Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineblueora
Stranger
id help plz
    #2203077 - 12/27/03 01:18 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

first off, sory for the lack of detail in the pics..

1:found these in a forest near me, cows roam around in it, since the forst is based in a v large area where people walk ther dogs n such..its actualy an old airbase field.  found them on wet soggy wood, which was lying on the ground on soggy leaves, cow dung, n yea, picture it. cant be that hard

2: cap is a creamy colour, its flat with age, but v much bell shaped in its early life. bruising al round the edges..blak bruising not blue. measures 2 1/2 inches accross. this specimen is dried.

3: stem is very bruised in middle,dark colour again not blue.. orginaly the stem was white tho, or creamy colour, from wot i can se at the bottom of the stem, its a lite colour cream, almost white. also the stem is hollow, and thin. measures bout 4 inches in lengh.

4: origin is ENGLAND, south.

5:date picked is middle december.

6: spore print color is chocolatey brown

7: scent.. hmm, jus a normal mushroomy smell,  :tongue:

iv dun my best at detailing them, and reli wuld appreciate sum help if any1 culd, cheers

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: id help plz [Re: blueora]
    #2203154 - 12/27/03 02:21 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I see you decided to try again. Much better job this time, and you've even made a good effort to give us all the info we need. The responses should be correspondingly better.

Those mushrooms are not in the best of shape, which makes things a bit tougher.

My initial reaction is to say they're Agrocybes, close to Agrocybe pediades. Not active, not worth eating, not poisonous.

Happy mushrooming!

Offlineblueora
Stranger
Re: id help plz [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2203247 - 12/27/03 03:09 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

yea..ahem

ok how bout these,

caps: very small, size of ya middle fingers nail.. yelow with a browning to the sides, thru drying process..

stems: very short.. yelowy cream.. with a brown circle near the top, hollow

gills: close tgetha, creamy coloured, attached.

found these on damp earth, next to a road, whilst walkin to a nearby forest.

any clue wot they may be?

..again sory the detail aint that gud..

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: id help plz [Re: blueora]
    #2203666 - 12/27/03 11:01 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

My first thought on those is that they're a different species of Agrocybe, but they could be Galerinas. Galerina includes some deadly poisonous species, so they should never be eaten. If Agrocybe, there are several different species they could be - we need to examine them with a microscope to decide which.

Spore print color is *very* important in identifying mushrooms. You need to get in the habit of making a spore print on any unknown mushroom - do them on white paper.

It would also be good for you to learn the names of the parts. For example, I'm guessing that "a brown circle near the top" on the stem refers to a ring.

When showing us photographs, we usually need to see the underside of the mushroom more than the top. With many mushrooms, details on the stem are very important.

Another thing to do is cut one in half vertically. First, it shows you how the gills are attached to the stem. Second, try scraping one of the halves insides with your knife hard enough to bruise it and watch for color changes which can take up to an hour.

Adding new species onto an existing thread as you've done here makes it more unlikely that your thread will get looked and and responded to.

Finally, you might want to make a bit more effort on spelling. In forums like Off Topic Discussion nobody cares about spelling, but in others (this one is an example) poor spelling comes off more like a troll or an underage AOLer, neither of which will get good responses.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification