Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecarfignewton
lost in my ownworld
Re: couldn't find straw, so I got hay... will hay work? [Re: micro]
    #2212047 - 12/31/03 02:27 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

first hay and straw are very differnt people .hay is alfalfa cut and baled to feed animals in the winter, straw is differnt types of grasses grown for the grain after they combine the grain heads its mowed and baled for bedding and such .they are not a like. alfalfa is a type of clover not a type of grass. i have a hole barn full of both so if yould like i could package up some of each so you can see the differnce, but id cost you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: couldn't find straw, so I got hay... will hay work? [Re: carfignewton]
    #2212074 - 12/31/03 02:44 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

carfignewton said
first hay and straw are very differnt people .hay is alfalfa cut and baled to feed animals in the winter, straw is differnt types of grasses grown for the grain....

From Michigan State University:

(The difference between straw and hay: )

http://cvm.msu.edu/courses/Lcs643/basics/sld027.htm

:smirk:

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

OfflineKentuckyPWRLFTR
Lifter of heavyobjects
Male

Loc: Mt. Olympus
    #2212776 - 01/01/04 01:44 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Interesting; at what stage of maturity is red clover harvested for straw? Fescue?

--------------------
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan a stately pleasure-dome decree...

"The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me."

OCD had rendered me completely insane and not believable.

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #2212822 - 01/01/04 02:31 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Yup. Hay and straw don't depict the type of grass, just when they were harvested. Hay is harvested first then it becomes "straw" after it seeds.

No, harvest of straw/hay is not strictly based on a time to each.

Farmers my south east cut off the top heads of wheat/barley when grown as a grain crop or as a stock hay, then come back within convenience to get the straw -- 2nd cut being stalks free of any seed heads. They flog that as stock bedding and some finds its way to be garden mulch for the cities. NSW (bigger than Texas) is wheat country, and exports in wheat is par the input to GDP of Oz. But hey, you can refer to the books/links ect and dismiss a real farmer aka carfignewton who has a barn full of hay (probably grows it himself on his land), not some mouldy bale on the side of the road you and a mate tried to snap. I live near plenty of farms, see it regular.

carfignewton is correct in what he says. For the record, Lucerne (Alfalfa as it's called in the US) is not a grass (family poaceae), it's a C3 and a legume. It's also a green plough and green manure crop, as well as a stock feed. Often grown over winter to replenish the land between warm season cropping.

Straw can be more than most people think. Sugar cane, i.e. as a mulch up in Queensland, or flogged as stock bedding, esp. for pigs in the tropics. Corn or even poppy (when ears 'n pods are removed) then slashed 'n shredded can be used as a straw mulch -- both grown commercially in Australia and recycled back onto the land. Same again with bamboo, that's commercially cropped in the sub-tropics to tropics of Oz.

If I had the kb's, I could show some farm opz in my locale. :smile:

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the Local Su...
Re: couldn't find straw, so I got hay... will hay work? [Re: carfignewton]
    #2215349 - 01/02/04 04:00 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Looks like I'm in the same predicament as most. I've been searching on and off for at least half a year now for some straw and to no avail. Started like most at the pet stores, gardening centers, went to feed stores and similar places even drove around in the "country."

Looks like all I could find was hay, one of which was costal hay. Is there any consensus on this, or is it just like the rest. I remember reading something about costal hay being ok to use but I may have misread.

I have even looked online, sent many suppliers emails but most can't ship it. Generally, they have to send a truck, which requires a minimum of *** number of bales to purchase. Does anyone know where I may be able to find some online, single bales at a time. I'd rather not buy any from our lovely vendors at $15 + shipping per mini bale.

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the Local Su...
Re: couldn't find straw, so I got hay... will hay work? [Re: ExtravagantDream]
    #2219565 - 01/05/04 01:14 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

What about Bermuda straw?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate