Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Microscope, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
WBS Question
    #2216794 - 01/03/04 04:08 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

My foaf has read many posts on this forum and has read quite a bit out of the FAQ section. After reading he decided to go with the this tek: http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/24332 ...however, he's now thinking he should have used 6T's WBS tek. The reason being is that is has now been 5 days since he innoculated with a syringe of GT obtained from spore works (the syringe was almost completely crystal clear, the spores could only be seen under a microscope), and there isn't any signs of germination. Is soaking absolutely necesary in the WBS process or not? He seems to think that almost all of the water left in the jars was soaked up into the grain during PC'ing, so what's the point in soaking them for 12+ hours? Here are the steps he performed:

1) Soaked WBS for about 2 mins, stirred for about another 2 mins, then rinsed 4-5 times.

2) Drilled 4 holes in each lid of 6 pint jars. 2 holes were extremely small, just enough for the needle to poke thru. the other two holes were 3/8" in diameter for air exchange.

3) filled jars with rinsed birdseed (a little over 1/2 full) and added tap water until the water level was a little less than 2/3 the height of the wbs.

4) cut TyVek squares (1 layer thick) for each jar and put the jars into the PC.

5) pc for 1.5 hours at 15 psi, and let pressure inside PC equalize.

6) once pressure had equalized the jars were shaken thourughly to break apart any clumps. (this was all done about 12:00 am)

7) the next morning (~6:30 am) the jars were innoculated with about 2 cc's spore solution.

Should my foaf just be patient or is he screwed? Any insight would greatly be appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Attorney at Lol
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: WBS Question [Re: chigazer]
    #2216817 - 01/03/04 04:27 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

5 days isnt enough to see growth unless everything is perfect...and even then....wait at least another few days, then look for small signs of growth...germination takes a while...once it has occurred, with proper shaking...it can take as little as 4 days for a quart jar to be completely colonized...I assume pints would be faster... There is no reason to panic yet.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Ellis Dee said, "And those kids in CT deserved to die and I'm glad they're dead. I am glad that the survivors will have to "live with it" too. hahaha"

akira_akuma said, "fuck the freedom to speech, it's all crap"

Loc: everywhere
Re: WBS Question [Re: chigazer]
    #2216836 - 01/03/04 04:43 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i say wait a few more days, then worry. but i find the best way to prepare WBS is to soak for 10-12 hours, strain, rinse, strain some more and load into jars. Pc for 80 min. the soaking allows the bacterial endospores to germinate, so they get killed during pc'ing. Also it soaks up just the right amount of water, and makes for a shakable sub. I also shake jars immediatley after pc has returned to 1 psi, so the bottom doesnt clump. i hope this has been helpful . peace

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Microscope, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation