Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenambi
journeyman
 User Gallery
Little Black Spots (DAMN YOU!)
    #2216671 - 01/03/04 02:36 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I have a straw log that WAS developing nicely, it's fully colonized and I'm just waiting to see some pins, the past few days I have noticed little black spots developing, (would this be pin mould or the start of cobweb mould) I hit it with 3% peroxide, and it seemed to hold it back for a few days but now I see it on other area's of the log now? Can I do anything about this?

Whats would be the best way to induce pinning I don't think I can hold this think off much longer.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Little Black Spots (DAMN YOU!) [Re: nambi]
    #2216681 - 01/03/04 02:48 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

It doesn't sound good. Without pics it's hard to be sure, but tiny black spots are often mold . . .just the fruiting part of the mold, it could very likely have light enough hyphae that it could be indistinguishablely [nice word] growing amongst the mycelium. It may be worth trying to fruit as is, depending on the degree of infection. Sometimes exposing a block to fruiting environment will slow down contams. Not often, and it depends a lot on what you have to fruit with. Again, this is without seeing any pics, and assuming it to be very small. Black molds include some that are infectious to people, and all molds have the potential of causing allergic reactions. The safest route, for you and for any future culture work, is to be very quick to throw away such things. Remember also to be careful in disposing of it; it's very easy to create a volcano of mold spores just by moving it around.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum