Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineHarbinger
The Power of theRiff Compels Me

Loc: Far Away
Guitarist input needed
    #2218500 - 01/04/04 01:38 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Lately I've been trying to get my palm muting down to an art but in the process the bottom right part of my right hand where the thumb meets the palm gets extremely sore and tightens up. All the downstrokes just take a toll on it I guess.Does anyone know any kind of stretch or warm up exercise I can do to not make it so sore? I've tried making up my own but they don't seem to work.

--------------------
Click the pic to hear some songs I've recorded.

:rockon:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: Guitarist input needed [Re: Harbinger]
    #2218541 - 01/04/04 01:59 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Same thing happens to me, I can go pretty fast for a while, but then it sets in and I slow down a lot.

OfflineHB
Male User Gallery

#2218605 - 01/04/04 02:35 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

i think the general rule is as applies to callouses ... the more you play the less it'll hurt ...

however, i don't want to say that in the case that i'm wrong and the condition is exacerbated

Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
Re: Guitarist input needed [Re: HB]
    #2218875 - 01/04/04 05:18 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

well... if its hurting you shouldn't keep trying to play. you can damage your hand by doing that, and then you'll never learn to properly palm mute. practice is all you can do to fix it. maybe try moving your hand to different positions that feel more comfortable. and always remember, if its not comfortable, its not good/right. if you are playing in a way that is uncomfortable or that hurts - you will hurt yourself. if going fast is a problem right now try to do up and down strokes. when i try those the upstrokes sound like crap, but if you learned to make yours sound good , you'd have quite a trick there cause you could do palm mute riffs faster than anybody.

--------------------

OfflineHarbinger
The Power of theRiff Compels Me

Loc: Far Away
Re: Guitarist input needed [Re: abhi]
    #2219084 - 01/04/04 07:26 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I guess I should have explained it better, it's from doing downs AND ups.....I was thinking maybe if I just did them slower then worked up the speed I could build up strength.

--------------------
Click the pic to hear some songs I've recorded.

:rockon:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2219322 - 01/04/04 09:55 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

At the risk of sounding cliche, it's all in the wrist. I had this exact same problem for a while, and it's even worse when that thumb to palm muscle cramps up in the middle of a live performance. I soon learned that there was several reasons for this happening:

1. Playing rapid alternate picking using mostly the forearm.

2. Playing too hard

3. Clutching the pick too tensely

The solution is simple.. learn to use minimal arm and wrist movement when playing fast. The less movement the better. 99% of the time, when palm muting and alternate picking, you want to use the wrist and only the wrist. Don't get your forearm and elbow involved, as that will only wear you out by wasting energy. They should remain stationary.. your wrist should be doing ALL the work. Quick and efficient movements.

2nd make sure you don't squeeze the hell out of the pick. Hold it firmly enough so that it doesn't fly out of your fingers when you hit the strings, but don't strain yourself. Relax.

Most importantly though is to use your wrist and make as little movements as possible. When palm muting, simply rest the side of your palm on the bridge while using your wrist to make small quick movements.

It just takes practice, you have to develop the proper technique to play efficiently and not wear your hands out. I'd suggest hours of practice per day, while paying close attention to how you are holding the pick and actually doing the picking as well as focusing on your left hand and normal practice things. Your picking technique is just as important as anything else. Most likely you are just stressing out the muscle in your picking hand with excess tension.. so loosen up a little bit.. and use your wrist. I'd suggest practicing alternate picking scales at fast tempos as well as downstrokes with palm muting..but remember.. palm muting applies wonderfully to alternate picking as well.

You can always exercise your hands which is good. There are two good ways that I know how to do that.. one is by playing guitar a lot, the other is with one of those hand exercisers or really dense stress balls that you squeeze. So work on your technique and strengthen your hand and all should be good.

Oh yeah.. and also.. self accupressure is easy. Simply massage your hand in circular motions in the muscle fibers and tendons and nooks and crannies and wherever it feels good. This helps loosen you up and your hand is less likely to cramp.

--------------------

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Guitarist input needed [Re: Shroomism]
    #2219575 - 01/05/04 01:17 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

shroomism said about all there is to be said about technique and improving..but i'm going to add one small thing that i see alot of people forgeting about...

As shroomism said the way you hold the pick is super important..alot of people hold the pick with their hand extended like with their middle, ring, and pinky finger sticking out as they strum/pick. This is the wrong way..you hand should look like a loose slightly opened fist while you hold the pick. Curl your extra fingers in so it's like a fist. This seems like a bitch at first but if you ever want to pick really fast it's the only way and it's the way all the jazz/classical greats do it. Train yourself to play like that and it should help you pick faster aswell and allow you to palm mute while putting less stress on your wrist.

You may already know that but you'd be suprised by how many people i meet that don't know that simple little trick.

--------------------
Religion is for people who are afraid of going to Hell; spirituality is for those who have been there.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Guitarist input needed [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #2219620 - 01/05/04 01:38 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

That is also a good point. One more thing I thought of was the angle you are holding the pick. If you are playing fast, you want to be holding the pick at a 45 degree angle from the strings..diagonally.. or even 90 degrees like +.. experiment until you find the angle that is most comfortable for you and allows the easiest plucking of the strings.

--------------------

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#2220031 - 01/05/04 07:05 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

put the knife edge of ur hand on the bridge saddles where it barely isnt touching the strings and roll it to a 45 degree angle. after you roll ur hand, it should be on the strings a bit. that is the best position to mute. i like using a light pick and choking up on it (holding closer to the point) when speed changes are called for. and loosen up that grip on the pick. if you can master palm mutes at that angle, it will force u to use the correct muscles.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
Re: Guitarist input needed [Re: automan]
    #2224210 - 01/06/04 08:12 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

also, you dont need big strokes to play louder. you can change dynamics by how tightly you hold your pick. hold it looser to play quiet and hold it tighter to play louder.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains