Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
dikaryotic strains and fruiting ability
    #2219417 - 01/05/04 12:54 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Can you check the fruiting ability of a dikaryotic strain without actually fruiiting it? Or am I confused and all dikaryotic strains have fruiting ability? Clamps form when a successful mating takes place and that results in a fruit producing strain?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
Re: dikaryotic strains and fruiting ability [Re: YidakiMan]
    #2219450 - 01/05/04 01:11 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I just read the mushroom genetics chapter in the Mushroom Cultivator no more than 2 hours ago and you can't know if a strain has some fruiting capabilities without actually trying to fruit it.

For your second question, I'm not sure if I remember well but I think that it's not all dykaryotic strain that has fruiting capabilities.  Some matting can occur between two incompatible alleles.  I think there's something like 1 dikaryotic strains out of 3 that has fruiting capabilities. 

I may have to read the chapter again tho :smile:.

One thing I know is when you do a multispore innoculation, you create so many dikaryiotic strains that 99% of times, the mass of mycellium will actually fruit.

hope it helps a little bit and I also hope someone else with some better knowledge than me will answer :smile:

.fs.

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
Re: dikaryotic strains and fruiting ability [Re: YidakiMan]
    #2220733 - 01/05/04 04:15 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

its a roll of the die if the strain is able to fruit. but only dikaryotic colonies can fruit, because they have a whole set of dna, where as monokaryotes have only 1 set. at least thats what i remember

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation