Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleTrueBrode
Stranger

What is the point of all this arguing?
    #2207880 - 12/29/03 04:12 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

It seems like half the threads here are back and forth squabbling between those that think there is more than just the tangible world, and those that are rooted firmly in scientific reality. Can't we just end this already? I don't really believe in what people like Shroomism write about, simply because I have never seen/heard any proof with my own two eyes or ears, but what is the point in trying to completely deconstruct his/her belief system just so you can feel like you are smart (which is fairly easy to accomplish). There are a few people here that obviously start threads just to evoke a certain response from the believers, so they can tell them how silly they are and feel better about themselves.

I enjoy hearing every possible theory of life's meaning or non-meaning, and deliberating the relevance and validity for myself. If something is completely bogus (easy to disprove), and somebody is stating it as fact, then of course it is fine to correct him or her, but that is not the case most of the time. Sometimes the people arguing have not even read the book/article in question, and then rant about how ridiculous it is, just assuming they are right. Sometimes the people arguing are not even writing anything relevant or informed, just simply trying to argue because they get off on it.

I wish this board could be put to good use (which it probably more often than not is), instead of these childish fights that result to insulting people about how silly and immature they are because they suggest something “spaced out.” Even though I personally don’t believe in any higher meaning, I would never want to spend my energy trying to convince someone to start thinking exactly like me- leading a life that is assumed to be meaningless and finite. I still have enough humility to comprehend that yes, even though science makes more sense and we have no reason to believe otherwise, there may be something more to this experience than I know or can comprehend.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelucid
Jack's AlteredConsciousness

Loc: up on the bidet
Re: What is the point of all this arguing? [Re: TrueBrode]
    #2207924 - 12/29/03 04:32 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

and I quote Monty Python...
is this the arguing thread ? :grin:

--------------------
"no-mind un-thinks no-thought..."

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2208152 - 12/29/03 06:22 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Debate, to me, is an end in and of itself. I can lay out my ideas about reality, and see how well they hold up to the skeptical inquiry of people like Swami and Schlorch.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2208162 - 12/29/03 06:28 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I wish this board could be put to good use...

Wishing and whining will get you nowhere. Stop pretending that you are powerless or that others "should" do something! Create a vision of how this community can be used more positively, share it with others and be a driving force to make it so.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2208308 - 12/29/03 07:44 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

"It seems like half the threads here are back and forth squabbling between those that think there is more than just the tangible world, and those that are rooted firmly in scientific reality. Can't we just end this already? I don't really believe in what people like Shroomism write about, simply because I have never seen/heard any proof with my own two eyes or ears, but what is the point in trying to completely deconstruct his/her belief system just so you can feel like you are smart (which is fairly easy to accomplish). There are a few people here that obviously start threads just to evoke a certain response from the believers, so they can tell them how silly they are and feel better about themselves. "

throughly investigating one's own belief system is essential in learning IMHO. it's what we do here, investigate, have opinions, investigate sommore, learn off of the investigation, ask others what they think, debunk new investigations, or ask questions. All the same in the world of learning. different people have different ideas.

look, we should be happy that there are those who care enough to type something down. they care enough to investigate, to insert their opinion. not for the sake of being right, but rather trying to find the right

"Sometimes the people arguing have not even read the book/article in question, and then rant about how ridiculous it is, just assuming they are right. Sometimes the people arguing are not even writing anything relevant or informed, just simply trying to argue because they get off on it."

you assume that they haven't read anything. you assume that they "think" they are right, when in actuality they MAY be seeing the reasons behind things

too many times people will say things without backing anything up. I mean even if the "evidence" is personal, it's good to see why people think what they think. this is learning and teaching.

"I wish this board could be put to good use (which it probably more often than not is), instead of these childish fights that result to insulting people about how silly and immature they are because they suggest something ?spaced out.?

hey, I'm spaced out lol. this board is put to good use, I put it to good use. I know about 20 other folks that do that same thing. y don't you do your part? post some thought provoking threads!!!!

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: What is the point of all this arguing? [Re: kaiowas]
    #2208345 - 12/29/03 08:05 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I sort of like throwing my ideas out and seeing what people say. If someone proves I'm an idiot, I don't mind. So far, I'm not going to stop believing what I believe, but I've had to stop and think a few times.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Re: What is the point of all this arguing? [Re: Frog]
    #2208353 - 12/29/03 08:08 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

"If someone proves I'm an idiot, I don't mind. So far, I'm not going to stop believing what I believe, but I've had to stop and think a few times. "

as long as you stop sometimes it's all good.  you can't be proven to be an idiot IMHO so don't say stuff like that!!!  :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:  the fact you can see that one of your htoughts may not be correct shows that you aren't.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

InvisibleTrueBrode
Stranger

#2208579 - 12/29/03 10:36 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

ahh, nobody else sees it- alright then, go on wasting energy arguing about whether or not there is life after death or any type of god with the same conversation over and over:

"There must be a God, how could all this be here and mean nothing."
"Prove it, why does there have to be menaing to this."
"i can't prove it, I just know it in my heart."
"oh you're wrong then and just trying to comfort yourself."

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

#2208606 - 12/29/03 10:54 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

ok let's look at somehting

here's the subjects

signs and omens

what's the point of all this arguing

my hidden intent

conversation with god messageboard

clinton aide whatever

knowi g and memory

BIBLE code--there'sone for ya

Extra-terrestrials

double arrow of time

how can you not be a fundamentalist

internet flirtoing

power of now....

I don't see the same subjects coming up

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #2208683 - 12/29/03 11:42 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

The advance of Knowledge thrives on debate...

I couldn't live in a world where everyone agrees all the time with everything anyone says!

Besides, we have much more to learn from being wrong than being right :wink:

I say...let the arguments fly! (as long as they don't get too personal!)

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

Invisiblemedicinebag
Hunting

Loc: The land of The People
    #2208703 - 12/29/03 11:52 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I see it as well. It is useless to try to argue any points in the SandP. No one is going to budge, either way. Those that believe will still believe and there is nothing I can say to make a Non-believer, believe. I have chose the third option. Not to post what I believe in the SandP.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: What is the point of all this arguing? [Re: medicinebag]
    #2208722 - 12/30/03 12:02 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

and there is nothing I can say to make a Non-believer, believe

If you believe because you had an experience and another did not, then why should they?

If you believe and had no experience then you are basing your life on another' vision which may not be valid.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisiblemedicinebag
Hunting

Re: What is the point of all this arguing? [Re: Swami]
    #2208764 - 12/30/03 12:24 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Exactly, Swami, Exactly. Why should they? They won't. Hence, it is a waste of my time to post/convince anyone what I belive is true. As it would be a waste of your time to try to convince me that my visions were mere hallucinations brought on by a chemical imbalace.

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #2208797 - 12/30/03 12:43 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Why have any beliefs at all?

Why not just have ideas?

There's nothing wrong in posting an idea...because no one has to "believe" your idea! You have provided it simply as your point of view.

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: What is the point of all this arguing? [Re: trendal]
    #2208852 - 12/30/03 01:15 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I have beliefs, but I don't "believe" that anyone has to believe what I believe. I'm not here to convince anyone I'm right about anything.

But I also like to read about the beliefs others hold.

What I don't understand is why anyone thinks they are here to convince those that believe differently that they're "wrong". That's a little presumptious.

I mean, I think I'm right, but I'm not running around thumping people up against the backs of their heads trying to convince them that they're wrong. I'm just enjoying reading the POV of others.

Unfortunately, when I'm in heaven and y'all are in hell, I won't be able to read what y'all write any more.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2208905 - 12/30/03 01:54 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Unfortunately, when I'm in heaven and y'all are in hell, I won't be able to read what y'all write any more.

joking?

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: What is the point of all this arguing? [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2208914 - 12/30/03 02:00 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Of course I was joking!! Should I edit that out?? It was like a play on the theme of this thread, that we're all trying to prove we're "right". So, I'm saying that we can all have our POVs, but because I'm right, I'm going to heaven and those that don't believe the way I do are going to hell.

Is it really not clear that it's a joke??? I know, let's take a vote. Raise your hand if you think I should erase that part.

--------------------

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2208971 - 12/30/03 02:23 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Leave it, it's good stuff!

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Invisiblemedicinebag
Hunting

Re: What is the point of all this arguing? [Re: trendal]
    #2209115 - 12/30/03 04:25 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah there is. When someone posts an idea just for a debate is one thing but to post an idea to convert is another. I, personaly, don't care for a debate or a conversion. Maybe just a conversation is all I care for. A conversation without debate or conversion. Thats hard to do.

I have a Medicinebag Challenge for the S&P. We all can agree on one thing. None of us knows all of what is True. Can we agree that all of us knows a piece of truth? If so, could we piece the truth back together again? Like poor humpty dumpty?

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

#2209153 - 12/30/03 04:58 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

yeah!!!! I know only from me at least that I can't say what IS and what ISN'T and be 100% sure. and I don't think anyone else really can either. can they??

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology