anything more secure?

I think that the sentiment you are trying to convey is that it is important for this program to have a pro-active effect on the "War on terror", or more correctly, the protection of the American people. If our intelligence agencies, with increased funding and purpose, aren't capable of, at least, tracking known anti-American militants, we need to have a MASSIVE overhauling of those agencies

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
Re: U.S. begins fingerprinting most visitors [Re: Azmodeus]
    #2232286 - 01/09/04 11:13 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Azmodeus said:
beat me to it...  :mad:

Well im sure once the screeners are efficient it will all be ok....i wonder how long it takes now?
I fail to see how this legislation can do more than create unecessary hasstle.  Another brilliant move by department of homeland security. :thumbdown:

Would you conceded that this action was not impinging upon the rights of these travlers, that aren't forced to come here, and that their is some possibility of known terrorists being "fingered" as they attempted entry into the country.  It comes down to, really, the integrity and efficacy of the agencies tasked with entering known terrorists pictures and fingerprints into the system.  IFthe terrorists can be somehow entered into the system, it would be effective. That is a big if, and it's something that the people in the Senate Oversight Comitties assure happens.  I don't mind paying a lot of money in taxes to security such as this, as long as it has results.

--------------------
Opinions are like assholes; everyone needs one or else they'd explode

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
    #2232317 - 01/09/04 11:31 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

This is just a huge database for the national ID.

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
Re: U.S. begins fingerprinting most visitors [Re: TinMan]
    #2233319 - 01/10/04 03:47 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Not sure what "The national ID" is, but American travellers coming into and out of the US aren't being fingerprinted and so forth. They do have their picture ID present and their name is checked against the "Black List". I'd say that the US already has a huge database about it's citizenry.

--------------------
Opinions are like assholes; everyone needs one or else they'd explode

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
    #2235041 - 01/11/04 06:05 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Rono said:

Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge, in Atlanta to help launch the program at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, told NBC's "Today" show Monday that the pilot program before the formal launch had led to 21 foreigners being denied entry because they had earlier been deported for criminal or other legal issues.

Does anyone besides me find this a little disturbing?...

If the "pilot program" lead to the denial of entry for 21 people who had already undergone deportation procedures for criminal offenses, and this program would expand that, I think it is a wonderful idea.

Rono, do you think that these people should be allowed in (the ones that are mentioned in the article, "...had earlier been deported...") should be banned from reentering the United States? If you do, how do you propose we go about it, if you are against banning the people entirely, why?

Sorry to drag up an old issue, it's been a few days since I could sit and read.

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

#2237125 - 01/12/04 03:17 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

As a canadian i really don't care what paranoid measures teh americans institute, and justify wasting money on. I wouldn't go there even for a holiday.

It seems the americans feel it is a nescessary and effective system to deter potential terrorists..... so thats what americans get.
I see it as a calculated reaction, to introduce unescessary expenditeres, information stockpiles, and openings for corruption with unthoughtout legislation passed in fear.

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion