Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
learning on different conscious levels
    #2215614 - 01/02/04 08:43 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

so i had this dream that i was in a library reading a book (Brave New World).  not so surprsingly as I recall having already read this book (not in the dream world of course :smile:)  and this now begs me to ask this question?? 

can you learn on any other level besides the conscious one??  like is there anything tangeable enough from the dream state that you can bring back with you that is valuable??

I mean I always thought of learning as knowledge gained through experience, and so isn't dreaming an experience?  is it plausable for me to experience something in a dream to take with me in this world? 

the other weird thing too is that I remember definate quotes from my dream, and they are in the book as well.  :wtf:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: learning on different conscious levels [Re: kaiowas]
    #2215649 - 01/02/04 09:13 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Well I believe that our brains are recording everything they can at all times.

This I think would fall into the category of learning on different conscious levels. If I'm driving down the road, I'm consciously thinking about the lines in the road, the psychotic drivers nearby, my feet on the pedals (yes I drive with both feet - oooooo what a badass..), my hands on the wheel, and maybe the song coming from my speakers. Unconsciously, though, I think my mind is recording everything, man - the trees up on the hill I'm driving past, the license plates, the differences in every car around, the differences in landscape all around, the movements of my passengers, all the oncoming cars on the other side of the road, and so on..... I think all of this stuff is "recorded" by the mind as long as the senses are sensing.

Years and years of this data are stored in our brains and we never consciously even access it.... different styles of asphault, different shades of gree, different textures of skin, just all of this random stuff. Not to mention billions of sounds we've never paid attention to but our minds did

I think dreaming allows a lot of this stuff to come out and dance - I believe the unconscious learns things without us even consciously realizing it. Unfortunately I think that what's learned is only applied in the same kinds of "levels" or "layers" it is learned in, so I'm not sure how useful this is for waking life.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (01/02/04 09:16 PM)

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
Re: learning on different conscious levels [Re: Strumpling]
    #2215881 - 01/03/04 12:08 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

you CAN learn in dreams, i once read a really good study on it in fact. In my own dreams i sometimes find myself in my judo gym and actually spar with people from my class, and i swear i see all the techniques and everything EXTREMELY accuratly/clearly. MArtial artists in particular have reported practicing there skills in dreams.
THis crosses over into something discussed in various selfhelp style books which is creative visualisation of imagination. The idea is that when a situation is experienced in enough detail the nervous system cannot tell the differance and things like muscle memory can still be developed.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology