Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Anonymous

you are close minded
    #2216959 - 01/03/04 06:18 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

yes I am saying that.

think about it and get back to me.  we all try to be open minded and gain great understanding but it seems everyone has there opinions and are willing to kill over them(at least flame in threads, or put down someone).  I mean come on people. 

why argue over all this stuff. accept it for what its worth. wish someone good luck in there belief and move on.  theres no reason to conform the user into your belief, even more so if you don't believe in an afterlife. just be happy and discuss. it all good to further understanding and I am sure thats what most people will argue against me, that they are just furthering the understand with it but I think it much deep rooted than that, your hate for a religion, belief, or non-belief is not healthy. it interferes with judgement. just accept and put yourself in there shoes and then move on.

Entry:  enlightenment
Function:  noun
Definition:  awareness
Synonyms:  broad-mindedness, civilization, comprehension, cultivation, culture, edification, education, information, insight, instruction, knowledge, learning, literacy, open-mindedness, refinement, sophistication, teaching, understanding, wisdom
Antonyms:  unenlightenment
Concept:  comprehension/understanding

are we all going for the same goal? or not?

with love, :sun:

zeorhero

P.S. I don't want this to be a flame thread. I am trying to understnad where you are coming from perhaps.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: you are close minded [Re: ]
    #2216984 - 01/03/04 06:28 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

mmm, combat and competition are more entertaining and valuable than : "okay, good luck!".

there isnt much to gained through agreement, new ideas are formed through scrutiny of existing ideas.

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2216994 - 01/03/04 06:33 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Well, i am just here, i do my best at trying to understand. It seems that we must reduce things somehow, so we can understand them. But i think its important that we understand what we are reducing, and why we are doing it. I try to accept everyones ideas about things, for all i know for the most part they could be right.

Its not so important for me to hold on to "MY ideas" after all its just information anyway, i dont see why i should be angered because my information doesnt coincide with other peoples information.

We are all human and we are all capable of error. But it doesnt mean we cant help out, or have some common goal.

Some people try to help in this common goal, but fumble in their attempts due to concerns only with themselves. I know i am guilty of this, but its important that we see our mistakes, and know that we can make them, no matter how old, or wise we are. The universe and nature are very much larger than we are, although we may be connected, we still dont know everything on hand about what is out there, although we may have a good idea. How open minded you are in regard to your close mindedness may be important..?

--------------------
What?

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2217039 - 01/03/04 07:20 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

To say that we are all close minded is close minded. :wink:

But you are right, it is about the discussion and evolution of collections of thoughts and of ideas.

I don't know about beliefs, though.. I mean, I think it is enough to come to a conclusion based on what you know, as long as it is based in reality and not on any assumptions that can't be made, and keep them completely open to change when new information comes in....

We are just beings in a sensual experience, conceptualizing.. ideas transcend. :thumbup:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2217086 - 01/03/04 07:42 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I consider a person who is close minded unlearnable. Someone is unlearnable if they refuse to listen to other people and entertain their notions. It doesn't mean they have to accept ideas or let them go unchallenged.

I'm not close minded because I don't believe is psychics or zeta talk or whatever you are referring to.

Open minded doesn't mean gullible and stupid.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Anonymous

#2217087 - 01/03/04 07:42 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Great thread. :thumbup:

I am close minded to the point that after I learn 2+2=4 I don't entertain any other ideas.  At times people want to argue that 2+2=some other number but I don't have the time nor the patience to go round and round about it.  Instead, I usually remain silent.

There is a difference between arguing for argument's sake and discussing something in an attempt to learn something new or even point out the fallacies in someone's reasoning.

Most of the time it is the ego that gets in the way.

Anonymous

Re: you are close minded [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2217091 - 01/03/04 07:44 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Great point Ed!

Those that are unteachable are ignorant of many things.

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #2217108 - 01/03/04 07:50 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I doubt that zero was refering to anything so specific...but the fact that you read such a specific in between his lines is interesting! (to me, at least...)

Close mindedness is exactly as you have described it: the inability to Learn something new.

zerohero: simple acceptance of another's ideas does not help to progress human Knowledge. Knowledge thrives on discussion and debate, but note that these are quite different from "religion bashing" and the silly idea of "debunking".

--------------------
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

Anonymous

Re: you are close minded [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2217112 - 01/03/04 07:54 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

mmm, combat and competition are more entertaining and valuable than : "okay, good luck!".

there isnt much to gained through agreement, new ideas are formed through scrutiny of existing ideas.

I like agreement.  It a good way to progress I believe. but I do agree being combative is a good thing too.

Quote:

To say that we are all close minded is close minded.

ohh sorry, by all means.. I meant to include myself. :smirk:  I try my best to understand what people say but I know my beliefs interfere and stop me from accepting there beliefs, but I wont critize there beliefs.  I try to put myself in there shoes as best as I can.  In the end I usually have either mixed results or I accept what they say.

Quote:

How open minded you are in regard to your close mindedness may be important..?

I can't give a answer to that question. all I can say is that I try. :tongue:

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2217121 - 01/03/04 07:59 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

zerohero said:
I try my best to understand what people say but I know my beliefs interfere and stop me from accepting there beliefs, but I wont critize there beliefs.  I try to put myself in there shoes as best as I can.  In the end I usually have either mixed results or I accept what they say.

Ja, I know what you mean. You really will never understand someone if you don't put yourself into their perspective to see what they are seeing... this is definitely a good thing to do.  :laugh:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinepsychopsilocyber
[_381_] gnemo

Loc: glyphtown
    #2217124 - 01/03/04 08:00 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

You are minded. You can't describe the person without also describing the environment of the person. You went into detail on the person without going into detail on the persons environment.

Also the definitions of open minded, closed minded, and enlightened could be different for each person depending on the persons surroundings. 

I'd say your assumption is a pretty risky assumption, but I won't reject it because then I might be considered closed minded  :grin: After all the close minded is in the eye of the observer..

--------------------
Eco friendly extraction is the only way to go for Dmt, mescaline, and iboga

Edited by psychopsilocyber (01/03/04 08:04 PM)

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Re: you are close minded [Re: trendal]
    #2217131 - 01/03/04 08:03 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I doubt that zero was refering to anything so specific...but the fact that you read such a specific in between his lines is interesting! (to me, at least...)

Those were just BUZZ words that I used to make a point.  I wasn't trying to put words into anyone's mouth :eyemouth:

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #2217137 - 01/03/04 08:05 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

And now I see your intention, thank's for the clarification eh :smile:

--------------------
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

Anonymous

#2217165 - 01/03/04 08:15 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

There is a difference between arguing for argument's sake and discussing something in an attempt to learn something new or even point out the fallacies in someone's reasoning.

i agree, wholly.

also with:
Quote:

You really will never understand someone if you don't put yourself into their perspective to see what they are seeing...

i believe that since we are here, exsisting as seperate individuals, and not always being "one" with everyone else and everything else, we cant "just" understand why people do what they do, why they feel the way they feel, because we arent one with them, but to TRY and put yourself in their shoes is as close and as best as can be done.

this thread caught my eye, very nice discussion.

love and light

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
    #2217201 - 01/03/04 08:31 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

yes I am saying that.

Relative to myself, I agree.

Relative to everyone else, I disagree.

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

Anonymous

Re: you are close minded [Re: trendal]
    #2217458 - 01/03/04 11:07 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I am glad to have sparked interest in here. I have to admit this is my first real time in here. i look from time to time but dont' post much.  this is like OTD, philosophy style. the great posters and great rebuttles. I like this place. :thumbup:

Quote:

trendal said:
zerohero: simple acceptance of another's ideas does not help to progress human Knowledge. Knowledge thrives on discussion and debate, but note that these are quite different from "religion bashing" and the silly idea of "debunking".

thats what I am talking about. :tongue:

Quote:

I agree with this statement totally. :laugh:

Anonymous

#2217462 - 01/03/04 11:12 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

SpecialEd said:
I consider a person who is close minded unlearnable. Someone is unlearnable if they refuse to listen to other people and entertain their notions. It doesn't mean they have to accept ideas or let them go unchallenged.

I'm not close minded because I don't believe is psychics or zeta talk or whatever you are referring to.

Open minded doesn't mean gullible and stupid.

I like your explaination. thats what I mean but to tell a that person is defeating the purpose.

Anonymous

#2217500 - 01/04/04 12:01 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

i would say that the majority confuse open-mindedness with being open to experience, as long as it is not totally repulsive.

i see more drug users than anything claiming open-mindedness and it seems to be as simple as they are willing to try whatever to get high, and then preach about freewill rather than responsibility. in this case, being open-minded merely means accepting the views of others in order to justify something you once told yourself was wrong.

nobody is truly open. the closest thing to being open-minded, in my opinion, would be refinancing the mortgage on your house everytime some half-witted, highschool dropout called you from some big named corporation. or in other words, being a total sucker.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: you are close minded [Re: Positronius]
    #2217703 - 01/04/04 03:06 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I don't think being combative during a discussion is a good thing. Being combative means that people will then hold more tightly to their beliefs, even if their beliefs are possibly erroneous.

I believe more in gentle persuasion than telling someone what a fucking idiot they are for believing the way they believe.

Aesop's fables...don't remember the title...

A man is walking down a road, wearing a cloak. The wind and the sun make a bet as to who can cause the man to take the overcoat off.

The wind goes first, and blows and blows and blows, and the man pulls the cloak more tightly to his body. After a period of time, the wind, exhausted, gives up.

Then the sun starts shining gently upon the man, with a gentle, persistent warmth. Eventually, the man removes the cloak.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Edited by Frog (01/04/04 04:04 AM)

Offlineiamhimheisme
jesus christ

Loc: where i dont want to be
    #2217791 - 01/04/04 03:58 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

havent read the rest of this thread but i thought id throw my 2? in...

saying anything definitive is closed minded. unfortunately that statement in itself could be seen as closed minded. along the lines of what zero said in the original post, let people have their opinions. be aware of your own opinions, be aware of others' opinions and let others know your opinion. if you make enough sense others will listen, otherwise, think about whether you're making sense or not.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology