Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate, Substrate Mix   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepicard
Stranger
Sterilizing casings
    #2215559 - 01/02/04 06:07 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Hello all. My friend is about to do his first casing and he just wanted to ask a few questions.

How exactly does one go about sterilizing the verm for the bottom and the casing layer? In all of the different teks I couldn't find a definitive answer for this, can one simply bake in a oven at XXX degrees for XXX minutes?

If my friend does a casing using simply vermiculite, no peat moss, coco coir, oyster shells or lime, is it still worth it? Are these other things necessary or just good ideas to use?

Any help or other tips are greatly appreciated

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the Local Su...
Re: Sterilizing casings [Re: picard]
    #2215581 - 01/02/04 06:19 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Plain verm is fine and since it doesnt have any nutrients less care can be taken with "sterilizing." Depending on the amount 10 minutes in teh microwave should do. You could do it in the oven as well but it takes time to preheat and what not. And of course, make sure you have ample water otherwise it will burn.

There really is no "simple" answer such as x degrees for x minutes because no one has really found a threshold for it. If you really wanted to Sterilize you would need an autoclave but don't waste your time.

Anonymous

Re: Sterilizing casings [Re: ExtravagantDream]
    #2215606 - 01/02/04 06:38 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I have allways put it in the pressure cooker for 30 minutes at 15 psi but some people say its too much but its so easy I dont care I know its sterile and thats what matters

OfflineRequiem
More Better

Loc: Hangin' out on the Sealab
    #2215635 - 01/02/04 06:58 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

My ferret microwave the verm. for 2 1/2 minutes mix it up some more, than microwave for another 2 1/2 minutes. Works great for her.

--------------------

"I want your Soul.
I will eat your soul."
-Aphex Twin

:dancing: :blah: :dancing: :blah: :dancing: :blah: :dancing: :blah: :dancing: :blah: :dancing:

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
    #2215646 - 01/02/04 07:10 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

its pretty damn clean right out of the bag, but if yo are scard I say throw it in a CLEAN microwave for 5 minutes

--------------------

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Trusted Cultivator
    #2216866 - 01/03/04 03:05 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

sterilizing the verm for the bottom and the casing layer?

The bottom layer is not necessary.

The casing layer can be pasteurized by heating gently after moistening in a covered pot or microwave. You can sterilize it in a PC, but that's overkill.

The goal is to kill any worms, flies, eggs, whatever that might have hitched a ride on your peat/coir. That will happen at the low temperatures of pasteurization.

Fully colonized substrate is fairly well able to deal with any bacteria that might remain after pasteurization.

Your mileage may vary.

-Diploid

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate, Substrate Mix   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate