Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLateForTheFuture
Old Hand
I'm a teapot User Gallery

couldn't find straw, so I got hay... will hay work?
    #2207812 - 12/29/03 01:48 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I simply cannot find any straw, I've looked everywhere... Hobby Lobby, Garden Ridge, Michael's, Home Depot, all the local gardening stores... I simply can't find it! Where does everyone pick their's up? I just simply cannot manage to get my hands on some, and its the last pick up on supplies I need to make. Any practical means of just picking up some straw??

--Couldn't find straw so I picked up some "timothy hay", anyone know if this is something I could use in substitution of straw?

Edited by LateForTheFuture (12/30/03 06:49 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemickywilliams2
journeyman
Re: I can't find straw!! I've looked everywhere--- quick help! [Re: LateForTheFuture]
    #2207896 - 12/29/03 02:20 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

lol
This reminds me of my first quest for straw. Call around to craft places and ask if they will order it for you.
I cant think of the brand name of those little craft bales but you can call the company and ask them about wholesalers in your area. I sent them an email and they gave me a list of like 6 suppliers in my area. Search "straw mini bales" to get the name.
I live right off the coast in Texas and all I can find in large bales is coastal hay and grass.
Everyone says that hay is no good because it has seeds but I know for a fact that coastal hay unlike other hay has no seeds and works just fine.

OfflineJetBlackNinja
Pimp-o-licious
Loc: $%^&
Re: I can't find straw!! I've looked everywhere--- quick help! [Re: LateForTheFuture]
    #2207898 - 12/29/03 02:21 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Reason #1, that Dr. Evil Wiener Dog does NOT use straw:

Can't find that shit anywhere.

--------------------

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #2207915 - 12/29/03 02:29 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

check a large pet store like petsmart or something equivalent. they usually sell it in small plastic bags for bedding for hamsters.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Offlinehaz
mycofunkatologist
Male

Loc: Earth!
Re: I can't find straw!! I've looked everywhere--- quick help! [Re: soochi]
    #2207967 - 12/29/03 02:48 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

or you could just get a bunch of hay, then leave it sit outside till it turns into straw... Or just get on the chat and find someone from a farm type state, make nice and buddy buddy, then get them to send it to you. :smile:

Invisiblekeyeghost
?

#2208049 - 12/29/03 03:24 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I'd say to check agriculture co-ops (Southern States a prominent one in my friends neck of the woods), or drive to a rural area walk up to a farmers door and ask him. My friend has done just that for horse shit, and has had much success. Just don't tell em they are for cubies. =)

Good luck!

--------------------
"time couldn't end me, even the great devil Satan who tried to befriend me, understand the equality, God in the bodily form, lettin my knowledge be born" RZA as Prince Rakeem

Anonymous

Re: I can't find straw!! I've looked everywhere--- quick help! [Re: haz]
    #2208081 - 12/29/03 03:44 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

or you could just get a bunch of hay, then leave it sit outside till it turns into straw...

that might take a while...  :smirk:

Anonymous

#2208083 - 12/29/03 03:45 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

check a farm or stables.

InvisibleLateForTheFuture
Old Hand
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Will the timothy hay work? [Re: ]
    #2210458 - 12/30/03 06:26 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

OK guys, so I found some stuff called "timothy hay", it was the only thing I can find around here... will it work?? I would think it will, its like bedding for rabbits.

OfflineSuby
Deadly ViperAssassinationSquad
 User Gallery

Loc: I'm over here now.
Re: Will the timothy hay work? [Re: LateForTheFuture]
    #2210585 - 12/30/03 08:04 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

timothy is a hay, grass used for feed. good for cows.

ask a farmer.

--------------------
"Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff."
Steven Wright.

Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

"I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets."

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Re: Will the timothy hay work? [Re: LateForTheFuture]
    #2210605 - 12/30/03 08:22 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

You could use timothy hay, but I wouldn't  :smirk:
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/7933

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Offlinecarfignewton
lost in my ownworld
Re: Will the timothy hay work? [Re: Suby]
    #2210930 - 12/30/03 11:40 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

well i guess im lucky that i dont have these problems,living on a farm and all. ups delivers every thing i need from brf and vermiculite to cow shit and straw oh wait all i have to do for the straw and shit is walk out side and its laying all around. sucks not to have to look all over the place for shit. :crazy2:

OfflineChromeCrow
one ancient mutha
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Hoosier HELL
Re: couldn't find straw, so I got hay... will hay work? [Re: LateForTheFuture]
    #2211186 - 12/31/03 03:20 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

if worst come to worst Myco Supply now carries mini-bales of straw, plus it helps out those that are helping keeping the shroomery online

--------------------
ISO: Orissa, Malabar, z strain

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #2211230 - 12/31/03 04:34 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

If you can not find straw, grow using birdseed or some other substrate available :wink:

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
    #2211485 - 12/31/03 09:36 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Hay will work, but since it has more seeds it's more prone to contamination. There's no difference between hay and straw except the time of harvest.

The easiest way to find straw I've found, without paying pet-store/art-store prices is to drive up and down a main road in a podunk town until you find a farm stand that sells it. Middle of the winter might be hard, though -- worse comes to worse big art stores like Michael's sells it, but it's a lot more expensive (good quality, though.)

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
Re: couldn't find straw, so I got hay... will hay work? [Re: micro]
    #2211496 - 12/31/03 09:42 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I usually find piles of it along the back roads after it falls off a wagon. Also is used around construction sites when they're landscaping. Helps to live in a farming community I guess!

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Re: couldn't find straw, so I got hay... will hay work? [Re: Pinhead]
    #2211501 - 12/31/03 09:46 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

That must be nice. Watch out though -- I was with a friend and we were debating over whether or not to grab a bale on the side of the road (for landscaping purposes) -- he didn't think it was fresh so we looked closer and found some mushrooms were already growing out of them....

--
Micro

--------------------

Edited by micro (12/31/03 09:48 AM)

Offlinejustsmurfy
little bluetwerp

Re: couldn't find straw, so I got hay... will hay work? [Re: micro]
    #2211544 - 12/31/03 10:13 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Mmmmmm, I believe straw is the stalks left over after harvesting grain such as wheat, rye, oats, rice, etc., while hay is any of a number of grasses grown strictly for harvesting the stalks (thus 'wheat straw' and 'oat straw' vs. hay).  Since those big grain harvesters are pretty good at threshing the grain, straw usually has very few seeds in it, though some can slip through (in my experience, they tend to be immature grain heads, which the farmers wouldn't want anyways).  Hay, on the other hand, can have lots of seeds in it, depending on how mature the grass was and what types of grasses were in the hay field.

I still love seeing those grain harvesters at work- they're like big (usually red around here) agricultural tanks.  "Enemy at twelve o'clock, Major!" :eyemouth:  Silly, I know, but I still like the thought.

-JustSmurfy

--------------------
Unsuitable for Human Consumption

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
    #2211574 - 12/31/03 10:35 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Orchard supply hardware sells straw...it is a small quantity, and it costs a couple of bucks. Not exactly a bargain. Usually, even in large metropolitan areas, there are feed stores. All you usually have to do is look in the yellow pages and call them. The more rural areas are even easier, but every big city has some horse stables in them. These stables buy straw somewhere.

A full bale of straw is only around $6-$8. Now I am pretty sure this is much more than you need, but I would rather have a full bale for $8 than buy 5 bags from osh for $2 a pop...up to you.

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Re: couldn't find straw, so I got hay... will hay work? [Re: justsmurfy]
    #2211577 - 12/31/03 10:36 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Mmmmmm, I believe straw is the stalks left over after harvesting grain such as wheat, rye, oats, rice, etc., while hay is any of a number of grasses grown strictly for harvesting the stalks (thus 'wheat straw' and 'oat straw' vs. hay).

Yup. Hay and straw don't depict the type of grass, just when they were harvested. Hay is harvested first then it becomes "straw" after it seeds.

--
Micro

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order