Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Gypsum, Laminar Flow Hood, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSleky
 User Gallery

Loc: Gotham
Checkin in....
    #22090358 - 08/14/15 10:37 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Hey hey hey!  What's the good word!?!?  Been a minute since I've posted something.  Just wanted to let you all know that I'm still alive an well.  Sadly however - I cannot seem to get a tub going.  I've scaled down and rethought my problems and I feel I might have a solution.  Time will tell!  Eh, isn't that the name of this hobby?  hahaha

So what is it that I'm going to try you say?  GLAD ya asked!  Not sure - in vitro - I believe is what it is called.  Not going to use glass containers however, I'm using large filtered grow bags.

I've been dealing with a stupid amount of contams when transferring to bulk.  Never gets to colonize before it is overtaken.  So, I'm hopeful that this works.  I'm still trying to figure out my substrate prep however.  Should I go ahead and sterilize it?  Is pasteurization what I HAVE to do however?  If so, hot water kinda pasteurization as I make the substrate or traditionally on the stove (which didn't turn out so well last time, fucking thermostat didn't alert till it was too late, grrrrrr....)  Or do I say fuck it and just forgo anything and just dump my grains in and hope for the best?  Hmmmm....  I'm leaning towards just cookin it for past pasteurization but not worrying about the FULL sterilization. 

(I should throw this in there - my substrate for bulk is a coir prep.)

I am sure that someday all this work will do something.  Heh - but the frustrations mount with each failure and the heart pains looking at each grains possibility squashed by the nasty green shit.  Chin up, right!

Onto the pron......

B+ and Burma sayin wazzup!

--------------------
Check out my journal HERE!  Contains my current work in progress.  Puff on...

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

Loc: Babylon
Re: Checkin in.... [Re: Sleky]
    #22090373 - 08/14/15 10:45 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

shake those jars and watch them finish in a couple of days!
they all look nice strong and healthy to me!

OfflineSleky
 User Gallery

Re: Checkin in.... [Re: spacechildo]
    #22090386 - 08/14/15 10:50 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Nods - Tomorrow is my shake day.  Only the left side, those are getting a pickmeup.  hehe.  It's all about timing, right?  I don't want to struggle with 80 bags in one weekend.  The one on the bottom left, is ready for a G2G - but that is still another couple weeks out before I need to get that transferred.  But she's ready!

Thanks spacechildo.  I feel I've gotten rather good at G2Gs and descent enough at inoculation (been a minute since I've had to do that however, G2Gs ftw!)  Now if only my spawning was as fruitful.  ;D  I keep singing "just keep transferring, just keep transferring, trannnnnsfeerrrr!  trannnnsssferrrr!"  hahahaha

--------------------

Offlinetetherface
get in where you fit in
Male User Gallery

Loc: wild
    #22090435 - 08/14/15 11:18 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

what are you using for bulk? and your pasteurization methods? I've been spawning monos on my back deck all summer and the only problems I've had were from contam'd spawn (grain slurry gone wrong....)but IME contam before 1st flush is usually bad spawn i looked closely at your pics and they look good though real good actually which is why i asked the above q's either way good luck:thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

#22090441 - 08/14/15 11:21 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

what are you spawning to? coir,verm,gypsum is a fool proof substrate, bucket tek it, pasteurize it, sterilize it, whatever, mold spores wont germinate on it.

when do you normally see contaminants? when giving fresh air or before full colonization?

OfflineSleky
 User Gallery

#22091188 - 08/14/15 03:19 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I have tried about....  4 or 5 tubs.  Yeah, coir/vermiculite/gypsum.  Generally I've got them to capacity and then did normal pasteurization.  The problem is then going from jars to bulk.  Always contams.  Always.  I even make sure none of the grains are showing by putting about a .5 inch layer of bulk substrate on top.  All to no avail.  That's why I think going from jar to bag to bulk might help with my problems.  I want to see some pins before I put it in the bulk.

I was thinking 2 jars per bag, and then doing 3 bags per bin.  I'm going to have to play around with my measurements as I'm creating the bulk so that I don't have "too much" substrate an no room for integration into the bin.

The contams have been my bane.  Seriously not sure what else I can do.  I clean the shit out of the room I'm working in.  Ensure the air is off for a good hour before I work.  So frustrating...  UGH!

But my spawn jars do look solid thats why I can't think its them.  I HAVE had some failures in the jar.  And took those two right out (I want to say my filter port got messed up sometime.)

Thankx for the guidance tho!  I'll just keep on keeping on.  hehe

--------------------

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

#22091297 - 08/14/15 03:40 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I cant imagine it being anything but your grain spawn :shrug:

I dont see how putting the grains in bags is gonna help anything?
your culture could have a white mold intertwined in the myc, can be real hard to spot.

post more pics of your agar plates and grain jars before spawning them.
try PC'ing your grains longer also cant hurt..

Offlineshellzenone
Zen
Male User Gallery

#22091369 - 08/14/15 03:59 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I had the same problem before. I read that the problem is in the spawn. It could be that there is a hidden contam weakening your mycellium. Then once it is spawned, it is over taken by other noticeable contams.

Try staring over from agar. There is a thread somewhere around here dedicated to hidden contams.

Offlineshellzenone
Zen
Male User Gallery

Re: Checkin in.... [Re: shellzenone]
    #22091398 - 08/14/15 04:05 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Found the thread with a simple search:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22020260

OfflineSleky
 User Gallery

Re: Checkin in.... [Re: shellzenone]
    #22091906 - 08/14/15 06:21 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I feel that my failures have been because they haven't had a chance to colonize the larger tub.  And that is why I want to more prestine environment to be established and colonized before going larger.  Hell, I might end up just spawning to the growbag and leaving them in the bag to finish up there.  At least... 

That is my gut feeling as my grain jars look good.  I'll get some closer images of a few from each batch for viewing pleasure.  =]

Yea, there are agar plates.  Only because they were available when I was at the science store so I snagged them.  I haven't begun that en-devour yet.  Might be a bit before I can manage that.  I want to build a flow hood first.  <shrug>

Thanks for the link!!  I looove reading material.  <bow>

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Gypsum, Laminar Flow Hood, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation