Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
my hidden intent.
    #2205688 - 12/28/03 12:53 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

intent, what directs my actions to a certain place or person? what DRIVES me to do what I do? intent also implies an internal design or a purpose.

I can go to a light and turn right if I wanted to, but instead I will turn left. does that mean I intended to turn left, or does that mean that situation outsides of me (say traffic for instance) "guided" me to go left. well I still could have went to traffic, but i didn't want to.

what's all this about? can we control our intentions? or are our intentions a direct result of the things and events around us? is intent directly from the mind or is it a result of events ourside of it?

why is it that many people I know of don't question why they do what they do? or what drives them to do the things they do. not even wanting to know, but rather they just take action. is "just taking action" really involve intent??

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: my hidden intent. [Re: kaiowas]
    #2205863 - 12/28/03 03:08 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

kaiowas said:
I can go to a light and turn right if I wanted to, but instead I will turn left. does that mean I intended to turn left, or does that mean that situation outsides of me (say traffic for instance) "guided" me to go left. well I still could have went to traffic, but i didn't want to.

It's either influence from an outside source, or it's a random chance. I don't usually believe in accidents, however. I believe most things happen for a reason. (Shhh...don't tell Swami!)

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
Re: my hidden intent. [Re: Frog]
    #2206062 - 12/28/03 05:08 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Outside source, random chance, or some sub- or unconscious intention.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: my hidden intent. [Re: Alan Stone]
    #2206104 - 12/28/03 05:30 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, I agree.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2206401 - 12/28/03 09:00 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

hooray - another free-will inquiry :smile:

I'll tell you that I have no clue what "guides" us other than DNA, chemistry, and fundamental physics

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: my hidden intent. [Re: Strumpling]
    #2206435 - 12/28/03 09:45 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Oh, no, haven't you heard?? We are flies holding the reigns from the behind of a run-away horse. There's is no such thing as free will.

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #2206526 - 12/28/03 10:58 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, I've heard.. I don't believe in free-will....

I'll ask you though; what's guiding the horse?

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

Edited by Strumpling (12/28/03 11:00 PM)

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #2206753 - 12/29/03 01:35 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Frog: It's either influence from an outside source, or it's a random chance.

No. This is a false dilemma.

Beliefs suck. God hates you. Sclorch out.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineVort3x
Inside My Mind
Loc: Somewhere between Insanit...
    #2206760 - 12/29/03 01:39 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

There are only 2 reasons for doing what we do. To gain pleasure or to avoid pain or both.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: my hidden intent. [Re: Vort3x]
    #2206802 - 12/29/03 01:57 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Vort3x: There are only 2 reasons for doing what we do. To gain pleasure or to avoid pain or both.

Damn... what's with all the false dilemmas here?

I completely disagree with you. The Yeti is actually capable of acting outside that primal sphere. The duality of pleasure and pain is for pinks, glorps, and conspiracists... of which I am not one of.

--------------------

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: my hidden intent. [Re: Sclorch]
    #2206811 - 12/29/03 02:02 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

do things for no apparent reason

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: my hidden intent. [Re: infidelGOD]
    #2206822 - 12/29/03 02:08 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I do things for no apparent reason all the time.

And don't pull that "but maybe you just can't see the reason" crap....

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: my hidden intent. [Re: Sclorch]
    #2206831 - 12/29/03 02:11 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I've gotta agree with Sclorch here - I don't think we're ONLY out for pleasure or to avoid pain at all times.....

hell there's some people that take pleasure in pain, and take pain from pleasure so I'm not sure if this holds up

--------------------

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #2206853 - 12/29/03 02:29 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

sometimes I'm walking down the street and I just STOP.
why? I don't know.. no good reason for it. I just do it to see if I can. to confirm that I'm still in control. "why am I here when I should be there?" and then I think "no wait, I was meant to stop right here at this time in this place. I'm not really in control at all. I had NO CHOICE but to stop, RIGHT HERE. it was all meant to be."
and the trap is sprung...

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2207227 - 12/29/03 07:19 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Strumpling said:
Yes, I've heard.. I don't believe in free-will....

I'll ask you though; what's guiding the horse?

That's the problem, in my opinion. NOTHING is guiding the horse! It's going where it wants to go! The fly THINKS it's operating the horse, but the fly is going to go where the horse is going and THINK that the fly got there on its own free will!

I quoted this once before:

Baron Paul Henri d Holbach (1723-1789) (a hard determinist) compared humans on the earth to the fly in an ancient fable:

Quote:

* ?The fly in a fable?: D?Holbach tells the story of the fly, who alights on a large carriage (coach) being pulled by horses. The fly begins to think that it (the fly) is determining where the carriage will go.

* Humans on the earth are comparable to the fly, according to d?Holbach

* Both (fly and human) think they are free, but they are not free? because there are forces that determine what they do.

Personally, I don't buy this. This means that because of the way the Universe works, even if we think we are making choices, none of our choices matter because we are not in control. We "think" we are making choices, but those choices were predetermined by the Universe.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: my hidden intent. [Re: infidelGOD]
    #2207230 - 12/29/03 07:21 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

infidelGOD said:
sometimes I'm walking down the street and I just STOP.
why? I don't know.. no good reason for it. I just do it to see if I can. to confirm that I'm still in control. "why am I here when I should be there?" and then I think "no wait, I was meant to stop right here at this time in this place. I'm not really in control at all. I had NO CHOICE but to stop, RIGHT HERE. it was all meant to be."
and the trap is sprung...

Yes, well, that's just so that you think you are in control. How about the big things? Marriage? Children? Career?

--------------------

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #2207252 - 12/29/03 07:53 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you deal with it.

I believe in Fate, and that everything DOES happen for a reason. In the BIGGER picture, everything orchestrates with life, the musical notes and symphony of life is already written out...but, the free will--still exists. Your mother dies in a car accident, its up to YOU how to deal with it. You get fired from your job, its up to YOU what you learn from it, and how you cope with it. You win the 22 Billion dollar Lottery, its up to YOU how you take it, and deal with it.
YOU control how you learn, deal and experience, your own experiences, which you chose to go through long before you ever incarnated into this lifetime.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #2207329 - 12/29/03 08:49 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Intent's a funny old thing. One time when I was tripping I got all hung up about intent - specifically "where it comes from". I would lift up a cup, and wonder where the thought "pick up the cup" came from. It seemed like it came from nothing. But how could that be? How could I go from thinking about nothing to thinking about picking up a cup? There's no causal link. Speech is a good example. I started saying random words out loud and wondering where the idea to say them came from. I figured that intent is complete unto itself. You "summon it into existence" out of nothing. I suppose that's how language came about in the first place.

Sorry, just thinking out loud.

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #2208104 - 12/29/03 04:00 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

"NOTHING is guiding the horse! It's going where it wants to go!"

Well that implies some type of "free-will," Frog. Haven't you heard? There's no such thing :cool:

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2208146 - 12/29/03 04:20 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

No, Strumpling!!! Um, let me think a minute...

Okay, the horse can't help running wild! That's its destiny, too!!!

Or something like that...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom