Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Perlite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineluckytriple6
spun, confused, and needing hugs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: lost in head... come find...
setting up my first tub in tub
    #2215520 - 01/02/04 07:45 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I have two 45 gallon Rubbermaid tubs, a 200 watt heater on the way and an air pump. I plan to use perlite to keep the air humid. I'm gonna start cooking 40 pint wbs jars tonight. I'm still waiting for my gulf coast spores to arive. I have a few questions, is it necessary to have a water pump to circulate the water in the bottom tub? I'm also looking for ideas on how to keep more casings in the tub than just on the bottom. The tubs are like two feet tall, if i put a rack in to hold the cased trays would it affect the growth any? my other concern is getting light to the casing if I have them in a rack. I was thinking of putting a few Christmas lights above each casing, would this be enough light or too much? Also is the air temp in the tank the same as the temp in the jars or do I have to adjust to keep it the right temp in the jars, I heard there is a three degree diff between the air temp and the temp in the jars but I dunno if its true or even if its three degrees high or low.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineoutaker
cack
Re: setting up my first tub in tub [Re: luckytriple6]
    #2215539 - 01/02/04 07:54 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

The water pump, imo, isn't necessary. I didn't have a water pump in mine and it worked out fine, actually had fully colonized cakes in just two weeks.

InvisibleRowZeZe
Time Watcher

Loc: Space
Re: setting up my first tub in tub [Re: outaker]
    #2215551 - 01/02/04 08:02 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

The idea of the pump is to circulate the water so the water thats around the heater is moved and provieds a more acurate tempratere all around the tub.
I havent tried it yet, but I think im going to do it just because it seems to make sence, atleast to me and this guy.

--------------------
Whats done is done and I cannot complain anymore

InvisibleDieCommie
El Guapo
    #2215954 - 01/03/04 01:08 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I think you should get a water pump not an air pump. An air pump will agitate the water a little, but a water pump will circulate it.

Offlineluckytriple6
spun, confused, and needing hugs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: lost in head... come find...
Re: setting up my first tub in tub [Re: DieCommie]
    #2216905 - 01/03/04 05:39 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

the air pump is for helping to circulate the air in the tank,not the water, still gotta get a filter for it though

--------------------
Let me out of this place
I'm outta place
I'm in outer space
I've just vanished without a trace
I'm going to a pretty place now where the flowers grow
I'll be back in an hour or so

[quote]Abuse said:
the dea can go fuck themselves! with the internet, the impossible is possible![/quote]

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
    #2217028 - 01/03/04 07:12 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Worrying about having a waterpump in there is just more tinkering and more of a headache than you really need. :shake:
Christ, some people just use a cardboard box with xmas lights for fruiting chambers, and even weirder things as incubators that actually work real well! :grin:
Just because some people are obsessed or bored and fiddle with new ways of doing shit doesnt mean you have to, thats why you have this site, so you DONT have to fiddle around. Just keep it simple!

So, no pump, the heater is fine, even a 50w heater woulda done the job. Yes the rack will work to incubate the casings. Keep a thermometere in the incubator and adjust it accordingly. Blankets will help keep the upper portions relatively warm while preventing condensation.

I hope your just talking about the incubator, not the fruiting chamber. Theyre 2 diff things and you cant combine them cuz fruiting needs light, and incubating doesnt.

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
    #2217160 - 01/03/04 08:14 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

a submersible pump is necessary,as it prevents hotspots forming around the heater,using a pump is the only way to ensure that all the water in the lower tub stays at the same temp,circulated water is also less prone to harbour contams.
it will also pay to put a cap full of bleach in the water.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

InvisibleDieCommie
El Guapo
Re: setting up my first tub in tub [Re: Hanky]
    #2217626 - 01/04/04 02:18 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Before i got a water pump, it was like 90 on the bottom (near the heater), and 75 on the top of my tub in tub.

I agree that all the fiddleing around isnt necessary, as my first set of jars incubated in my dresser. Although fiddleing can be fun! And it can help. My jars in the tub in tub are incubating way faster! So if you have the time/money/and want to fiddle go for it!

Also your going to use a fish tank air pump to circulate air in the tub? Interesting. Maybe a small fan would work better? I was thinking about getting a fan, because there is still a small temp variance in the bottom and top of my tub. Although small, im a perfectionist who likes to fiddle, so tell us how the tubs with air pumps work!

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2217687 - 01/04/04 02:56 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

The pump is not needed but my results have been way better with it. Don?t forget to tie the tubs together and one tub won?t float. I also put 1 empty half pint in each corner of the bottom tub to protect the heater from any kind of fuckup that may crush it.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Perlite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation