Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
InvisiblepachooDiscord
Witchakookoo
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Season 2 of True Detecitve. [Re: Soulidarity]
    #22096156 - 08/15/15 07:24 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Awww poopstick. I was actually really excited for this because the first season was amazing. Right when I saw Vince Vaughn in it I cringed.

Now I don't even know if I'm willing to even start it, but I'm sure I will. We've just been watching over stuff and we binge watch shows so we wanted to wait. Game of Thrones was a let down to me as well. I guessed every single thing that happened.

--------------------

:heartpump::heartpump: :heartpump::heartpump:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShroomslip
Architekt

#22096165 - 08/15/15 07:26 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I don't mind the idea of all new everything, but when you lose the entire feel of the first season, you lose the show. The chemistry is what made season 1 so good. Everything came together in just such a perfect way that it was absolutely incredible.

This season was total shit and everything was way too forced. I didn't see much bad acting, but I'm a poor judge of that. The dialogue was pretty shit though. It was all so tedious and boring. Every episode I was only forcing myself to watch hoping it'd get better and sometimes only being driven by an event that happened in the last few minutes of a prior episode that I just had to see what happened. Beyond that the monotony of it just led me to pause it incessantly. Was constantly looking for any distraction at all.

--------------------
With my face against the floor I can’t see who knocked me out of the way.
I don’t want to get back up but I have to so it might as well be today.
Nothing appeals to me no one feels like me, I’m too busy being calm to disappear.
I’m in no shape to be alone contrary to the shit that you might hear.

You can't wake up, this is not a dream. You're part of a machine, you are not a human being
With your face all made up, living on a screen. Low on self esteem, so you run on gasoline

InvisibleNifflerz
Male User Gallery

Loc: Pudge County, TX
Re: Season 2 of True Detecitve. [Re: pachoo]
    #22096167 - 08/15/15 07:27 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

pachoo said:
Awww poopstick. I was actually really excited for this because the first season was amazing. Right when I saw Vince Vaughn in it I cringed.

Now I don't even know if I'm willing to even start it, but I'm sure I will. We've just been watching over stuff and we binge watch shows so we wanted to wait. Game of Thrones was a let down to me as well. I guessed every single thing that happened.

Don't get me wrong, I still thought the season was worth the watch. If you can get over some of the cheesy dialogue, and the impossibly confusing storyline(s), it was still pretty entertaining in spots.

But yeah, it's no comparison for season 1. The first season crushed this season.

--------------------
Aka Pudge (the real one, not the bitch ass fake one from 2020)

OfflineShroomslip
Architekt

#22096170 - 08/15/15 07:27 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

pachoo said:

:lolsy: Game of Thrones was fucking epic in comparison. I didn't much like this season of it either though.

EDIT: Though I will guarnatee you aren't going to guess what's going on in True Detectives. Mostly because you're going to be struggling to even understand what is going on. Just about the only thing that was remotely predictable was the final episode. The rest you're just kinda there watching and every couple of minutes trying to understand what happened and why it happened and searching your brain for what line of the story the event even tied into.

--------------------
Nothing appeals to me no one feels like me, I’m too busy being calm to disappear.

You can't wake up, this is not a dream. You're part of a machine, you are not a human being
With your face all made up, living on a screen. Low on self esteem, so you run on gasoline

Edited by Shroomslip (08/15/15 07:41 PM)

OfflineSoulidarity
With Your Halo Slippin . . .
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlantis Flag
    #22096213 - 08/15/15 07:42 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

season 2 is still worth watching, its not bad or anything. but just don't expect it to be as good as season 1 was is all.

another great show i highly recommend which is very high quality is Boardwalk Empire. everything, the acting, the dialogue, screenplay, it has everything. 1950s prohibition mafia series about the birth of the mafia

and yeah shroomslip, the chemistry in season 1 was soo good. everything was convincing and seemed to flow naturally. was very intriguing and almost scary at times. season 2 didn't really have much of that. it all seemed disjointed and like they were just reciting lines from a script. you could see them trying to put pauses in and trying to make the interactions seem real, but the characters just didn't work together and was just very unconvincing.

--------------------

R.I.P. WoodRuss67, Todcasil, TheMerryIguana, The Rompus, Lord Senate.
[/url]

OfflineShining Cosmos
Space Nomad
Male

Loc: PHX
Re: Season 2 of True Detecitve. [Re: Soulidarity] * 1
    #22096351 - 08/15/15 08:24 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I liked boardwalk a lot. Especially the first three seasons..the final two seasons are more just to see how it ends.

InvisiblepachooDiscord
Witchakookoo

Re: Season 2 of True Detecitve. [Re: Shining Cosmos]
    #22096541 - 08/15/15 09:38 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I havent started boardwalk but we're about to start season 2 of penny dreadful. So I guess we'll give true detective a chance after that. I'll still watch it but now it's farther down the list haha

Boardwalk empire really intrigued us for the past few years but I have no reason why we didn't just start it haha

--------------------

OfflineShroomslip
Architekt

#22096549 - 08/15/15 09:40 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Season 2 of Penny Dreadful was a lot more interesting than the first one. There are low points, but overall, it was a better experience. I might not of even been interested in a season 3 if it weren't for 2 really drawing me in.

--------------------

InvisiblepachooDiscord
Witchakookoo

Re: Season 2 of True Detecitve. [Re: Shroomslip]
    #22096579 - 08/15/15 09:48 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I'm all about the supernatural neo-victorian. I actually am thinking about getting the tarot cards she uses for my birthday. *squee*

Thanks for the replies guys. Good gauging for true detective.

--------------------

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Loc: Trump Train
    #22105768 - 08/18/15 08:33 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Soulidarity said:
1950s prohibition mafia series about the birth of the mafia

I hope that's a typo...

Anyway I agree with the sentiment that the show loses a lot after season 2.  Probably because it was originally intended to be a mini-series, and then they had to stretch the story out for four seasons.

The acting in season 2 of TD really isn't bad.  In fact the chick is really good.  There are some great scenes, between Ray and the young guy is a nobeable scene.  But the dialogue is really poorly written and corny.  It's tough to sell that kind of shit when it is written in an unbelievable way. 

I agree with the general sentiment that the season is worth watching.  It had every chance to be as good as season 1 until the last episode.  Once that fell flat, the whole thing takes a major hit.  What I am trying to say is that I would have forgiven the show for a lot of its shortcomings if the ending was done well, but it wasn't, so it just makes all the shortcomings glare.

I agree that the real thrust and point of interest in the first season was the relationship between Harrelson and McConneghy, both as actors and as their characters.  But that's not to say that every season has to have that same dynamic, especially between the characters.  The thing about season 1 was, here's two guys with completely different worldviews who have to learn to work together in order to accomplish a goal.  You don't need that every time.  This season tried to be about two deeply wounded people finding each other through a common goal, which is fine, if done better...

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Season 2 of True Detecitve. [Re: Senor_Doobie]
    #22105798 - 08/18/15 08:44 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

i think thats partly what made season 2 so hard to follow, they tried to make it about 6 or 8 different main actors/storylines like they are game of thrones or something, whereas season 1 basically just had those 2 actors.  I think the story telling was just as crazy for season 1, but because it focused on only 2 people that made it a bit easier to follow.

plus alot of this shit in season 2, in hindsight, was just filler.  The girl going to see her dad?  when she first met her dad i was thinking ok down the line he'll become important somehow to the story, but it turned out to basically just be a bunch of visits (filler).  The gay guy almost feels the same way like his storyline , 1 example is that cash that turned out missing, does that whole thing just seem out of place/stupid now?  at least he went out with an action scene.  i actually liked that guys acting and felt he made the season interesting but the way he went out seemed slightly off.

and come to think of it, the way they ended every single storyline seemed off its like everything was half assed.  Someone, somewhere, in the making of this show must be like fresh out of college or something thats what it feels like.  Its got HBO money, with a decent idea, but its getting executed by some rookies

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Loc: Trump Train
Re: Season 2 of True Detecitve. [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #22106366 - 08/18/15 11:37 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I agree that this season spent a lot of time trying to flesh out the characters and that led to a confusing story.  i had to watch a lot of the episodes twice in order to understand what was going on and even still I have things left that didn't add up.

I wouldn't go as far as to call that stuff "filler" though.  For example you mention the lady detective and her father.  The lady detective's story I found to be the most interesting and her relationship with her father reveal a big part of her inner-conflict.  In the beginning we see the detective as being really angry and resentful but as time goes on and she remembers more about her past she kind of finds some peace.  The scenes between her father and her serve to reveal this transformation to the viewer.

To me the biggest flaw in this show was the Frank character.  I never cared.  I don't know why he got so much screen time.  It just doesn't work for me at all.  I would have kept him out of any scenes that weren't about Ray, much like the lady cop's father wasn't in any scene without the lady cop.  Forgive me for forgetting her name.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineShining Cosmos
Space Nomad
Male

Loc: PHX
Re: Season 2 of True Detecitve. [Re: Senor_Doobie]
    #22106513 - 08/18/15 12:08 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I think they listened to the critics to much. They tried to create something complicated but it was just too much.

I was thinking for season 3 itd be cool if there was FBI involved or something. Maybe like willam Defoe, Jared Leto, and paz de la Huerta. Probably not a hot but it would be cool to me.

InvisibleSoularize
slanted and enchanted
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States
Re: Season 2 of True Detecitve. [Re: Shining Cosmos]
    #22106935 - 08/18/15 02:20 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Season 2 was a great example of how too much plot can be a bad thing. I've read that Pizzolatto took something like two or more years to write the first season, whereas he wrote this last season in maybe half that amount of time. Also, Cary Fukunaga is a pretty amazing director, and he directed the entire first season (which he won an emmy for). This season employed a different director for each episode. That method may work fine for a comedy series or something, but maybe not for TD.

I wasn't expecting the acting to rival that of the first season, which was phenomenal, but I sure felt unconvinced many times while watching both farrell and vaughan. I admired the tenacity of Frank's character, his inexorable grit, but there were also times I felt like I was watching a caricature of a gangster. And am I the only one who thought it sounded like colin farrell was holding in a fat shit nearly every time he spoke? I get it, his character is rough, but the rasp/growl was overdone imo.

All that being said, TD season 2 is still better than most of the stupid crap on TV. Season 3 will be better I think.

--------------------
"All but one man died. There at Bitter Creek. And they say he ran awayyy." - A little show called Branded

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order