Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinezDonaldson
Hobbit
 User Gallery
Monotub colonization slow grow
    #22116796 - 08/20/15 03:36 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I have a tub going prepared using this tek found here http://www.shroomery.org/10858/How-to-do-Coir
The spawn used was 15 BRF jars (I didn't know that WBS quart jars were a possibility) and the sub used in the tub is 1 brick coir mixed vermiculite. The substrate is about 3-4 inches in the tub. 

The tub is colonizing right now, the problem is it's been more than 2 weeks and the growth appears to be somewhat slow. Definitely it is growing and probably nearing full colonization but I am wondering if there's something I can do differently or better to speed growth?

As well, I used a solid blue, not see through tub, like in the tutorial. So, what would be a good method for introducing light? Plastic wrap? And I would like to clarify, is fresh air necessary at all during colonization? I've read differing opinions on this.

These photos were taken today. The white flecks are vermiculite but the whispy bits and the white splotches are mycelium and knots respectively. There are some solid chunks of mycelium poking out the top there. Maybe it is ready for fruiting already? Let me know what you think, as I"m not sure exactly what to look for. thanks for your help!

Photos:

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMdahmer
Aloysius devadander abercrombie
Male User Gallery

Re: Monotub colonization slow grow [Re: zDonaldson]
    #22116887 - 08/20/15 03:59 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

thats not nearly ready yet man, the way to speed colonization is to use grain spawn next time. or if you are set on using BRF cakes as spawn you should grate them up real fine with a cheese grater and then mix it all up, you will have way more inoculation points then just chunked up BRF cakes.

once you get that down you can move on to agar and isolate faster colonizing strains. or start using horse poo. my MS grows with hpoo almost always colonize a 66qt mono in 4-6 days. cubes love hpoo.

for colonization you only need gas exchange not fresh air. you get GE with the lid on cause they are never air tight. and as far as light you can just use saran wrap over the top with something to hold it pretty tight or you can get fancy and cut the inside of your lid out and rig saran wrap to that or use it to hold down your saran wrap...just try stuff out.

make sure you have holes in your tub for fruiting too i cant see if you have any holes ready yet. you should have two on the bottom about an inch \above the sub on the long sides, about 1 1/4" and one hole on the top on the short sides about 2 inch maybe a little smaller and stuff these with poly fil. loose up top tight on the bottom

OfflinezDonaldson
Hobbit
 User Gallery
Re: Monotub colonization slow grow [Re: Mdahmer]
    #22184566 - 09/03/15 09:37 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Awesome, thank you for the advice! So what I am wondering now is whether there is something we can do to speed up the process? Can we perhaps incubate it like with the jars? Or just wait and do nothing? Just hoping that this project will not go to waste. Please let me know when you can. Thanks again!

Invisiblesooperdooper
lazy fuck
Male User Gallery

Loc: This one place
    #22184773 - 09/03/15 10:12 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Never incubate, room temp of about 70-75f Works great. Higher temps invite a higher possibility of contamination. Looks good, just be patient and not peek so much, it seems to go faster when u don't watch it as much.
Just wait till it's solid white up top (consolidate if u want) and introduce to fruiting conditions.

Good luck sir:stoned:

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
99.9% of what i say is a lie...the other, gibberish. :stoned:

OfflinezDonaldson
Hobbit
 User Gallery
Re: Monotub colonization slow grow [Re: sooperdooper]
    #22186005 - 09/04/15 02:16 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Ok, sounds good. What do you mean by consolidate though?

Invisiblesooperdooper
lazy fuck
Male User Gallery

Loc: This one place
    #22187405 - 09/04/15 12:53 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Let it be 100% colonized for a few days before fruiting...letting the mycelium consolidate its hold on the substrate.

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
99.9% of what i say is a lie...the other, gibberish. :stoned:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation