Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Internet Flirting
    #2206251 - 12/28/03 08:38 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Is adultery or cheating merely in the act or also in the thought? (Christians know Jesus take on this!)

If you are in a commited relationship is it immoral/unethical to be sexually flirtatious over the internet? Is it OK because distance and anonymity generally precludes follow-through or is this the beginning of a dangerous crack in the relationship?

Even if not considered unethical, does it make a statement about a severe lack of genuine intimacy in the relationship, is it emotional immaturity or just plain ole good fun?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Internet Flirting [Re: Swami]
    #2206270 - 12/28/03 08:53 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

The way I see it is if your significant other is ok with it, then it's not cheating. I personally wouldn't do it, but some people may see nothing wrong with flirting on the internet when they're in a relationship. I think that cheating in the mind(fantasizing about someone else) is probably unavoidable. I'd just worry about the physical act of cheating, as well as emotional cheating(falling in love with someone else).

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleTrueBrode
Stranger

#2206283 - 12/28/03 09:01 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

i'm sure some cosmo mag probably has a good article on this

InvisibleArmFromTheAbyss
Old Hand

Loc: Down here in Babylon
    #2206311 - 12/28/03 09:38 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Over the internet is fine, I mean, it's not personal.

However, I see girls in relationships flirt all the time... at least first hand, with me. Might have something to do with my horny age group.  :smirk: :grin:
But I can't say for guys, being one...personally, I wouldn't really flirt with another girl if I was in a relationship. That would mean I was looking for others... to get out of the relationship.

I guess girls are always looking for a lifeline. This is consitent with their behavior... but I hate to make generlizations about the opposite sex.

I think online, the girl in the relationship flirting  boosts the ego of the guy who feels secure enough in the relationship... therefore it's fine because he's the man and it's not supposed to affect him if the girl ends up with some guy online she's flirting with.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2206321 - 12/28/03 09:42 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
Is adultery or cheating merely in the act or also in the thought? (Christians know Jesus take on this!)

Both. *gulp*

Quote:

If you are in a commited relationship is it immoral/unethical to be sexually flirtatious over the internet? Is it OK because distance and anonymity generally precludes follow-through or is this the beginning of a dangerous crack in the relationship?

I think it depends on the degree to which one is flirtatious. More than "friendly" but less than "sexually firtatious" isn't bad, is it?

Actually, I've had this talk with someone recently. I think that even mildly flirtatious talk is probably wrong. It interferes with the existing relationship, even if you don't intend to carry the "internet" relationship any further than just "mildly flirtatious" chatting. It can possibly lead to a breach of trust in the existing pre-existing relationship.

Quote:

Even if not considered unethical, does it make a statement about a severe lack of genuine intimacy in the relationship, is it emotional immaturity or just plain ole good fun?

If the party who is engaged in the pre-existing relationship apprises the other internet party of the pre-existing relationship, and maintains propriety, I would think there would not be any harm, except there is still the risk as mentioned above.

I am probably FOS, because something else comes to mind. Would I share any "flirtatious" emails or PMs with my SO? If not, then it's wrong. If so, and it's okay with him, then it's alright.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Internet Flirting [Re: Frog]
    #2206367 - 12/28/03 10:27 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Would I share any "flirtatious" emails or PMs with my SO?

Whoa! Public confession time. Everyone would like to know who the mystery flirtee is... Come on, spill!  :eyemouth:

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2206378 - 12/28/03 10:39 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Saying 'any "flirtatious" emails' doesn't mean there were flirtatious emails. "Any" can mean some, or none.

And if anyone on this forum has received any flirtatious PMs or emails from me, please step forward! (Unless your wife, of course, also belongs to this forum, then I shall understand if you withhold.)

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2206395 - 12/28/03 10:53 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Nice sidestep. You are learning the fine art of semantics.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2206429 - 12/28/03 11:37 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
Nice sidestep. You are learning the fine art of semantics.

I can also do a nice two-step. Wanna see?

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #2206721 - 12/29/03 03:23 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Swami: If you are in a commited relationship is it immoral/unethical to be sexually flirtatious over the internet?

As I hold a rather pragmatic perspective, I really couldn't give two shits about talk/chat/whatever. Action is what matters. Now, if this talk/chat/webcamming/whatever affects the "offender's" personality/character/disposition/whatever in a manner that seriously damages their current relationship... that's when you have to worry about shit.
"Shit" being
1. Status of relationship. Married? Engaged? Serious? Just a fling?
2. Do you already want out?
3. Are children involved?
4. Content of the internet correspondence. Was it merely playful? Are you making plans for meeting in real life?

But, more concisely... probably not.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2207123 - 12/29/03 06:53 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Frog said:
And if anyone on this forum has received any flirtatious PMs or emails from me, please step forward! 

No comment. :grin:

Seriously, though, this is a touchy subject. Its more of an emotional thing, I guess, than a logical thing.. hmm..

I think it comes down to intentions and what you share with the one you love. I am not one to hold anything back regarding that, and I really don't see a problem with regarding someone else as interesting and saying a few things.. I mean, what it comes down to is where your  :heart: lies. If there is some sort of connection with the one you love, I think it is best to clear all the uncessary issues out that prevent you two from really enjoying being together...

Does it really hurt to say something to or about someone that holds interest to you? I mean, obviously, it can, but if you and your special someone understand each other and are open, and there really isn't and harm or intent in the flirting, should it matter?

Definitely a tricky subject, very emotional stuff... I say we all smoke a  :spliff: and relax.  :stoned:
:grin:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Internet Flirting [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2207248 - 12/29/03 09:48 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:If there is some sort of connection with the one you love, I think it is best to clear all the uncessary issues out that prevent you two from really enjoying being together...

This goes back to what we were talking about on the "liar, liar" thread. Probably anything that interferes with the harmony of the relationship would not be a good thing.

Quote:

Does it really hurt to say something to or about someone that holds interest to you? I mean, obviously, it can, but if you and your special someone understand each other and are open, and there really isn't and harm or intent in the flirting, should it matter?

But people DO get attached to others over the internet. Maybe it can only be approved on a case-by-case basis. If someone can prevent it from going too far, no problem, and that will only happen with mature people, as someone else stated.

For example, what about the housewife who is bored and thinks she doesn't get what she needs from her husband? Instead of counseling, she finds an easy fix on the internet that interferes with a marriage that might otherwise have been salvaged.

Shall we set up the "internet police" so we can monitor these people?

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2207340 - 12/29/03 11:00 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I accidentally got a woman pregant over the internet. I should have put protective film on my screen...

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#2207403 - 12/29/03 11:47 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Frog said:
This goes back to what we were talking about on the "liar, liar" thread. Probably anything that interferes with the harmony of the relationship would not be a good thing.

What I am talking about is working through these "problems" that interfere with the harmony of the relationship. There are a lot of trivial things that we tend to make into problems. I think it is important to find out why these things are problems and if they really should be instead of just running a relationship through a whole bunch of filters that cut off the connection.
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#2207405 - 12/29/03 11:48 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
I accidentally got a woman pregant over the internet. I should have put protective film on my screen...

Nah, it was her responsibility to tie her cable connection, or at least use a firewall.  :smirk:
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2207431 - 12/29/03 12:12 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Okay, I was just thinking about this some more. If someone is on the internet flirting, that person is probably unfulfilled in his/her existing relationship, and should either fix the relationship or get out. How's that?

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#2207439 - 12/29/03 12:19 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Frog said:
Okay, I was just thinking about this some more.  If someone is on the internet flirting,  that person is probably unfulfilled in his/her existing relationship, and should either fix the relationship or get out.  How's that?

But what the person isn't flirting because he is unfufilled? Maybe it is one's form of humour? See, this is the thing.

I mean, how much fufillment would one look to find from flirting with someone on the internet anyways?  :grin:

It all depends on what is going on in the mind. As long as you are completely honest and open with your partner, then what is the problem?
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2207450 - 12/29/03 12:25 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I wasn't seeing it from that perspective at this moment, but you're right, that is another perspective. I think that is the one I originally started with, that if it's just for fun, and if you're up front with the person with whom you are flirting that you are otherwise-involved, what's the harm? But of course I didn't think about telling your SO about it.

What do you say? "Oh, btw, hon, I'm flirting with someone on the 'net, but it's just in fun, so don't worry."

Hmmm.

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#2207479 - 12/29/03 12:39 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Frog said:
But of course I didn't think about telling your SO about it.

What do you say?  "Oh, btw, hon, I'm flirting with someone on the 'net, but it's just in fun, so don't worry."

So, love, when's your knock-off time?  :loveeyes:

:grin: That I could not resist. hehehe

Well, I mean, if it ever came up, I mean, communicate... it is rough at times, but as long as there actually isn't a problem there (you are actually unfufilled or that you are actually starting to have feelings for this person or whatnot, well, if any of this is true, it should definitely be brought up as its own topic anyways), then there isn't any real harm in it, unless the other is someone who just won't communicate or accept things, which is another problem in itself yet again.....

Like I said, it is mostly emotional, and you are not only dealing with the way that ONE person's head works, but two of them, and not only that, but they are interacting as well.... life is like that (still listening to TOOL, by the way :grin:)
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

#2208631 - 12/29/03 11:14 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

It depends on your SO, and on you.

I know I've flirted with people before with absolutely no intentions or ideas of anything behind it. Cute girl, friendly person, there'll be a bit of friendly flirting.. things just go there, it's funny, whatever.
some people would be upset with me for that, for no good reason. and some people would be upset with their SO for that.. for good reason.

actions speak louder than words, there's no single all-inclusive rule to apply to every situation..

--------------------
i finally got around to making a sig
revel in its glory and quake in fear at its might
grar.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology