Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDocPsilocybin
enthusiast

Incubating Jars: Orientation?
    #2214653 - 01/02/04 08:24 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Anybody ever try laying their jars on their sides or lids or anything and notice a difference in colo times?

I had a jar that took 9 days from a multispore innoculation until FULL colonization. I think it was done before then actually, but I hadn't checked on it. That jar was laid on it's side... Perhaps mycellium likes growing horizontally better? Perhaps just fluke?

One theory I had was that the spore water had 'settled' onto the bottom, on side in this case, which has a larger surface area than the normal bottom and gave the spores a larger area or germination? The reason I say this is because it has been my experience that generally most of your growth in the beginning stages are towards the bottom, leading me to believe a 'settling' of the spores comes into play. If the spores settle onto the side of a jar that has been laid on its side, then possibly faster colo times?

I could be most likely just wasting my time here, but has anyone else noticed this?

--------------------
You can't hold a man down without staying down with him.
-- Booker T. Washington

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Incubating Jars: Orientation? [Re: DocPsilocybin]
    #2214685 - 01/02/04 09:19 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

yep my jars are on the side and colonized about the same time as the ones standing

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
    #2214689 - 01/02/04 09:24 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

i flip mine alot,never use tape and leave them on there sides some of the time.i also break the cakes away from the jar at about 50% colonisation,i belive this all helps with air exchange and together with correct temps gives the fastest possible colonisation times.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #2320573 - 02/10/04 06:28 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I have noticed that incubators often have a gradient of temperature increasing from the source of the heat (often the bottom) toward the top. This causes a direct correlation in the moisture content of a jar. Often the jars will be dry on the bottom and wet on the top.

If one were to have a 3 inch by 6 inch jar in an incubator that has a 1 degree gradation per inch from the heat source, the jar laid on end would have a 6 degree difference between the bottom and top while the jar laid on its side would have a 3 degree difference. The jar laid on its side would then have less of a moisture difference in the substrate than the jar on end.

This overall gradation of temperature can be decreased by using a well insulated incubator. I have had goo success with laying towels on top of the jars to act as an insulating layer.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation