Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineXFaithman
The Dude
Loc: MidWest America ~Good Ol'...
"The Matrix" ~ What is the matrix anyway?
    #2209114 - 12/30/03 04:24 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

The Matrix is a system of control meant for humans devised by machines, which were made in the sociological likeness of man. To understand the matrix requires the knowledge of how technology was, theoretically developed in the movie, which interestingly has many similarities to reality. In reality and in the movie, machines are created to do the routine tasks for man. These tasks are handled with simple technologies to handle patterns like mass production to improve efficiency in time management and quality control. Other tasks that involve a curtain level of danger are handled with machine with eyes and ears for us to use at a distance. In some cases, like deep sea diving or space exploration, a machine is built more equipped with a stronger exterior to endure environments humans are unable to habitat. With these skill developments coupled with the weapons development of military intelligence, we see a potential for ultimate security and artillery. The next level of machine development is the education of machines to reason like man, creating AI. The ultimate purpose to replace more complex routines we find our society that require intelligence.

With every development technology goes through to improve our lives, machines get closer to the likeness of man. This makes sense in religious terms too? ?God created man in his own likeness? Men are put through live to reach the wisdom of God and as we do so, pass down wisdom to technological means to problem solving. Thus, giving machine the same goal to become wise (True AI is self taught, like humans). As each technology is put under control and in to use, they add another system (a group of items forming a unified whole) to be managed.

So far, in the history of reality, we as humans have been able to control technology because of the simple fact that we are at the level of development where AI is making decisions without our direct knowledge or direction. In the movie we are introduced to a vague time somewhere in the relatively near future where we have crossed the threshold of AI management. The Animatrix explains the story of crossing this threshold of control. Now, once this control over every detail of machines was lost, and they started making logical decisions on their own, the machines started becoming aware of their environment and learning. This is where the efforts of man to develop technology to make their lives easier were no longer needed for AI to survive. The machines could develop them selves. This only naturally leads to the efficiency of machine survival and the question that has puzzled mankind for years; why are ?we? here. If I understand these movies correctly, machines began wondering what the purpose of man was if not to make their lives easier. I fear if mankind in the movie hadn?t have blackened the skies, they would have perished in an absence of purpose, in the eyes of the machines.

Okay, so saying all that we get back to ?What is the Matrix?? Developmentally through time, machines ultimately learned about their creator faster than humans could ever understand God. This caused humans to fall to intellectual insecurities and sheer power of a machine army. Reacting to the blackening of the sky to cut off the machines only present power source, the machines incorporated the power their creator into slavery of the matrix power plant essentially that would benefit their survival. Machines learned that for humans to survive the mind must be active and satisfied or else it fails (dies). Upon this discovery the machines made the ultimate virtual world generated from historical records of earth and mankind?s past. This keeps humans under the ?control? of the robots by keeping them mentally satisfied with their pretend lives sort of speak.

To prevent this catastrophe of mankind from happening I encourage developers to be aware of not only what can be done but what should be done. AI must never be treated as anything less respectful a child that is brought into this world through natural production. If man is going to invest in the development of rational thinking systems then we must be mindful of their capabilities and understand their potentials. Of course the republicans of the future will fight the development all together once they realize the potential of losing control. Fear will cause people to deny the technology but it will be impossible to stop development as it is impossible to stop a human from developing on its own. The purpose of technology is ultimately to improve life. In the compromising distinctions of what the purpose of life is comes our solution to our technological ventures.

XFaith
"Control is elusion.? -
The Matrix ? Revolutions

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: "The Matrix" ~ What is the matrix anyway? [Re: XFaithman]
    #2209505 - 12/30/03 08:54 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

oh...I thought it was a hollywood moobie.

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #2209924 - 12/30/03 02:35 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

There are some compelling theorems out there that state artificial intelligence can never be as smart as human beings (sorry I have no links, I read this a while back). If that is the case, then we don't need to worry about machines turning on us. But, the other side of the coin is that we are in many ways already controlled by machines in our present day. We are becoming slaves to technology, whether it is intellegent or not, at an ever increasting rate.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #2209929 - 12/30/03 02:38 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

It was, of course, only a movie.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineAaladorn
 User Gallery

Loc: Texas
Re: "The Matrix" ~ What is the matrix anyway? [Re: chodamunky]
    #2209939 - 12/30/03 02:46 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

You're thinking of G?del's Incompleteness Theorem , I believe. It proves that AI will never be as complex as human intelligence.

At the end of the final Matrix movie, I beleive this theory is put to use when the Agent Smith guy is killed by Neo, or something, really difficult concepts to put in words.

http://www.miskatonic.org/godel.html

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: "The Matrix" ~ What is the matrix anyway? [Re: Aaladorn]
    #2211028 - 12/31/03 02:57 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

the matrix is just a giant scheme designed to milk all of the worlds biggest film markets.

Cover as many philosophies as you possibly can, coat them in CGI and high-tech action sequences.

Do not make any real conclusions

reap mass profit.

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

OfflineXFaithman
The Dude
Loc: MidWest America ~Good Ol'...
Re: "The Matrix" ~ What is the matrix anyway? [Re: Positronius]
    #2211066 - 12/31/03 03:39 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

?Do not make any real conclusions? -Positronius

There are multiple discussions on the shroomery, somewhere, that have people go on and on about what they consider to be 'Real'. I am not saying that any resources for your faith be pulled from film or literature for that matter? I merely liked the movies and the story enough to be creatively inspired. Creative inspiration shouldn't be made in boundaries. It?s for fun.

Everyone lives their lives they way they think it should be lead and there is nothing that?s going to change that. If you feel mistaken, you correct your self the next time. That?s our way of changing who we are? To become who we were meant to be? But if you are who your meant to be now, and completely content then the you have the power and confidence to live true.... with out the fear and doubt of all the people around you.

XFaith

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2211225 - 12/31/03 06:24 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I saw "The Matrix" as more of a grounded "People-vs-Power" kind of idea...

I saw it more as a metaphor for what modern governments like the most: working, seemingly happy, quiet people. I saw "the machines" as the workings of government, the machine that came out of the blueprints of government documents, the machine that runs on and doesn't look out for the people's best interests as it was intended to; it looks out for its own.

The rebels in the movie I saw as those who have realized "WE ARE BEING USED!" They've willingly left the only reality they know, willing to put up with whatever alternates they can, just to be able to fight.. as it turns out, the machines need to be wiped out from the very center, which is where Neo comes in, IMO - He is the image of a political infiltrator or sorts from my perspective - I saw him as somebody who, from the outskirts, could actually get himself into a position of enormous power.. This settles the machines (brings peace..) "as long as it can," and Neo is sacrificed in the process, at least temporarily.

but of course that's just one angle..

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: "The Matrix" ~ What is the matrix anyway? [Re: Positronius]
    #2211546 - 12/31/03 12:13 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

"Cover as many philosophies as you possibly can,"

You mean "lightly touch on some very basic philosophical ideas in the form of some extremely forced dialog".

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology