Home | Community | Message Board

DoubleBlind - Learn to Grow Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Long Beach hit with $28M claim in cop shooting of drug-taking student
    #21984275 - 07/23/15 01:51 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

http://mynewsla.com/crime/2015/07/22/family-sues-over-sons-death-by-long-beach-officer-after-study-session-gone-wrong/

Long Beach hit with $28M claim in cop shooting of drug-taking student

Photo courtesy of LAUSD. Feras Morad in 2013.

The family of a 20-year-old college student who was fatally shot by Long Beach police after he took hallucinogenic drugs and jumped through a second-floor window filed a $28 million claim Wednesday against the city and police department.

“For the life of me, I cannot understand,” Feras Morad’s father, Amr, said at a news conference outside Long Beach police headquarters. “… I cannot get over it. How could this have happened to my son? It’s tearing me apart inside.”

Morad’s mother, Amal, added, “As a mother I don’t want any mom in the world to have the pain I have in my heart right now.”

Morad, a nationally ranked debater who was planning to transfer from another school to Cal State Long Beach in the fall, was shot around 7:30 p.m. May 27 in the 4600 block of East 15th Street near Pacific Coast Highway.

Family members said earlier that Morad had been studying with friends when they took hallucinogenic drugs, and after a fight ensued, Morad jumped through a second-story window.

Long Beach police said an officer and paramedics were sent to the scene, and the arriving officer saw three people in an alley. As the officer began to exit his patrol vehicle, one of the three began to walk quickly in the officer’s direction, according to the LBPD.

“He appeared to have a large cut on his body and was covered with blood,” police said.

The officer told Morad he was there to help him, but the man walked toward the officer, ignoring a command to stop so he could be treated, according to the Long Beach Police Department.

“The suspect advanced more rapidly toward the officer who perceived the suspect was now a threat and (was) going to assault him,” according to police.

“During the next few minutes, the officer utilized verbal commands, an electronic control device, an impact weapon and physical force to gain compliance but was unsuccessful,” police said.

“Ultimately, the suspect again advanced toward the officer, telling the officer he was going to attack him. At that time, an officer-involved shooting occurred,” according to the Long Beach Police Department.

The officer was later identified as Matthew Hernandez, a 12-year veteran who has been removed from field duty while the investigation into the shooting continues.

The claim is a precursor to a lawsuit.

— Wire reports

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineNature Boy
Stranger than most
Male User Gallery

Loc: Samsara
Re: Long Beach hit with $28M claim in cop shooting of drug-taking student [Re: motaman] * 1
    #21985735 - 07/23/15 05:34 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Good!  I was infuriated when I read this story.  It won't bring this gentleman back to life, but maybe, just maybe it will change policy or police behavior.

N.B.

--------------------
All submitted posts under this user name are works of pure fiction or outright lies.  Any information, statement, or assertion contained therein should be considered pure unadulterated bullshit.  Note well:  Sorry, but I do not answer PM's unless you are a long-time trusted friend.  If you have a question, ask it in the appropriate thread.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Long Beach hit with $28M claim in cop shooting of drug-taking student [Re: Nature Boy]
    #21985757 - 07/23/15 05:38 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Long Beach police said an officer and paramedics were sent to the scene, and the arriving officer saw three people in an alley. As the officer began to exit his patrol vehicle, one of the three began to walk quickly in the officer’s direction, according to the LBPD.

“He appeared to have a large cut on his body and was covered with blood,” police said.

The officer told Morad he was there to help him, but the man walked toward the officer, ignoring a command to stop so he could be treated, according to the Long Beach Police Department.

“The suspect advanced more rapidly toward the officer who perceived the suspect was now a threat and (was) going to assault him,” according to police.

“During the next few minutes, the officer utilized verbal commands, an electronic control device, an impact weapon and physical force to gain compliance but was unsuccessful,” police said.

“Ultimately, the suspect again advanced toward the officer, telling the officer he was going to attack him. At that time, an officer-involved shooting occurred,” according to the Long Beach Police Department.

If that turns out to be accurate, the cop did just what he should have. He deserves an award for waiting long enough to take all the listed steps.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleRickSanchezC137
Mad Scientist
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Dimension C137
Re: Long Beach hit with $28M claim in cop shooting of drug-taking student [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #21986753 - 07/23/15 09:09 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Ya but if the kid didn't have a deadly weapon is such extreme force really necessary? And why don't they try to wing people, shot in the leg or foot should stop someone and a lot lower chance of killing them.

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Long Beach hit with $28M claim in cop shooting of drug-taking student [Re: RickSanchezC137]
    #21987086 - 07/23/15 10:14 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Being a cop is a hard fucking job.  Most shootings/injuries can be avoided if the victim followed simple commands.  Did the cops taser or pepper spray not work or something?  Shooting the kid is inexcusable.

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Long Beach hit with $28M claim in cop shooting of drug-taking student [Re: RickSanchezC137]
    #21988559 - 07/24/15 07:17 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

RickSanchezC137 said:
Ya but if the kid didn't have a deadly weapon is such extreme force really necessary?

Clearly the cop thought so.

Quote:

And why don't they try to wing people, shot in the leg or foot should stop someone and a lot lower chance of killing them.

:lolsy:

You watch too much TV.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Long Beach hit with $28M claim in cop shooting of drug-taking student [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #21988562 - 07/24/15 07:20 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Cognitive_Shift said:
Being a cop is a hard fucking job.

Yup.

Quote:

Most shootings/injuries can be avoided if the victim followed simple commands.

Yup. He didn't. Now he's dead.

Quote:

Did the cops taser or pepper spray not work or something?

It's right in the article.

Quote:

Shooting the kid is inexcusable.

Excusable. Understandable. Smart.

--------------------

Offlinetheonlysun81
Long Time Lurker, Recent Member
 User Gallery

Re: Long Beach hit with $28M claim in cop shooting of drug-taking student [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #21988763 - 07/24/15 09:39 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Cognitive_Shift said:
Being a cop is a hard fucking job.  Most shootings/injuries can be avoided if the victim followed simple commands.  Did the cops taser or pepper spray not work or something?  Shooting the kid is inexcusable.

I don't think being a cop is a hard job.

Also there are stories when cops do their job right.

AKA being fired upon and than not returning fire because they were in a residential neighborhood. They simply maintained contact until back up came.

--------------------

Invisiblejbaby007
Badass
I'm a teapot

Re: Long Beach hit with $28M claim in cop shooting of drug-taking student [Re: motaman]
    #21996005 - 07/25/15 06:05 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Cops are pussies now n days. So many unarmed people have been shot to death because an officer felt like his life was at "risk." I feel as though they've gone through enough training to know how to properly handle situations like this without deadly force. I don't know if the cop really used all of those options before killing him or not but I feel like it could be a cover up because the blues always have each other's backs. There's no excuse for this behavior.

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
Re: Long Beach hit with $28M claim in cop shooting of drug-taking student [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #21996256 - 07/25/15 07:05 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Quote:

RickSanchezC137 said:
Ya but if the kid didn't have a deadly weapon is such extreme force really necessary?

Clearly the cop thought so.

Quote:

And why don't they try to wing people, shot in the leg or foot should stop someone and a lot lower chance of killing them.

:lolsy:

You watch too much TV.

They're trained to shoot for center body mass. It's stopping power and less chance to miss. Bystanders appreciate stray bullets.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service