Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
Procedures for cleaning cultivation apparatus
    #2218230 - 01/04/04 10:45 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I think that one of the biggest problems with contams in the cultivation sector is the lack of cleanliness of the tools of the trade. In lieu of this, I will discuss what I believe is the best way to clean and disinfect cultivation tools. This applies to everything, since any tool, tray, terrarium, or other device could be a vector for contamination.

First, they should be scrubbed thoroughly with hot water and soap. Any soap works fine, as long as you get lots of suds to wash off any large particles of crud that may be there. Use a dish scrubbing brush and lots of elbow grease to really get the item clean. Rinse the item with hot water, ensuring that all traces of the soap are gone. I usually use the "smell" test, if you can smell the soap (or the scent added to the soap) then it isn't rinsed well enough. I now consider the item to be clean of any grease or other "dirt" that could have collected, and now it's time for the real disinfection.

When you mix one part bleach with nine parts hot water, you are using the proper ratio for bleach disinfection. The "Ultra" Bleach works fine, if you can find it (Lowes carries it) get the "disinfectant" bleach, it advertises that it's "hospital grade" or some such bullshit (hospitals and food service places don't use bleach anymore), but it is still quite good. Mix the solution and soak the item in it for 10-15 minutes. Using the scrub brush from earlier, scrub, scrub, scrub the item clean. Plastics are very pourous, and it just takes a few trichoderma spores to ruin a grow. Scrub more! Rinse with hot water again to get the bleach out. Everyone knows the smell of bleach, so that test is effective here again. No bleach smell is good.

Now, after you've done this, I always recommend using 91% isoprophyl alcohol to mist the items and let them dry.

It's best to have items that you use only for cultivation, so you can ensure that they stay clean and aren't used for other things. Contamination is a motherfucker (pardon the language) and it's a common way to ruin your hard work. Determine what tools you'll need (a fork, some knives, whatever) and keep them aside from your regular dishware as your cultivation tools.

The only variation that I use is for contaminated trays or jars. As soon as you get the nastyness out of them, dunk them in the bleach solution and let them soak for half an hour or so. After ya do that, run them through the entire process.

Also, dishwashers today have a "sanitize" feature on them that is a god send. After you do all the cleaning that I've mentioned, run them through the dishwasher on the highest setting with the "sanitize" featuer turned on. Open, let dry, mist with 91% IPA, let dry, and you are ready to go.

I hope this helps, maybe I should have put this in the contam forum, if a mod thinks it needs to get moved, feel free :-) Cheers!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGoldenShroom
shhhh ....don'ttell anyone!

Loc: wherever shrooms grow wil...
Re: Procedures for cleaning cultivation apparatus [Re: TheOneYouKnow]
    #2218267 - 01/04/04 11:25 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

That is very thorough work you do there, and I'm sure it would help those who have contam problems. Your process would be good for known contaminated obects, but for most things that is overkill! Most contams come from people's hands or other things like the air , not the tools or containers. A simple cleaning and rub down with alcohol has always done the trick for me... no contams

--------------------
-The killer in me is the killer in you... so I send this smile over to you

InvisibleGoldenShroom
shhhh ....don'ttell anyone!

Loc: wherever shrooms grow wil...
Re: Procedures for cleaning cultivation apparatus [Re: TheOneYouKnow]
    #2218281 - 01/04/04 11:32 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Actually this might be a good addition to the FAQ on how to properly disinfect contaminated jars and tools.

--------------------
-The killer in me is the killer in you... so I send this smile over to you

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
Re: Procedures for cleaning cultivation apparatus [Re: GoldenShroom]
    #2218291 - 01/04/04 11:39 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Yea, definatly, all that cleaning won't help if you constantly open the terrarium and get your nasty, spore covered hands in there. Keep it clean! spray some Oust or Lysol in the air before you open your terrarium

--------------------
Opinions are like assholes; everyone needs one or else they'd explode

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale