Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Loc: Alberta and Saskatchewan,...
Best beginner grow lab for the $$$?
    #2218647 - 01/04/04 04:59 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Hello again to all, thanks again for all the useful info you gave me on the last post. I have to tell you, I have been reading through the threads and posts here and there are truly some "mad scientist geniuses" among you. Makes me realize just how much someone like myself has to learn to become a member of the elite. Hats off to you boys. Now for some further assistance...

The following situation is purely of a hypothetical nature, however, for reasons of making it less confusing I will use my own handle as the main character and grower:

Detox and 4 of his friends were sitting around one night contemplating on how they just love to pop a couple grams of mush each on the weekend and head to a local night club, or just chill as a group. However, mushrooms in their area are very hard to come by, sometimes being a couple months between when they could come up with them. Detox listened to the steady bitchin goin on and his entrepreunurial instincts began to take hold. He made a deal with the boys and a plan was set. If he put up the money initially and was successful, the four friends would cover all his costs and they would from then on have their own personal supply and not have to worry any longer.

Detox has studied many different techniques on the board for both grow systems and casings, but some seem a little to advanced for his knowledge. On a side note, the post by Diploid entitled "Fully Automated Fruiting Chamber-Precision Humidistat (Pics)" was extraordinary, hats off to you bro. Also his techniques for growing his casings seemed amazing but also a little more advanced for someone like Detox. I think Detox has finally settled on a guide entitled "The Magic Mushrooms Growers Guide" at the following addy:

What Detox is wondering is, is this the best method for producing the amount of mushrooms I am talking about while still staying within about a $500 US or $700 CN budget?

In short, what would the best method practically fool proof for a beginner to grow a mass production lab (although not in the sense of a huge distributor but as in the above sit) while on a budget? This question not only pertains to the lab but also to the casing...

Thanks boys, I'll be awaiting your thoughts...

Knowledge is like a drug, once you sample it it can become addicting... I guess I just have an addictive personality...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Re: Best beginner grow lab for the $$$? [Re: Detox]
    #2218673 - 01/04/04 05:13 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Growing shrooms is a pretty inexpensive process. You can cut down that 500 dollars to about $50-75, if Detox knows someone with a pressure cooker (otherwise you may want to invest in one).

A friend of mine did the tub in tub incubator tek. 15 dollars for a submersible fishtank heater, 8 dollars for both rubbermaid tubs. You could invest in a fishtank pump to help spread the heat around (so it's not centralized on one spot), which again adds little cash to your total.

What he did for the terrium is he just unplugged the fishtank heater (since fruiting temps are from 70-78 degrees approx and room temp is about 73) and added moistened perlite on the bottom.

Overall I'd say you could do everything with less than 100 bucks.

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Best beginner grow lab for the $$$? [Re: outaker]
    #2218774 - 01/04/04 06:24 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

so far my kit cost me 1$ to put together :tongue:  its not expensive trust me.

Zip-"Mok, are we evil?"

Mok-"Do you know what evil spelled backwards is? Live. And we all want to do that dont we?"

Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
    #2218821 - 01/04/04 06:52 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

For me, my best investment was a real nice pressure cooker for about 300$Cnd. Because the biggest problem in this hobby is contamination, and a real nice pressure cooker reduces the chance of it, well, not considerably, but does help alot.
As the months pass by, you'll want to try different techs. Each one has it's own twist. Like grains need a good pressure cooker, at least one with a guage on it. And having a big 300$ one will make things go ALOT faster if you want to grow ALOT. Theyre great for pasturizing the casing material in large batches at a time.
You can get away with a small one for very little money, and Ive seen others live without one, but youll make your money back in no time, and youll be thanking yourself by not getting so many headaches with having shitty gear.

So yeah, get a nice pressure cooker, the rest is all very inexpensive.

Some tubs, maybe 40$ or so, all the casing stuff is real cheap, same with substrate supplies. Just buy in bulk. Cuz lets say, a small bag of birdseed is 8$, you can get one 5-20 times that size of the same stuff for 10$ more...simple obvious stuff like that....

Oh, the second most best thing Ive ever invested in was a ceramic heater with a thermostat. Especialy for up here in canada where it gets cold sometimes. It shuts off when the temps just right, and turns on if it gets cold. In a small space this thing can be a god-send because you dont have to use individual heaters for each terrarium, just the one main heater for all of them.

And dont get it all automated, its all just finniky, fooling around, being bored, thinking-you-wont-have-to-do-as-much-work BULLSHIT. UNLESS you have absolutely no time, as in, not even 20 minutes twice a day. Youd have to be a pretty busy person to fit this description I think.
Youll still have to clean shit out, patch, spray, monitor, move things around, check for contams, making sure all is good. Theres no system that coovers it better than the human touch, and just plain working for the results. You cant rely on batery operated things. But then again, Ive just neglected my setup and still had flushes......yes! And there are many "Neglect" teks out there:)

Just my opinion though, so many options, this is the way I do it and I get awsome results.

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

myco maniac
    #2218930 - 01/04/04 07:52 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I have to second the pressure cooker line.

I've got a friend who's been in this game for about 1/2 year now and that's the one thing he really regrets - not getting a good PC from the beginning. Right now he uses a $30 jobbie he got at Target and it's already starting to break (it's not sealing well)

As for the other parts here's what he has and about how much it cost:

25 gallon rubbermaid x 4 = $20
aquarium heater x 2 = $30
aquarium pump = $10
aquarium tubing = $10
air bubblers x 2 = $10
lava rock (enough to fill 4") = $30
plexiglass = $5
1/2 pint glasses x 12 = $10
Brown Rice Flour = $5
Vermiculite (HUGE BAG!) = $15
Box of latex gloves = $5

Total: $150

Then of course you've got abou $30 for 2 spore syringes.

With this you've got an incubator and what's known as a poor man's pod - a growing chamber that's semi-automated (i.e. you still should check it once a day or so, but you don't have to fan them)

By "I", I of course mean a good friend of mine who happens to live in the fine city of Amsterdam. "I" is just so less awkward.

User Gallery

#14096706 - 03/10/11 10:25 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think you need to buy a preasure cooker. I think boiling works just fine. I have yet to contaminated any brf cakes or my 50/50 casing.

Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Best beginner grow lab for the $$$? [Re: mrtoad25]
    #14096711 - 03/10/11 10:27 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Hi, this thread is 7 years old. :smile:

You'll want a pc sooner or later.

You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation