Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
EXCLUSIVE: Ps. cyanescens found in Downtown Vevey, Suisse
    #2216729 - 01/03/04 03:20 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Just received this important data form my colleague Dr. Tjakko Stijve from Vevey, Switzerland regarding psilocybe cyanesens.

Hi John,

Happy New Year and thanks for your card!
I hope you survived the celebrations and the security measures...

I am impressed that you still manage to publish on new Psilocybe spp, but the tropics have hardly been investigated for those. You continue doing pioneer work. By the way, Thailand is awakening to mushrooms.
They finally published a guide for the local mycoflora, and are doing impressive cultivation work.

I am still studying Agaricus blazei that has recently been re-baptized A. brasiliensis. It is a joint project with Embrapa Florestas in Southern Brazil.

I'll send you separately some of my publications on old 'shroom postcards, and on slime molds.

A few days ago, I observed an abundant crop of blackened carpophores among woodchips. I first thought that it were the usual dull brownish Winter mushrooms, like Tubaria furfuracea, but the color of that species is not affected by frost. (It is below zero here..)

Closer inspection revealed that it were frozen Psilocybe cyanescens!

The 'shrooms had the typical collybioid stature, and bluish green stipes. The coloration became more outspoken on thawing. TLC revealed presence of copious amounts of both psilocine and psilocybin.

This may well be the first find of this species for Switzerland (possibly introduced with the wood chips?). The site is in the very centre of the town, quite near its biggest department store!

The Swiss legislation being what it is now, I cannot even publish this spectacular find in the local newspaper. It would be considered propaganda for drug abuse!

Anyhow, I'll write a paper for the Swiss Mycological bulletin. Of course, I did photograph the frozen mushrooms, but the blackish carpophores, in spite of the bluish green stipes, are hardly typical.

I'll have to add some better picture. May I use one of the photos you sent me in the late 80ies? Or do you have a close-up which shows it growing on wood chips or mulch? It goes without saying that you'll be identified as the photographer.

Best regards,

To celebrate the new year, here's a darling lying on roses...
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Sorry but I cannot post the nude picture here which Dr. Stijve sent to me.
mj

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecomario2
amateur

Loc: between places
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Ps. cyanescens found in Downtown Vevey, Suisse [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2216770 - 01/03/04 03:52 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

just curious, you say "blackened", do you mean like these? are they still usable? mine look like the aborted mostly, and the caps have become black.  :smile:

--------------------
comario

"crusaders against emotional poverty"

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Ps. cyanescens found in Downtown Vevey, Suisse [Re: comario2]
    #2216912 - 01/03/04 05:46 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

No Comario,

Blackened like these.

mjshroomer

Offlinellamaboy
the weasel thatsnagged the bee

Loc: Portland PNW
    #2216996 - 01/03/04 06:34 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

so, these are the first ps. cyanscens found in switzerland?! that would be quite an amzing accomplishment.

Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
    #2218155 - 01/04/04 11:16 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

MJ, are the temperature/weather/proximity to water/environment pretty similar to the PNW in Switzerland?

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Ps. cyanescens found in Downtown Vevey, Suisse [Re: megaman3]
    #2218311 - 01/04/04 01:49 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I would think high in the mountains they have a different weather system. Howeve, liberty caps grow in Italia at 4000m. and in Perus 14-6000m

mj

Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
    #2221173 - 01/05/04 07:25 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Hehe MJ that reply confused me more than anything. Basically I'd like to know if the weather/proximity to water/environment/time of year for freezing, etc, are similar in the PNW (where cyans grow) and in this location in Switzerland where the cyans were found.

It confuses me as to why cyans and many others don't grow on the East coast of North America but they do in the West. What would prevent them from growing in the East if spores were carried over and put in roughly the same substrate as in the West, like in woodchips outside? What would prevent them from expanding from there until they are as common in the East as they are in the West? Similarly, why are libcaps only found in pastures in North America, but they are found in public places like parks in Europe? Is it weather conditions, or simply a different process of fertilization of parks?

Edited by megaman3 (01/05/04 07:28 PM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Ps. cyanescens found in Downtown Vevey, Suisse [Re: megaman3]
    #2222125 - 01/06/04 03:03 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Liberty caps are found in public places int he PNW. Cardboard showed a beautiful lawn in or near Bellingham. I puicked them for three years in the arboretum here in Seattle and they have been on lawns at Southcenter and in the Freeway Park the first two years in 1976 and 1977 that the park opened up. They grow on golf courses along the oregon Coast. They also grow in Pune, India and in Lima Peru.
AS for P. cyanescens,, no one knows why they do not grow in the northeast USA.

Certain species also are indigenous to cetrtain regions, like P. stuntzii grows from Bc to Eugene, Oregon, maybe even farther south. You should read my paper with Guzman and Gartz on the Worldwide Distribution of the known species.
Also Liberty cap[s grow from New York into New Brunswick and Novea Scotia and Prince Edward Island and also in Newfoundland.

Interstingly, there are none in the San Juan Islands.

AS for the P. cyans. Dr' Stijve who wrote the letter to me does my chemical analsys and has work for three decades doing mushroom research at Nestles in Vevey, Suisse. HE also poub;lishes numerous papers on trace elements in shrooms. Especially after the Chernobyl nuclear accident.

P. Cyans are found in Russia and in China and is a northern species but is abscent on the east coast.

mj

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification