Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebroken_lizard
Lost in Space
how's this setup sound?
    #2211910 - 12/31/03 01:33 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

so i'm getting back into it again.
only now the household atmosphere is slightly different - i need to keep it totally inconspicuous (living with my sister if you catch my drift).

so here's my ''nobody is gonna know what's going on'' setup i have planned.
1. a large, 4 foot rubbermaid container with lid.
2. attached to underside of lid is a small fluorescent light. a 24 incher, used under kitchen cabinets.
3. for humidity, a glass gallon jar filled with water. an aquarium heater submerged within and the heat cranked.
4. both the light and heater cable run out the backside of the rubbermaid and plug into the socket that i have conveniently parked my whole operation in front of.
5. this whole operation takes place in my bedroom.

-the light can be turned on during the day, while it's naturally lit in the room. this leaves no chance of someone discerning artificial light peeking out of any crevice there should ever be.

-i believe the aquariam heater in the jar will create enough humidity for the container. note that i will set the heater to 85 degrees, and the room temperature is a pretty constant 67 degrees.

-the temperature of the container should be regulated by the temperature setting of the water heater - 85 degrees.

and that's it.
the only downer is that the container will need to be aired a few times a day.

if anyone can offer a simpler way of airing the container, QUIETLY, i would appreciate it.
i used to never have to air my setup, because i always used a cool mist humidifier to provide the air exchange as well as the humidity.
unfortunately, the cool-mist does have a little hum to it.
and if a quiet sunday afternoon rolls around when i'm not here, my sister may hear the hum coming from my bedroom and investigate.

so that's my setup, totally inconspicuous.
if anyone has any ideas on improving it, short of moving into my own place, i would surely be receptive.
thankyou,
peace with you all in this New Year.
        B.Lizard  :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
Re: how's this setup sound? [Re: broken_lizard]
    #2211928 - 12/31/03 01:39 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

You should get a thermometer and see just what the temperature will be of the area your casings will be. If it's too hot your casings will just keep colonizing.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

Invisibletuna
Stranger

Loc: california, bay area
    #2212118 - 12/31/03 03:05 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

use a heating pad underneath the rubbermade, it works for me. use perlite for humidification, it is the best. as for air flow, elevate your cakes/casings with something in the rubbermade. c02 is heavier than air, so as the mycelium produces it, it will fall to the bottom of the tank, while the casings are suspended in clean air. you will need to fan a little less often this way.

--------------------
i do not do anything illegal. (other than j-walking) everything i say i am doing or have done is a lie.

InvisibleMrPink
Stranger
    #2213063 - 01/01/04 10:19 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I would recommend against using heat as a method to provide humidity since temperatures should be low during fruiting, lower then colonization temps. Save the aquarium heater for an incubator. There are much better methods for providing humidity. A simple spay bottle or perlite will work fine for your set up. You could use a cool mist if you want to get fancy with it... anything but the aquarium heater, it'll only dry out the substrate.

OfflineHALFemptyJOSH
Magician
Male

Loc: USA Flag
    #2213113 - 01/01/04 11:32 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

i was going to do a setup some what like that, but on my side it doesn't have to be completely "secret"... i was gonna use perlite for humudity, but couldn't think of a good air exchange, got any ideas?
i'm looking for a very in-expensive air exchange.

--------------------
:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

Anonymous

#2213194 - 01/01/04 12:44 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

just say your growing edibles and buy some come harvest time or actually grow em with the goodies,sisters are nosy :wink:
goodluck

Offlineiggy
mycophile

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: how's this setup sound? [Re: tuna]
    #2213219 - 01/01/04 01:09 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

would a heating pad from a water bed work ok underneath the tub?
it has a temperature gauge that goes from 20 to 40 celcius and a little black wire coming off of it which i assume is to make sure the heat turns off when it reaches set temp.  sorry to invade your thread but im trying to set up a similar stealth chamber.  also  of I cut holees in the side and taped  coffe filters over the holes would this supply sufficient air exchange?  or would it affect the humidity levls too much.  (  thinking of using perlite or moist paper towel humidification)

thanx for any help you can give.
iggy

--------------------
Zip-"Mok, are we evil?"

Mok-"Do you know what evil spelled backwards is? Live. And we all want to do that dont we?"

Offlineiggy
mycophile

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: how's this setup sound? [Re: iggy]
    #2213229 - 01/01/04 01:16 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

yay i just found out that i can use the waterbed heater.  any comments on my holes with coffee filters taped over the holes  idea???  think it  would work?

thanx,  iggy

--------------------
Zip-"Mok, are we evil?"

Mok-"Do you know what evil spelled backwards is? Live. And we all want to do that dont we?"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck