Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepsychopsilocyber
[_381_] gnemo

Loc: glyphtown
When making a glove box is airflow important? edit: pics
    #2215774 - 01/02/04 10:46 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

The inside could be sterilized but I'm not sure if a sealed heated environment would be suitable for growing mycelium. yes? no?

--------------------
Eco friendly extraction is the only way to go for Dmt, mescaline, and iboga

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: When making a glove box is airflow important? [Re: psychopsilocyber]
    #2216207 - 01/03/04 04:40 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Why growing myc in a glovebox ?
Why sealed and heated ?

--------------------
-> Errors Are A Great Source Of Knowledge <-
-> It Is Not Important WHO Is Right But WHAT Is Right <-

Offlinepsychopsilocyber
[_381_] gnemo

Re: When making a glove box is airflow important? [Re: ragadinks]
    #2216223 - 01/03/04 04:49 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Heated to temps of 85 degrees, sealed to keap out contams. Where's the best place to do this? Ok now that I think it seems a sealed glovebox would be good to get the spores on the plates after the pouring/cooling was also done in there, but then when innoculated it should probably be moved to an incubator, no? Well can the incubator be sealed and heated and still be ok? (mobius thought loop, i'm sorry same question)

Someone once mentioned something to me about positive airflow with a hepa, I was hoping to cut corners.

--------------------

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#2216280 - 01/03/04 06:29 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Oh, I see. An incubator and a glovebox are two different things.
There are gloveboxes with an HEPA filter which builds up a positive pressure inside the box, so that no contamination can get in. But there are also some without a HEPA filter. A glovebox is used to innocultate petri dishes, jars etc. in a sterile environment. They are usually cheaper then laminar flow hoods which are used for the same purpose.
Here are some descriptions of different gloveboxes.

An incubator is a box/room that is used in order to grow mycelium and therefore kept at a certain temperature and humidity.
Here is a link to a simple incubator.

So, when you have inoculated your jars or whatever you seal the jars, so that no contamination can get in and put them into an incubator which does not have to be completely sterile.

Does this answer your questions ?

Offlinepsychopsilocyber
[_381_] gnemo

#2216684 - 01/03/04 02:52 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

After I innoculate the pitri dishes I was thinking it would be easier to leave them in there so I don't have to move them. I wanted to know if the glove box can double as an incubator. I would rather not make a separate incubator that means more $ and effort to move the pitri's/jars to the incubator, I want to innoculate them and just take my hands out of the gloves and leave it until I need to transfer mycelium to a new plate. I just want to know if any pro's see something wrong here that I don't. Do I really need airflow is the main question, It's way easier to seal it than it is to buy/attach a hepa. Just so I know it'll work this way that's all I need to know.

--------------------

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#2216748 - 01/03/04 03:38 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I have never heard of a glovebox/incubator combination. But I think it could work. But you need at least a little bit of fresh air for you jars so that the myc grows. And I do not know if there is enough in the little glovebox when you seal it. But on the othe hand - you can open the glovebox after innoculation, anyway.
So you could try to build a heatable glovebox without HEPA filter and after innoculation I would open the lid sometimes, to let fresh air in.
Would be worth to try out.

Offlinepsychopsilocyber
[_381_] gnemo

#2216796 - 01/03/04 04:11 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

The bottom length is about 2 ft. With a bit of thick glue I'll seal the front plexi glass in place. The top plexi glass is still uncut and in it's packaging.

The width is about 1 ft. Notice the packaged plexi glass is longer than it needs to be, I need to cut it. Then I'll attach a few hinges and put weather stripping on the wood where the plexi glass would meet, this way I can lift the top when needed, a latch or two will also be conjured up.

I think the way I attached the gloves allows for very very slight air to get through but it shouldnt be a problem if there's no airflow. I used duct tape/black plastek to attach the gloves to the holes in the glass.

I was also thinking about covering the wooden walls with something smoother, but cant think of anything cheap.

When the time comes I'll put some clorox wipes and some lysol in there, also a way to get a cord in for the aquarium heater, which will probably be in a sobe bottle, and a thermometer. Then I could put the clean pitri's in there along with the solution to be poured. Then I close it up, sray and wipe, let sit for a few minutes and then pour. Once those cool Innoculate, then just take my hands out of the gloves and keep my eye on the thermometer.

--------------------

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #2218303 - 01/04/04 01:45 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

>>I think the way I attached the gloves allows for very very slight air to get through but it shouldnt be a problem if there's no airflow.<<

IMHO, the most important aspect of a glovebox is a stillair environment.

OfflineTeon
Chemist/Self-AppointedFAQ Facist
Male

Loc: Here
    #2218357 - 01/04/04 02:18 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

IMHO, the most important aspect of a glovebox is a stillair environment.

Honestly, glove boxes are a thing of the past. For $100 and with much less effort you can produce a laminar flow hood suitable for culture work.

I use a HEPA filter and a large sterlite tub on it's side (approx. 1.5'x2'x4') wth the open top facing towards me. The filers output is on the top, so I set it on it's side at one end of the tub. The filtered air is blown across the rest of the tub before stricking the opposite sidewall and blowing out the opening. All work is carried out in this filtered airflow and at this point in time I operate with a contamination factor of less than 5%. No gloves, no restrictions on movement. Took a trip to the depot and 5 mins to build. When I'm not doing culture work the filter goes back on the floor of the lab to keep the air nice and clean for the trays.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, have ever been, or will at any future time will be participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any legal statue; be it local, state, or federal law. All posts are works of fiction, and are intended for entertainment purposes only.

Don't just assume anything I or anyone else says is true. Test it for yourself. See if it's true.
Generate more useful information. The world is running desperately low on it.

Offlinepsychopsilocyber
[_381_] gnemo

Re: When making a glove box is airflow important? edit: pics [Re: psychopsilocyber]
    #2218743 - 01/04/04 05:51 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I'm going to go with still air environment. I'm going to attemt to grow mycelium in it too, hope it works out.

--------------------

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: When making a glove box is airflow important? [Re: Teon]
    #2218815 - 01/04/04 06:49 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I have a flowhood too. I built it for >$100. It's the real deal. The only changes I would like to make is to alter it to a horizontal laminar flowhood, because now the airflow is vertical. Nothing beats it when doing inoculations and sterile culture work.

But, IMHO, when trying to isolate good myc away from contam, nothing beats a glovebox because it is a still air environment.

Picture a culture in the center of a dish with contam colonies along the entire outside edge. In any type of flowhood (vertical or horizontal) it would be impossible to transfer the myc away from the contam. Your knife will intersect the flow of air moving away from the colonies of contam, likely putting spores on your instrument.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology