Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePedM
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
For World Peace
    #2200861 - 12/25/03 01:06 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Wishing us all complete happiness and harmony as 2003 ushers us into the New Year. May our peace grow where it has not yet grown, and where it has grown may it never diminish. May their be equanimity among our friends, family, and all those we encounter in 2004. May none of us be separated from our happiness.

With much Love & Celebration.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: For World Peace [Re: Ped]
    #2200876 - 12/25/03 01:17 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Peace really kicks ass. We should all find it within ourselves and live within it, thereby spreading it to others.... :mushroom2:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: For World Peace [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2200897 - 12/25/03 02:02 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah I agree, we should kick anyone's ass who is not into peace.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: For World Peace [Re: Swami]
    #2200916 - 12/25/03 02:34 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
Yeah I agree, we should kick anyone's ass who is not into peace.

Ja, no doubt, when I find someone who isn't acting peaceful it just makes me so fucking angry! I always try to find their cats, then I skin them gruesomely, then eat them! Then I scream for hours! Act peaceful or die, damn it!  :mad2:

:grin:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #2200929 - 12/25/03 02:50 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

*yawn* Lots of beautiful words we all speak but never really live up to them. I know you mean well but c'mon, this happy wishing for world peace has been said for thousands of years and yet we are still violent, greedy, incompassionate etc etc. First let's admit our faults and flaws and accept them for what they are, maybe then we can move on and learn to love each other and our earth.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: For World Peace [Re: chodamunky]
    #2200933 - 12/25/03 02:56 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2200945 - 12/25/03 03:11 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

chodamunky said:
*yawn* Lots of beautiful words we all speak but never really live up to them. I know you mean well but c'mon, this happy wishing for world peace has been said for thousands of years and yet we are still violent, greedy, incompassionate etc etc. First let's admit our faults and flaws and accept them for what they are, maybe then we can move on and learn to love each other and our earth.

There are those who speak the words and mean them and live them. There are those who speak the words, but the words are not meant, or there are underlying ulterior motives.

I think it's still nice to hear the words because it reminds me that there are in fact others like me who wish for peace, and there is hope that perhaps someone who has not previously opted for peace will change his/her mind.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflinePedM
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2201068 - 12/25/03 05:16 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

>> First let's admit our faults and flaws and accept them for what they are

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:

OfflineEntelle
wanderer

#2201101 - 12/25/03 05:42 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

its nice to hear those words..., and good to remember them...
think of those protests, where a bunch of people would just lie on the road, in the way of the logging trucks. get enough people, and the trucks, infinatly bigger and stronger, will stop. then the police come.... not a perfect example.
think instead of those younger siblings or cousins. they lie down, or cling to your ankles stubbornly, and you can still walk, but its harder, and what if another one comes? then you might have to tickle them till they let go, but they come back, and then you will get tired of ticling them eventually. so, if enough of us peace-niks cling to ankles, notice will be taken....

--------------------
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

#2201199 - 12/25/03 07:50 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Went out to those huge Iraq War protests.  Didnt stop the war, but let the world know there are still millions of people who believe in and are willing to stand up for peace.  I thought that was awesome, and am happy to have been a part of it. :sun:

speaking of Jack Handy:
"In a war, instead of throwing a grenade at some guys, why not throw one of those miniature pineapples?  When they pick it up, they will stop to think about how pointless war is.  Then, you can throw a real grenade at them."

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

OfflineShizpow
Street Samurai

Loc: Oregon
Re: For World Peace [Re: pattern]
    #2201733 - 12/26/03 06:59 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

There may well be millions of people willing to stand up for peace, as an abstract anyway. But until there are enough people on board to actually DO something to improve the third world's living conditions and stop the ever increasing margin of wealth between the rich and the poor, then to talk of peace is a tasteless joke.

It's really easy to be all for peace when you live in a good country that's mostly peaceful anyway. It's quite a bit harder when you live in a war ravaged shithole and get no help from anyone...just a bunch of upper middle class white people wishing you good luck, showing you in the form of umpteen million candlelight vigils that they "support your cause," whatever the fuck that means, and displaying their displeasure with the President in the form of scolding posterboard and crayon picket signs. Giving someone a pat on the back and the thumbs up from 6000 miles away when their house has just been shelled and their family killed is not a help...it's an insult.

As long as greed is around, war will be around. And greed isn't leaving anytime soon, so the best thing you can do to help the people that need your help is to do your part to hurt the greedy. And you're not going to win them over and melt their stone cold hearts by showing them the errors of their ways and appealing to their good christian American natures either.

I'm not trying to say that world peace and harmony is a bad goal...I think it'd be great. It's just that it can never happen, and the sooner you realize that, the less you'll be disheartened and surprised when the next war breaks out somewhere in a week or two.

--------------------
If you cut a face lengthwise, urinate on it, and trample on it with straw sandles, it is said that the skin will come off. This was heard by the priest Gyojaku when he was in Kyoto. It is information to be treasured.

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Re: For World Peace [Re: Shizpow]
    #2202164 - 12/26/03 02:29 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

There may well be millions of people willing to stand up for peace, as an abstract anyway. But until there are enough people on board to actually DO something to improve the third world's living conditions and stop the ever increasing margin of wealth between the rich and the poor, then to talk of peace is a tasteless joke.

Discussion and belief preceeds action.  Or maybe we should all just shut up about peace, give up, and just give our 100% support to every war that comes our way.  Nah.

Quote:

It's really easy to be all for peace when you live in a good country that's mostly peaceful anyway. It's quite a bit harder when you live in a war ravaged shithole and get no help from anyone...

That's the whole point.  If you are in a peaceful country, that is because of all the people who are peaceful.  You make it sound like that is a bad thing. 

Quote:

just a bunch of upper middle class white people wishing you good luck,

Damn those people who wish good luck... what bastards!!  :rolleyes:  I noticed how you didn't mention what class and color of people that are firing those smart bombs.

Quote:

showing you in the form of umpteen million candlelight vigils that they "support your cause," whatever the fuck that means, and displaying their displeasure with the President in the form of scolding posterboard and crayon picket signs. Giving someone a pat on the back and the thumbs up from 6000 miles away when their house has just been shelled and their family killed is not a help...it's an insult.

If my house was getting shelled, I'd rather know that there are millions of people in the world who cared, than if everyone was indifferent.

There are about six billion people in the world, and about ten million peace protesters.  A small fraction of the population (0.001%) scattered around the world isn't going to acheive world peace anytime soon.  You complain about peaceniks, for complaining about war, that's some deep complaining.  :lol:

Peace Photos:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/favlinke...amp;postmarker=

War Photos:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/favlinke...amp;postmarker=

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

OfflineShizpow
Street Samurai

Loc: Oregon
Re: For World Peace [Re: pattern]
    #2202426 - 12/26/03 05:55 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

"Discussion and belief preceeds action."

I absolutely agree. So where's the fucking action? What are people doing to stop the Bush regime and this war? You have to realize that discussion and belief, while necessary, only go so far, and once you've established that the Bush regime is a malignant thing killing our counry along with others, and that it set up this war for the financial well being of itself and its friends, then take some action. Shut the fuck up about how much they suck how bad their war is and do domething to stop them. Bitching about Haliburton's oil? Stop driving your SUV to the store to buy posterboard and cayons. Stop patting yourself on the back and saying "Look here! I'm doing my part."

"If you are in a peaceful country, that is because of all the people who are peaceful."

No. If you are in a peaceful country, it's because you have the military power to keep other military powers at bay. It's because you have all the resources you need to keep your people (for the most part) happy and distracted, and it's because you got those resources by exploiting weaker countries.

"I noticed how you didn't mention what class and color of people that are firing those smart bombs."

That was my point exactly, maybe it wasn't clear enough. If the Spanish military invaded my state and destroyed my house and killed my family from the comfort of the upper atmosphere with laser guided bombs, the last thing I'd want to hear about would be all the Spaniards at home lighting candles in my honor and devoting a solid hour a day to my "cause." Hypocrisy is so nauseating.

"You complain about peaceniks, for complaining about war, that's some deep complaining."

I complain about peaceniks for being such lazy hypocrites. I complain about people who will only work for peace as long as it's convenient for them. Protests and rallies are worse than useless if no action ever follows. Either do something to directly help the people in Iraq or to directly hurt Bush, Cheney and Haliburton, or stop talking about it. If you're not willing to fight for peace, you will never have peace.

--------------------
If you cut a face lengthwise, urinate on it, and trample on it with straw sandles, it is said that the skin will come off. This was heard by the priest Gyojaku when he was in Kyoto. It is information to be treasured.

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: For World Peace [Re: Entelle]
    #2202492 - 12/26/03 06:48 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

think of those protests, where a bunch of people would just lie on the road, in the way of the logging trucks. get enough people, and the trucks, infinatly bigger and stronger, will stop.

How is preventing your fellow man from his livelyhood which he needs to feed his children peaceful? Taking control of natural resources for your own pleasure is greedy.

OfflinePedM
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2203799 - 12/27/03 12:46 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

>>> There may well be millions of people willing to stand up for peace, as an abstract anyway. But until there are enough people on board to actually DO something to improve the third world's living conditions and stop the ever increasing margin of wealth between the rich and the poor, then to talk of peace is a tasteless joke.

The poor living conditions in the Third World are not an isolated problem. They are part of a systemic problem. Stabilizing world population will only be possible when poverty is reduced worldwide. The extinction of animal and plant species on a massive scale will continue as long as the Third World is burdended by massive debts. Only if we stop the international arms trade will we have the resources to prevent the destruction of the biosphere and of the bulk if not the whole of human life. The crisis in the world is not a crisis that can be resolved with more hours, more hands, more money.

In fact, the more we study the situation, the more we realize that, ultimately, these problems are just different facets of one single crisis, which is essentially a crisis of perception. It derives from the fact that most of us -- and especially our large social institutions -- subscribe to the concepts and values of an outdated worldview, to a paradigm that is inadequate for dealing with the problems of our overpopulated, globally interconnected world.

This outdated an obsolete worldview has dominated our culture for several hundred years, during which it has shaped our modern Western society and has significantly influenced the rest of the world. The paradigm consists of a number of ideas and values, among them the view of the universe as a mechanical system composed of elementary building blocks, the view of the human body as a machine, the view of life as a competitive struggle for existence, and perhaps most critical to the points that have been raised here: the belief in unlimited material progress to be achieved through economic and technical growth and conquest.

Until this perspective become a minority, so the wars will rage on, and so there will be those of us reserved in our apathy, seeing the situation as unresolvable and hopeless. The inaction of not applying effort in investigating the mechanics of the problem, and instead adopting an attitude of inescapable doom is the real insult to those innumerable and precious individuals suffering in forgotten places.

What is needed is to reorient our outdated modes of thinking, to update our perspectives to accomodate all beings, not just ourselves. To put effort in this direction is to bring our society a step in the correct direction. More of us need to make this step, and it can only be made by example.

--------------------

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

#2204198 - 12/27/03 04:38 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I absolutely agree.  So where's the fucking action?  What are people doing to stop the Bush regime and this war? You have to realize that discussion and belief, while necessary, only go so far, and once you've established that the Bush regime is a malignant thing killing our counry along with others, and that it set up this war for the financial well being of itself and its friends, then take some action.  Shut the fuck up about how much they suck how bad their war is and do domething to stop them. 

What can anyone do to "stop" them?  Stopping a war might be a little harder than you make it out to be.

Quote:

"If you are in a peaceful country, that is because of all the people who are peaceful."
No.  If you are in a peaceful country, it's because you have the military power to keep other military powers at bay.  It's because you have all the resources you need to keep your people (for the most part) happy and distracted, and it's because you got those resources by exploiting weaker countries.

I live in a peaceful country and the people are peaceful (Canada).  Our military power is not enough to keep our neighbours at bay.  I agree with the resources part, but you don't have to get resources by "exploiting weaker countries"

Quote:

That was my point exactly, maybe it wasn't clear enough.  If the Spanish military invaded my state and destroyed my house and killed my family from the comfort of the upper atmosphere with laser guided bombs, the last thing I'd want to hear about would be all the Spaniards at home lighting candles in my honor and devoting a solid hour a day to my "cause."  Hypocrisy is so nauseating.

So you think Americans that protested the Iraq War are hypocrites?  I can see why you think that.  They live in the country and pay taxes to fund that war.  What are they gonna do though?  I don't find their actions nauseating or hypocritical, maybe weak.  Eating bugs on Fear Factor is nauseating.  Telling people Iraq has WMD and is a threat to the world is hypocritical.  Protesting plays an important role though.  I think that if no one protested at all, more countries would have joined the war.  Protesting is a way for the masses to speak their minds and let their elected leaders know what they want.

Quote:

I complain about peaceniks for being such lazy hypocrites.  I complain about people who will only work for peace as long as it's convenient for them.  Protests and rallies are worse than useless if no action ever follows.  Either do something to directly help the people in Iraq or to directly hurt Bush, Cheney and Haliburton, or stop talking about it.  If you're not willing to fight for peace, you will never have peace.

What about Americans that support the war?  Shouldn't they be fighting?  Lazy hypocrites! 

Not everyone dedicates their time to realizing every cause that comes their way.  People have lives, jobs, families, etc.  Individually, it is impossible to stop a war.  Until you can tell people what exactly they could do, then complaining they aren't doing it, is also pointless.

You make some good points, but I'm still convinced of my position.  I'm not powerful or rich, I have no guns, so protesting is the best thing I got right now.  Plus it's fun and there are lots of chicks.  :cool:

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

InvisibleJenny
part of thewhole
Male User Gallery

Loc: Columbus, OHIO
    #2204301 - 12/27/03 06:23 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

you're always good with your words.

:heart:Ped :heart:

--------------------

Mindfulness is the aware, balanced acceptance of the present experience.
It isn't more complicated than that.
It is opening to or recieving the present moment, pleasant or unpleasant, just as it is,
without either clinging to it or rejecting it.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology