Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Anonymous

Philosophical ramifications of my New Year's Eve party.
    #2213102 - 01/01/04 01:07 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Last night was a rare one for me.  I actually went out and partied with 'new' people.  Except for 4 people the entire party was filled with people I have never met or had a conversation with before.

And I saw something that absolutely amazed me!  :eek:

The party had striking parallels to the Shroomery!  Throughout the house were various conversations going on.  In some of the areas were people talking only about drugs like ODD or the Ethnobotanical Garden forums.  Other places people were discussing religion and evolution and were like S&P.  Still other places were all about personal stuff and making jokes like OTD.

AND some of the people shifted from area to area talking about the different subjects they found there.

I saw people change the topic in the middle of a discussion like steering a thread off-topic.  I saw people who just listened but didn't say much, like lurkers.

There were actually people there that spoke their minds and reminded me of people that I know on here.  That percentage was pretty low though.  In face to face discussions you can't hide behind "keyboard balls".

And there, like here, I kept my actual thoughts on subjects pretty much to myself.  It isn't wise to discuss certain things with people just interested in talking, or typing for that matter.

Cheers,

MM

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Philosophical ramifications of my New Year's Eve party. [Re: ]
    #2213126 - 01/01/04 01:54 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

"It isn't wise to discuss certain things with people just interested in talking, or typing for that matter."

Well you coulda just avoided those "certain things" hmm? Are you "anti-social," MM?

I am :wink:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Anonymous

Re: Philosophical ramifications of my New Year's Eve party. [Re: Strumpling]
    #2213135 - 01/01/04 02:03 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I don't see how I could have "avoided" hearing conversations and still stay at the party.

Am I anti-social? Damn straight I am. You don't stay on the Internet and post over 13,000 posts when you could be having real face to face interactions with people now do you?

Nice to see you back with us! You are one of a few that I actually missed when they left. I hope things have been well for you.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2213158 - 01/01/04 02:14 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

In face to face discussions you can't hide behind "keyboard balls".

Which is why I bring my keyboard to social functions...

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2213159 - 01/01/04 02:14 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I love parties of the type you wrote about, MM! And you are right, though I never thought about it before now. It is like being on a BBS of this type.

At a party like that, I usually like to bop around from conversation to conversation, until I find one that is interesting. If I don't find one that's interesting, I will start one, usually in the kitchen. Inevitably, everyone is in the kitchen.

Then, when I get tired of philosophical or spiritual conversation, I just start having fun, talking to whomever, about anything at all, usually phucking with people, and I will usually find at least one person to phuck with me back. Sigh.

Am I anti-social? Damn straight I am. You don't stay on the Internet and post over 13,000 posts when you could be having real face to face interactions with people now do you?

I don't think it's only an indication of being anti-social. I am totally the opposite of anti-social. A couple of weeks ago, my girlfriend moved into a new apartment. One evening, after she had just moved in, she was about to go out the front door to get food. She stopped when she heard her neighbor across the way leaving his apartment. She stopped and waited for him to leave. It was funny. I asked her why she waited, what had he done to make her not want to go out there and talk to him? She laughed at me because I will stop and talk to anyone. She just didn't want to meet her new neighbor right then.

I am on the internet because it is extremely difficult to find intelligent conversation out in life, in general. It would be too much work. And look how many different conversations you can be part of on a forum like this? I'm looking for answers to life. I'm hoping to find them here.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2213167 - 01/01/04 02:20 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I tend to be anti social... well, not so much anymore. I really don't mind talking to and being around people, but I usually tend to observe more than I talk and act.. I can make my presence known, pretty effectively... :grin:

Myself, I like looking at everything like a play, watching people's eyes and trying to find their intentions and what they are thinking, why they said or did what they did... observing is fun! :wink:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Anonymous

Re: Philosophical ramifications of my New Year's Eve party. [Re: Swami]
    #2213179 - 01/01/04 02:26 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

True, but I assume your keyboard is a musical instrument not a type thingy.

I do enjoy peering into the hearts of people which is one thing that isn't so readily apparent when you talk face to face.

On the Internet you can really see the fearful needs of the human heart.

Anonymous

Re: Philosophical ramifications of my New Year's Eve party. [Re: Frog]
    #2213186 - 01/01/04 02:38 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

At a party like that, I usually like to bop around from conversation to conversation, until I find one that is interesting. If I don't find one that's interesting, I will start one, usually in the kitchen. Inevitably, everyone is in the kitchen.

My style is to listen to various conversations until someone says something that reminds me of one of my "stories".  Last night I entertained the group with the time a crack dealer tried to kill me.  Fun stuff!  :lol:  He shot at me from point blank range but missed all three times!

Or sometimes I will attempt to interject a few thoughtful statements to see what happens.

I don't think it's only an indication of being anti-social.

I am on the internet because it is extremely difficult to find intelligent conversation out in life, in general.

The first statement is true as I see it.  I am an extroverted introvert.  My facility in speaking, either publicly as in giving a speech, or striking up a conversation with a total stranger, is a learned behavior, a result from courses I took in school and my tenure as a politician.

Intelligent conversation is difficult to find anywhere these days.  There is more of it on the Internet than in my hometown though.  I live in a virtual intellectual deadzone.  I have lived in a variety of states and Colorado had the highest percentage of smart, educated people.  The only problem was that they were mostly nuts.

:lol:

Anonymous

Re: Philosophical ramifications of my New Year's Eve party. [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2213188 - 01/01/04 02:40 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Really?

You seem like the thoughtful quiet type.  :lol:

I know what you mean.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2213198 - 01/01/04 02:47 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I have lived in a variety of states and Colorado had the highest percentage of smart, educated people. The only problem was that they were mostly nuts.

Well, the problem, as I see it, is that intelligent people are usually a little crazy. The crazier, the smarter. I think it goes hand-in-hand.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#2213199 - 01/01/04 02:51 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Mr_Mushrooms said:
Really?

You seem like the thoughtful quiet type.  :lol:

I know what you mean.

Like you said, it is a learned trait. Also, I tend to talk a lot more when I'm around friends and people I am pretty comfortable with. But I've been constantly working on my limitations, so eventually I won't feel uncomfortable if fifteen people are looking at me as I am talking, and most importantly, when I am on a stage performing...
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Anonymous

#2213205 - 01/01/04 02:55 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I think you may be right.  I am struggling with something.

If you guess what it is don't post about it.  It is too embarrassing. :blush:

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2213206 - 01/01/04 02:58 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Oh. You mean you're smart, too???

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Philosophical ramifications of my New Year's Eve party. [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2213210 - 01/01/04 03:00 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Stage fright isn't good for a musician.

I can talk a blue streak in front of people. I was an emcee where there were about 1,000 people one time and it didn't bother me a bit.

Playing music in front of others hasn't always gone so well though. I get nervous jitters playing small parties. That doesn't help at all.

Did you eat Lutefisk for the hols?

Anonymous

#2213220 - 01/01/04 03:11 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Actually no. My post graduate work was an abysmal failure. They rejected my doctoral dissertation crying about my use of crayola crayons.

I have had three Stanford-Binet IQ tests; one when I was 16, a score of 90, one when I was 30, a score of 85, and one when I was 45, a score of 82.

If this keeps up I'll be scrawling notes to myself on paper bags about my favorite day at the zoo.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2213227 - 01/01/04 03:15 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

MM plays an impressive classical guitar. He is in a glass by himself.  :cool:

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2213241 - 01/01/04 03:21 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I love classical guitar. I learned to play guitar, piano and the accordian (yes, laugh, go ahead) when I was younger, but I probably forgotten everything. I used to play classical on the piano. I listen to a jazz station in So. Cal. mainly for the classical guitar pieces.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Philosophical ramifications of my New Year's Eve party. [Re: Swami]
    #2213246 - 01/01/04 03:25 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Shhh don't give away my trade secrets!  :lol:

I forgot you actually heard me play. :blush:

Tonight I will definitely be in a glass by myself.  Unless a certain person joins me, that is.

We had a party and there is EXTRA WINE!

My doctor says I can drink all the wine I want to.  At least that is what it looks like he wrote on my last prescription. :grin:

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2213250 - 01/01/04 03:29 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Like Rush Limbaugh, it is important to pick your doctor carefully.

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#2213255 - 01/01/04 03:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Mr_Mushrooms said:
Stage fright isn't good for a musician.

No, it isn't. It isn't something I have done, but it will be something I will have to get used to when I do attempt it. As long as I know that we are well-rehearsed and I can play my parts with ease, I'll have no trouble. :grin:

Quote:

Did you eat Lutefisk for the hols?

Nope, although she joked about making it. The shit is poison... I'm not going to eat it, nei. I figure if there are Norwegians who won't eat it, then I won't. hehe.

We had pork ribs last night, I guess it is a favorite of the people over East.. we had reindeer on Christmas eve. Damn straight! Santa had to fly his fucking sleigh by his fat ole' self.  :lol:
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here