Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineVort3x
Inside My Mind
Loc: Somewhere between Insanit...
the power of now
    #2206779 - 12/29/03 03:47 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Everything we do revolves around time, but there are 2 types of time. Clock time which is necessary for organization and preventing mistakes from our past. But the other type, psychological time, is the cause of all problems and suffering.----concept from The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle----

We have to come to understand our role as the creators of our own pain;
Our own mind causes our problems, not other people or anything external.

All negativity is caused by a build up of psychological time and denial of the present. Unease, anxiety, tension, stress, worry-all forms of fear- is caused by too much future, and not enough presence. Guilt, regret, resentment, sadness, bitterness, and all forms of nonforgiveness are caused by too much past and not enough presence.

Most people find it difficult to believe that a state of consciousness totally free of all negativity is possible. And yet this is the liberated state to which all spiritual teachings point. It is the promise of salvation, not in an illusory future but right here and now.

You may find it hard to recognize that time is the cause of your suffering or your problems. You believe that they are caused by specific situations in your life, and seen from a conventional viewpoint, this is true. But until you have dealt with the basic problem-making dysfunction of the mind-its attachment to past and future and denial of the Now- problems are actually interchangeable. If all your problems or perceived causes of suffering or unhappiness were miraculously removed for you today, but you had not become more present, more conscious, you would soon find yourself with a similar set of problems or causes of suffering. Ultimately, there is only one problem: the time-bound mind itself.

Focus your attention on the Now and realize it is impossible to have a problem while fully in the Now. All situations either need to be dealt with or accepted, but why make it into a problem? The mind unconsciously loves problems because they give you an identity of sorts. Why carry in your mind the insane burden of a hundred things that you will or may have to do in the future or what you could have done in the past, instead of focusing your attention on the one thing that you can do now.

When you are aware of the Now, you are getting rid of the insane mind that is draining you of your life energy, just as it is slowly destroying the earth.

Time and mind are inseparable. Remove time from the mind and it stops-unless you choose to use it!

To be identified with your mind means you believe you are your thoughts and emotions.
When you recognize that there is a voice in your head that pretends to be you and never stops speaking, you are awakening out of your unconscious identification with the stream of thinking. When you notice that voice, you realize that who you are is not the voice--the thinker--but the one who is aware of it.

To be identified with the mind is to be trapped in time: the compulsion to live almost exclusively through memory and anticipation. This creates an endless preoccupation with past and future and an unwillingness to honor and acknowledge the present moment and allow it to be. The compulsion arises because the past gives you an identity and the future holds the promise of salvation, of fulfillment in whatever form. Both are illusions.

The more you are focused on time-the past and future- the more you miss the now, the most important thing there is. Why is it the most important thing? Firstly, because it is the only thing there is. The eternal present is the space within which your whole life unfolds, the one factor that remains constant. Life is now. There was never a time when your life was not now, nor will there ever be. Secondly, the now is the only point that can take you beyond the limited confines of the mind. It is your only point of access into the timeless and formless realm of Being.

For most things in life, you need time: to learn a new skill, build a house, meet deadlines, however time is useless, for the most essential thing in life, the one thing that really matters: self-realization, which means knowing who you are beyond the surface self- beyond your name, your physical form, your history, your story.

You cannot find yourself in the past or future. The only place where you can find yourself is in the Now.

Do you really need to mentally label every sense perception and experience? Do you really need to have a reactive like/dislike relationship with life where you are in almost continuous conflict with situations and people? Or is that just a deep-seated mental habit that can be broken? Not by doing anything, but by allowing this moment to be as it is.

When you completely accept this moment, and when you no longer argue with what is, the compulsion to think lessens and is replaced by an alert stillness. You are fully conscious, yet the mind is not labeling this moment in any way. This state of inner non-resistance opens you to the unconditioned consciousness that is infinitely greater than the human mind. This great intelligence, your Being, can then express itself through you and assist you, both from within and from without.

I am not saying you have to enjoy the present moment and be happy. Just allow it to be and accept it, that?s enough.

Nothing ever happened in the past; it happened in the Now. Nothing will ever happen in the future, it will happen in the Now. What you think of as the past is a memory trace, stored in the mind, of a former Now. The future is an imagined Now, a projection of the mind. The past and future are only pale reflections of the power and reality of the eternal present.

To be free of time is to be free of the psychological need of the past for your identity and future for your fulfillment.

If you don?t understand what I am saying you are trying to understand it mentally, you cannot understand Being with your mind you can only feel it from within.
The moment you grasp what I am saying there is a shift in consciousness from mind to Being, from time to presence.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: the power of now [Re: Vort3x]
    #2206788 - 12/29/03 03:52 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Damn... I thought this was about women's lib...

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2206796 - 12/29/03 03:55 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Here's one thing I object with:

"Our own mind causes our problems, not other people or anything external."

I think the environment has at least a 50% role in creating "our own mind."

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: the power of now [Re: Strumpling]
    #2206804 - 12/29/03 03:59 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I think the environment has at least a 50% role in creating "our own mind."

Please cite your sources. Thank you.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: the power of now [Re: Sclorch]
    #2206814 - 12/29/03 04:04 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

well first of all, my parents had sex......

beyond that, there is no doubt that somebody being raised in Tel Aviv is going to be way different than somebody being raised in Beverly Hills, CA, even if they were somehow twins :wink:

They could be identical twins, but their minds would be made differently due to different experiences. We are products of our environment, and our environments leave marks with us.

edit: and anyway, you saw the "i think." rofl sources? look at how different everybody is, yet still human

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (12/29/03 04:07 AM)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2207144 - 12/29/03 07:41 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Okay, yes, every action that has ever occured in this existance makes you who you are right now. It couldn't be any other way.

And ja, your surrounding is going to shape you. But this isn't what this is about.

You can become aware and then start to create yourself. Of course, it was your environment that brought you to this and everything, but I mean, it is all mental programming. And programs can be rewritten.

I for the most part agree with what you posted, Vort3x. I highly recommend Handbook to Higher Consciousness, by Ken Keyes, it focuses on a lot of the same stuff but goes more into addictions and preferences, and really gives a guide on how to make these changes...

Your environment can bring you to a point where you are aware of how your mind works and how you can go about changing it, especially to live in the moment and be content and to discover a new sort of aware intelligence.

The way we are raised, the way we observed the world when we are young and hadn't yet developed a really deep understanding of the situation we are in and how things work, and most never even break free of the illusions that we are instilled with in order to survive anyways, to make it a point where we will finally realize what this is all about and will live in a higher state of mind...

*shrugs* It ends up coming down to just being aware and alive, being conscious of the moment and knowing what and who you are and where we are...
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2207206 - 12/29/03 09:01 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think it's so much the "personality" we develop due to the location where we are born and/or raised, but the mindset we develop for dealing with life.

I agree with the article or book cited by the creator of this thread, to an extent. It is not so much the problems in our lives that create problems, but how we perceive those problems. Time has something to do with it, but I don't think Time is the be-all of problems.

It is our mind-set that affects how we deal with problems from the past. Not very many people, though, are strong enough, on their own, to let go of the past.

And not many people are able to let go of the worries of tomorrow. I don't know how non-Christians believe, but as a non-Christian I believe that tomorrow is aleady taken care of and I don't have to worry, so I don't.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: the power of now [Re: Frog]
    #2207209 - 12/29/03 09:04 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Frog said:
I don't think it's so much the "personality" we develop due to the location where we are born and/or raised, but the mindset we develop for dealing with life. 

Every single thing that has ever happened has led up to this moment, has created this moment. If you were to go back to the beginning and move a rock, I'd suspect that it just could turn every one of us into hippies.  :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: the power of now [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2207217 - 12/29/03 09:09 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

What I meant was the book isn't talking about our personalities, but our past and future. Everyone has problems, and everyone deals with those problems based on how they were raised and their environment. But forget about the personality for purposes of the book that was mentioned. He's just talking about past and future problems that cause problems.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2207266 - 12/29/03 10:03 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

"We have to come to understand our role as the creators of our own pain;
Our own mind causes our problems, not other people or anything external."

problem-any question or matter involving doubt, uncertainty, or difficulty.

so for instance, my tire blows out, it's a problem. did my mind create the blow out??? Now I agree that the mind controls how much I dwell on the blowout, but not the actual blowout itself.

"Focus your attention on the Now and realize it is impossible to have a problem while fully in the Now. All situations either need to be dealt with or accepted, but why make it into a problem? The mind unconsciously loves problems because they give you an identity of sorts. Why carry in your mind the insane burden of a hundred things that you will or may have to do in the future or what you could have done in the past, instead of focusing your attention on the one thing that you can do now."

things will come up, that will seem difficult. someone may pick a fight with you, this is a problem, and yes the fight is in the "here and now". I don't think the issue of problems but rather how well the mind deals with the problem at hand.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #2207287 - 12/29/03 10:22 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

WHAT Time IS IT?
In our clock-studded society, the answer is never more than a glance away...The elusive infinitesimal of "now" dissolves into a scattering flock of nanoseconds. Bound by the speed of light and the velocity of nerve impulses, our perceptions of the present sketch the world as it was an instant ago-for all that our consciousness pretends otherwise, we can never catch up...even in principle, perfect synchronicity escapes us. Like strange syrup, Time flows slower on moving trains than in the stations and faster in the mountains than in the valleys.
Our intuitions are deeply paradoxical. Time heals all wounds, but it is also the great destroyer. Time is relative, but also relentless. There is Time for every purpose under heaven, but there is never enough. Time flies, crawls and races. Seconds can be both split and stretched. Like the tide, Time waits for no man, but in dramatic moments it also stands still. It is as personal as the pace of one's heartbeat but as public as the clock tower in the town square. Time is money...it is the partner of change, the antagonist of speed, the currency in which we pay attention. It is our most precious, irreplaceable commodity. Yet still we say we don't know where it goes, and we sleep away a third of it, and none of us can account for how much we have left. Time is the barrier between our life, and the inevitable event of our death, which steadily diminishes in relentless waves of attoseconds...Time and memory shape our perceptions of our own identity. We may feel ourselves to be at history's mercy, but we also see ourselves as free-willed agents of the future. Time is a dimension like those of space...yesterday, today and tomorrow are all equally concrete and determined. The future exists as much as the past does; it is just in a place that we have not yet visited. Time is the substance from which we are made...Time is a river which carries us along, but we are the river...Time is a Tiger that devours us, but we are the Tiger...Time is the fire that consumes us...but we are the fire....

Okay fuck this, it's time for me to get a frickin watch already...

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
Re: the power of now [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2208608 - 12/29/03 10:54 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

> I think the environment has at least a 50% role in creating "our own mind

I think our own mind creats our enviroment from birth, Born in the right body made for our mind and in the right place for our body. Karmic stuff but i guess we get the chance to change our minds for the better.

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny
Re: the power of now [Re: EvilGir]
    #2208911 - 12/30/03 01:58 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i've always wanted to write a book called don't be here now.

i think using the concept of now is useful, but is just a tool and not an end pyschological goal (i.e. staying in the present)

just in my own experiance, now is a good time to reprogram you mind, but not now is a good time to get stuff done.
personally i feel not being in the now is the "stronger" of the two in terms of fufillment. the less... restrained you are by what is going on the better.

not to mention that to those who believe things don't happen in the future or past, i would beg to differ, and i'm sure poeple who can operate in the objective past and future from thier current time frame would disagree.
oh wait that would be me also. don't feel like going into it.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

OfflineXFaithman
The Dude
Loc: MidWest America ~Good Ol'...
Re: the power of now [Re: truekimbo2]
    #2209064 - 12/30/03 03:40 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Living in the now?

For me, this involves high awareness and true caring for what is going on around me. Giving attention to my self and others attempts to be human in this life. I do feel like a control freak sometimes when I care so much about my situation that I take the ?bull by the horns? to lead it to a more comfortable state of being? when spirits get doubtful, everyone could use a little guidance sometimes.

Though being aware of my own best interests may get things done, self awareness is only the first step to ?living in the now?. The next challenge is to know what is in the best interests of the people around me. You could reason that it?s for the benefit of you, in that, if their happy ~ your happy; but don?t lose track of who your trying to entertain, (you or Them).

I think a lot about theory of people in our society. I like it, I think the questions are fun to ponder and take pokes at. It?s mind stretching truly. It?s meant more for stretching than it is dwelling but keep your beliefs in mind years from now and reflect on the growth. Anyway, one of my favorite theory?s that has been developed is the idea of Group theory. It proves that doing what is best for you and what is best for the group is the most optimum state. I often look at the balance between the selfishness and righteousness I maintain in my everyday life. I think its interesting anyway...

XFaith
?I take my thrills where I can get them and guarantee nothing to followers but fun.?

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: the power of now [Re: XFaithman]
    #2209508 - 12/30/03 08:58 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

the power of NOW!!! (shhh--crkkk-bAaAAM!)

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology