Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
I need help quick plz!!
    #2210220 - 12/30/03 05:38 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

HELP! I'm going to include all the details, even though I'm uncertain that these details are a part of the problem...

I installed a new maxtor 160gb hard drive, and installed XP on it.

I got XP service pack 1, and enabled the oversized drive with maxtor's big drive enable software.

I installed all my favorite programs, and everything went great for about a week.

Yesterday, the computer spontaneously restarted itself. I had only one program running (yahoo instant messenger), and the computer had just been turned on. I logged on yahoo messenger and was looking at some offline messages and wham! It restarts.

When it restarted it said "operating system not found"

I cursed for a few minutes, then I tried to repair XP. The setup program informed me that the drive was not formatted.

I reinstalled everything again from scratch all over again.

Now it's running again, but (here's the current problem)but the mouse cursor will all of a sudden freeze on the screen, only to start moving again a few seconds later.

I noticed this problem early in the process of reinstalling everything from scratch, and I even started over again. This didn't help.

This god damned mouse will just freeze up, then continue, in a never ending fashion. It's got me ripping out hair folicles, so can someone please tell me what would cause this to happen?

The PC is 3 years old, and I kind of hope the fucking processor is starting to fry, so that I will have an excuse to start building my new system. But, I have no idea what it is. Please help.

BTW: (the mouse is NOT dirty inside, I already thought of that.)

Thanks a bunch!

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: I need help quick plz!! [Re: Lightningfractal]
    #2210251 - 12/30/03 05:49 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Now it's running again, but (here's the current problem)but the mouse cursor will all of a sudden freeze on the screen, only to start moving again a few seconds later.

Mine did the same thing. Turned out to be a bad dram module.

Try this. Shut it off. Leave it off for 15 minutes or so. Try to reboot and see if it does the same thing. Or if you have a can of FreeZ-It, shut it down, hose down the module, reboot.

If the problem goes away there's a good chance you've found the problem.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Re: I need help quick plz!! [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2210267 - 12/30/03 05:55 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I had it off all night last night and it still does it today.

So you are saying the memory stick could be at fault? I could buy a new one then refund the old one (shhhhhh, don't tell.)

What is this freezit stuff, and what does it do? I never heard of the stuff.

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

#2210282 - 12/30/03 06:06 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Ok, I popped the memory stick out then put it back in, and it seems to be ok now. Maybe there was a bad connection on one or more pins.

I guess I better get a contact cleaner spray and have at it with that so the problem doesn't come back in 2 hours.

Would this have caused the severe hard drive crash that I had before? Or do I have another problem too maybe?

Thank you very much BTW!!

Edit: Fuck! It's doing it again! Should I just change the stick?

--------------------

Edited by Lightningfractal (12/30/03 06:10 PM)

InvisibleLanaM
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
    #2210308 - 12/30/03 06:30 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Go to Best Buy, purchase a new stick. Pop it in, if it works keep it, if not take it back.

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Re: I need help quick plz!! [Re: Lana]
    #2210317 - 12/30/03 06:39 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

yeah, that's what I'm gonna have to do. Thanks all.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#2210326 - 12/30/03 06:53 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

This is FreeZ-It

I hope you were kidding about "refunding" the old module. That would be stealing and only scumbags steal.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#2210331 - 12/30/03 06:55 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Try pulling it out and stick it in the freezer for awhile if you can't find FreeZ-It.

--------------------

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

#2210535 - 12/30/03 09:16 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I hope you were kidding about "refunding" the old module. That would be stealing and only scumbags steal.

Na, it has a lifetime warranty, so I would just be getting warranty service without all the red tape and delays.

Ok, so what does freezing it do? Is that a temporary or a perminant fix? How long do I keep it in the freezer?

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#2211288 - 12/31/03 08:20 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

It just cools of the module long enough to see if it's temp related which is why FreeZ-It is so good. With it you can turn off your system, hose down the module without removing it, and try a reboot.

The freezer would take longer but it may have the same effect. Call an electronics supply store and look for FreeZ-It or something similar.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology