Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineenimatpyrt
addict
Gun Lock Giveaways - Effective Gun Control
    #2208261 - 12/29/03 07:17 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

In the United States, police departments are recieving shipments of cable gun locks. The gun locks are from a federally funded program that is designed to ensure that every gun in America is locked when not in use. The cable lock is designed so that the gun can not be loaded or fired. The locks do NOT prevent people from stealing them, as they can be simply cut with bolt cutters or wire cutters. I think that this is an EXCELLENT demonstration of what can happen when concerned citizens (read: NRA) try to stop gun accidents without impinging upon others rights. The police aren't allowed to ask any questions (such as name, address, etc) or request identification. They are allowed to limit the number of locks given to any specific person at one time tho. Two Thumbs Up to this project!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
Re: Gun Lock Giveaways - Effective Gun Control [Re: enimatpyrt]
    #2208440 - 12/29/03 09:08 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I got the impression that you thought government spending on the people is theft through taxation.

Glad to see your coming around.

America is the joke of the developed world when it comes to rampant gun proliferation and the social danger that causes. If I was an American this program wouldn't make me feel much better, I guess it's better than nothing, a few more kids might not play bang-bang with guns...

Personally, I don't understand the American fascination/obsession with owning guns. I don't have one, I don't know what I'd do with one if I did, and I know very few people that do, (my uncle hunts deer in Saskatchewan)

I've got a redneck uncle in Alberta who thinks like the NRA though...he's got a few guns, but he rarely shoots them...he's a funny guy!

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

Anonymous

Re: Gun Lock Giveaways - Effective Gun Control [Re: carbonhoots]
    #2208469 - 12/29/03 09:27 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

America is the joke of the developed world when it comes to rampant gun proliferation and the social danger that causes.

:sad:

hold me.

Offlineenimatpyrt
addict
    #2208471 - 12/29/03 09:29 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

carbonhoots said:
I got the impression that you thought government spending on the people is theft through taxation.

As long as it isn't to help out welfare mommas, I'm fine with it.
Quote:

America is the joke of the developed world when it comes to rampant gun proliferation and the social danger that causes.

i'll let europe laugh at me, because I make more money than most europeans do, and I get to keep more of it. Also, American food doesn't taste like shit :smile:  Also, I kinda like having rights, would the "developed world" like how Hitler enforced gun control? Stalin?

Quote:

Personally, I don't understand the American fascination/obsession with owning guns.  I don't have one, I don't know what I'd do with one if I did, and I know very few people that do, (my uncle hunts deer in Saskatchewan)

I don't understand the European fascination/obsession with cowardism and dependancy.. Choice 1 ) Buy mad cow meat  choice 2) hunt, pretty easy to me, no?  Are't guns a great way for poor people to catch their own food?
Quote:

I've got a redneck uncle in Alberta who thinks like the NRA though...he's got a few guns, but he rarely shoots them...he's a funny guy!

That is funny? I miss the humour there.

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
Re: Gun Lock Giveaways - Effective Gun Control [Re: enimatpyrt]
    #2208680 - 12/29/03 11:41 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

enimatpyrt, you support social programs for gun owners, but not poor children?

You make more money than (most) europeans do you? And your (slightly ) lower taxes go to fund the biggest war machine in history, plus the largest prison population in the world, but I bet you pay more for insurance (all types) and maybe utilities (they are cheaoer in Canada at least), plus in western europe they don't have poverty like in the states. That means less crime, therefore less reason to get a gun...whether you are a criminal or a victim protecting themselves from a criminal.

The food tastes better? Where does that come from?

Where are the Hitlers and Stalins now? Europe must be ripe for the plucking having such a disarmed population and all, what with their gun control laws. Just cuz Hitler and Stalin took guns away from the population doesn't mean if the population is armed, it's a guarantee against tyrany. That has nothing to do with reality, the Hitler and Stalin made guns illegal for citizens thing.

Hunting your own meat isn't easy, by the way, that's why people prefer to get their meat at the store. And I think in a rich country like the states, the poor shouldn't have to live off the land just cuz their ruling class are a bunch of selfish cheapskates. How uncivilized. So you got a good job? I hope for your sake it doesn't get exported to Mexico or China, cuz you'll be living off the land then! Or would you think that's right, to have your job exported to a slave so the owners can make even more money.

Your right about one thing though, there was nothing funny about what I said about my uncle. I was stating matter-of-factly that he's a funny guy. Extra information, I'm sorry to bore you with it.

Maybe I'm out of line with 'America is the joke of the world' comment. Hopefully some other people on this board from places other than America can tell me if they consider America's belief that the more guns people buy, the safer the people are is laughable.

It cracks me up at least.

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

Edited by carbonhoots (12/30/03 12:16 AM)

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2208707 - 12/29/03 11:54 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

People have as much right to own guns as they do to own drugs.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #2209449 - 12/30/03 08:10 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

It is remarkably easy to find stats that clearly show that states that pass concealed carry laws see a decrease in the crime rate.

Look with an open mind.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Gun Lock Giveaways - Effective Gun Control [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2209531 - 12/30/03 09:37 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

But do they have as few gun-related deaths as the UK?

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Gun Lock Giveaways - Effective Gun Control [Re: Xlea321]
    #2209548 - 12/30/03 10:00 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Nope. We do however have fewer gun related deaths per capita than several countries with stricter gun laws. All of which have nothing to do with either the subject of the original post or the fact that gun crimes go down in states where there are more liberal concealed carry laws.

Lame attempt to derail a thread.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Gun Lock Giveaways - Effective Gun Control [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2209550 - 12/30/03 10:03 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

What on earth did your concealed gun nonsense have to do with the initial post? And you talk about derailing threads? :rolleyes:

If you're going to make a statement prepared to be called on it.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Gun Lock Giveaways - Effective Gun Control [Re: Xlea321]
    #2209558 - 12/30/03 10:15 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I would think that even to you, the relevance should be obvious.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion