Home | Community | Message Board

The HUP - Testing Kits
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Incubating Jars: Orientation?
    #2214653 - 01/02/04 08:24 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Anybody ever try laying their jars on their sides or lids or anything and notice a difference in colo times?

I had a jar that took 9 days from a multispore innoculation until FULL colonization. I think it was done before then actually, but I hadn't checked on it. That jar was laid on it's side... Perhaps mycellium likes growing horizontally better? Perhaps just fluke?

One theory I had was that the spore water had 'settled' onto the bottom, on side in this case, which has a larger surface area than the normal bottom and gave the spores a larger area or germination? The reason I say this is because it has been my experience that generally most of your growth in the beginning stages are towards the bottom, leading me to believe a 'settling' of the spores comes into play. If the spores settle onto the side of a jar that has been laid on its side, then possibly faster colo times?

I could be most likely just wasting my time here, but has anyone else noticed this?

You can't hold a man down without staying down with him.
-- Booker T. Washington

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Re: Incubating Jars: Orientation? [Re: DocPsilocybin]
    #2214685 - 01/02/04 09:19 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

yep my jars are on the side and colonized about the same time as the ones standing

wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
    #2214689 - 01/02/04 09:24 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

i flip mine alot,never use tape and leave them on there sides some of the time.i also break the cakes away from the jar at about 50% colonisation,i belive this all helps with air exchange and together with correct temps gives the fastest possible colonisation times.

Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?

Loc: The Matrix
    #2320573 - 02/10/04 06:28 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I have noticed that incubators often have a gradient of temperature increasing from the source of the heat (often the bottom) toward the top. This causes a direct correlation in the moisture content of a jar. Often the jars will be dry on the bottom and wet on the top.

If one were to have a 3 inch by 6 inch jar in an incubator that has a 1 degree gradation per inch from the heat source, the jar laid on end would have a 6 degree difference between the bottom and top while the jar laid on its side would have a 3 degree difference. The jar laid on its side would then have less of a moisture difference in the substrate than the jar on end.

This overall gradation of temperature can be decreased by using a well insulated incubator. I have had goo success with laying towels on top of the jars to act as an insulating layer.

The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation