Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
what happend to these people?
    #2215301 - 01/02/04 03:34 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

the hippy generation, the dead heads and pot heads and flower children, whatever you think about them, represented the largest rebellion if you will, of young idealistic people against the current society, the man, the soctial norms, old taboos, outdated ideas and evil government in american memory. Many of me and my pot smoking buddies have parents who talk about being hippies, hanging out at woodstock, etc etc but today there working shit jobs, basic burn out beurocrats and civil servants, probably exactly how they percieved there own parents back in there own childhood.

Is it inevitable? does idealism and individuality die off with age? My psychology teacher talked about how teenagers actually have an area of the brain that is 'unusually enlarged' and decreases in size with maturation. This are is connected with risk taking behaviour.

This is supposed to be why teeneagers are so susceptible to experimenting with drugs, sex, reckless driving etc. I just think of all the things me and my buddies believe in and our ideals and how we say 'were never gonna give up this life, were never gonna sell out, buy in to the shit etc' but you know ill bet our parents said the same thing. What do you think?

sorry i dont usually post stoned and im having trouble getting this shit clear.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Re: what happend to these people? [Re: PHARMAKOS]
    #2215310 - 01/02/04 03:39 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

They sold out if you will...reckless youthful abandon can only take you so far...paradigm shifts are inevitable and in maturity people become responsible and see the benefit of adhering to societal norms.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2215318 - 01/02/04 03:42 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

they got funneled into the corporate/political machine like everybody else.... The rest of them are working in the creative realm or suffering on the street or both

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Re: what happend to these people? [Re: Strumpling]
    #2215323 - 01/02/04 03:46 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

they got funneled into the corporate/political machine like everybody else.... The rest of them are working in the creative realm or suffering on the street or both

So what does that say about the ideals of the countermovement.

Your 3 possible outcomes are

1. being decieved into a life you do not want
2. suffering on the street
3. making a meager living in the creative realm (yes some people make money in art, but HOW MANY?)

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: what happend to these people? [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2215343 - 01/02/04 03:57 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

to me that says it wasn't time for the countermovement to break through..

Probably still isn't, with all these lazy unmotivated people like me willing to talk shit on the internet but not willing to organize some type of "outcry"

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #2215351 - 01/02/04 04:01 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Don't worry though - our government is getting better and better at pissing people off

--------------------

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

#2215353 - 01/02/04 04:01 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I don't consider myself unmotivated, but I would be hesitant to join a counterculture movement that required a significant investment on my part because I would fear failure :sad:

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #2215400 - 01/02/04 04:25 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

In this type of thing, Failure would not be an option - this is why I feel it is not time.... If our government continues to act as they are, I'm sure it won't be long before there are enough people enraged that they are willing to sacrifice to get changes made. As usual, I'm not really talking violence, but it seems if enough people dropped everything and said "ok we're not playing anymore," they would have to listen

--------------------

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
    #2215466 - 01/02/04 05:12 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Maybe they disapeared into another existance, or the drugs that led them one way made them not strong minded but weak minded. Relying on a chemical for satisfaction will inturn make you need more and more of that chemical to reach the same effect. Psychologically addicting.

I once went through the idealogy of a hippy. It would be fun to live one existance that way. It would also be fun to live a whole lifetime in a computer game.

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: what happend to these people? [Re: Droz]
    #2215598 - 01/02/04 06:32 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

*stamps foot* Will all of you stop talking about me as if I am not here!

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: what happend to these people? [Re: Swami]
    #2215615 - 01/02/04 06:45 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

well you're NOT here...... Where'd your movement go punkash?

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2215652 - 01/02/04 07:14 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

i think many of us are waiting when the "movement" to begin.  but as strumpling said,  too many lazy people.

btw I'm a freakin hippie (and a peaceful one at that) so stop saying I don't exist damnit :grin:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Re: what happend to these people? [Re: Swami]
    #2215665 - 01/02/04 07:25 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

sorry dude, but you are to be held with suspicion,

never trust ANYONE over 30...

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2215836 - 01/02/04 09:27 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I eat Gen X & Y kids for breakfast!

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineShizpow
Street Samurai

Loc: Oregon
    #2215854 - 01/02/04 09:48 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Hippies and revolution are diametrically opposed. It was true when Chairman Mao said it and it's true now: "Political power comes out of the barrel of a gun." It sucks...but it's true. So if you want the power, you better be willing to point a gun or two. But then you're not advocating unconditional peace and acceptance anymore, are you? Basically, it was impossible for the hippies to have won from the start, because to depose the man, you have to become the man.

--------------------
If you cut a face lengthwise, urinate on it, and trample on it with straw sandles, it is said that the skin will come off. This was heard by the priest Gyojaku when he was in Kyoto. It is information to be treasured.

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
Re: what happend to these people? [Re: Shizpow]
    #2215867 - 01/02/04 09:59 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

i must disagree. I think one thing that is entirely clear is that the war for our mental freedom CAN NOT be won with a gun. For gods sakes any attempt to oppose amerikana with military force would be like.... um...like... well like an utterly futile farce. THey just have too many guns. The only effective rebeliion is going to have to be non violent, attacking societys problems at its root : IE: the government only has as much power as the people give them. Im not saying the hippies and there love were the way to go, but i think they were more than half way there.

OfflineShizpow
Street Samurai

Loc: Oregon
    #2215888 - 01/02/04 10:15 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I completely agree that armed rebellion is (amost) entirely futile. In the 18th and 19th centuries, it was a much more viable option, and put to great use by the Americans as well as the French, among others. But with the staggering discrepency of power between the government and the populace these days, this option is almost impossible. Which brings us as you've said to nonviolence. I will have to disagree with you that the government has only as much power as we give them. I think it's become abundantly clear in the last fifty years that the government has as much power as it chooses to take, and there's fuck all we can do about it. This leads me to feel that nonviolence is a waste of time. It seems that today, our choices are to let out government walk all over us with only our impotent grumblings to oppose them in gesture, or to fight back and make our government grind us under its heel, which it is more than capable of and willing to do. Not too appealing either way, in my opinion.

--------------------
If you cut a face lengthwise, urinate on it, and trample on it with straw sandles, it is said that the skin will come off. This was heard by the priest Gyojaku when he was in Kyoto. It is information to be treasured.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: what happend to these people? [Re: Shizpow]
    #2215960 - 01/02/04 11:16 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Government would work a lot better if it didn't attract all the wrong people. Mainly it attracts the greedy, or those who want power. Either way, greed or power, it takes away from the lives of the citizens it's supposed to help. If we could only get more sensible people to control the nation, a government of scientists and philosophers and artists maybe, then it would work. But this is just wishful thinking, I doubt it will happen, or if it does not for many years. Hell, we're having to face a huge battle just to legalize a mind-expanding and harmless herb like cannabis that's still not legal, and may not be for years, imagine how much it would take to change the entire government.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Offlineergot
MydriasicVisionary
Re: what happend to these people? [Re: Ravus]
    #2215972 - 01/02/04 11:33 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Maybe... since cannabis legalization seems so futile ...then, a reworking of the complete government should be the 1st step?

--------------------
"Remain a learner, never become a knower." - Osho

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
    #2216054 - 01/03/04 12:22 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

My dad was a "hippy". He now is in a good corporate job with kids doing nicely. They stopped burning down when they had kids.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds