Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
My Peruvianus may be in trouble
    #2197270 - 12/23/03 08:24 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Hi again. Being my anal retentive self, I decided about 4 days ago that my Peruvianus cacti weren't perfectly vertical, so I gently pushed them so that they were both perfectly straight up. It looked good until I got back from a trip, and now they are leaning considerably. Another reason why I gently pushed them is that their spines were touching each other's ribs, and it made me nervous about potential stabbings :-)

Here are 3 pics from different angles:

I am worried that I may have damaged the roots or something by pushing them upright. The fact that they are considerably narrower at the base makes me think that I may have snapped the bottom part of the cacti, where the roots are, but of course I can't see if I did because the dirt isn't transparent. I was thinking of taking them out of the dirt to look at their bases, but I don't know if that would do more harm than good. Now that they're leaning a lot, they look like they have died. They are now leaning a helluva lot more than before I gently pushed them upright, making me believe that I damaged them. If I caused damage, I would like to rectify the situation ASAP because I figure that they could rot or die if left uprooted. At the same time, I am worried that if I bother them too much by taking them out of the dirt etc, it may do more harm than good. I'm also worried that they will tip over when they get taller (they're only 5 inches tall right now, and quite angled).

Is there any way that I could determine if I indeed did cause damage? Should I do the bold move of repotting them in the spring, or should I let them be and hope that they don't tip over and that their roots are still in the soil and able to collect nurtients? I really wish that the dirt could be transparent hehe.

I would also be willing to delay growth by chopping off a bit from the bottom, re-rooting, and then repotting, if it would safely ensure that the roots aren't damaged and don't start to rot.

Thanks for any tips.

Signed: A nervous parent

Edited by megaman3 (12/23/03 08:28 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJorge
Stranger

Re: My Peruvianus may be in trouble [Re: megaman3]
    #2197342 - 12/23/03 09:49 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

There are no problem taking them out and have a look to their roots, if the roots are fine, repot again,  but if you see some white spots on them, maybe they would have "cochinilla algodonosa" (it is a pest but i don?t know the english name... sorry).

In any case, change the susbstrate and the cactus will produce new roots with only a little delay than if you let in the old soil..

Saludos  :thumbup:

Invisiblemikey
Stranger

Re: My Peruvianus may be in trouble [Re: Jorge]
    #2197389 - 12/23/03 10:22 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

if they are falling over you could always just stake them up right.

InvisibleHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
    #2197425 - 12/23/03 10:47 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

FYI: While it IS a wound, and can contaminate, cactus on cactus stabbings happen all the time in nature. In fact, given a long enough time-line, the enzymes would have dissolved the cactus spines when it healed.

--------------------

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #2197442 - 12/23/03 11:05 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

You could have done a few things, loosened up the soil around the roots if they're not so far developed in the pot and made it so the roots don't anchor the specimens in the substrate.

You did however say it looked like they were dying. Perhaps you separated them from their roots in some way. I would thus uproot them both try to separate eachothers roots from the other if no damage has been done and put them in separate pots (without causing damage). If damage has been done and it looks like they're dying, depending on the extent you could try to let it heal out of a medium or you could just make cutting above the wound, allow it to callus over and reroot.

Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
Re: My Peruvianus may be in trouble [Re: neuro]
    #2200244 - 12/25/03 12:41 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the hints guys and gals. Question though: is it ok if I repot them at this time of the year, when the cacti are perhaps dormant, or will that confuse them and halt their growth? I would prefer to repot them soon, like on boxing day or the following day, and I'd like to know if it's ok to repot them at this time of the year before I do it. Is it better in general to repot at a different time of the year, like in the spring when growth resumes? I would prefer to not wait if it is possible.

Finally, if I repot them in the dormant period, does that mean that they will not get a firm grasp on the soil until the spring?

Thanks.

Edited by megaman3 (12/25/03 12:44 AM)

InvisibleDazedSol
old hand

#2200283 - 12/25/03 12:59 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

You can repot them.......everything will fine..

I had a five or six inch 'offshoot' get knocked off the main cactus.......I let it callus then just firmly set it on the soil in a visually appealing postion...a few weeks later it has started to sprout roots; even though it is winter and they are dormant.....

Your plant should be ok.....fungus should be more of a worry....dont overwater....

--------------------
Peace,
Adam

Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
Re: My Peruvianus may be in trouble [Re: DazedSol]
    #2200785 - 12/25/03 11:28 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks DazedSol! Out of curiosity, how did you let it callus? You just left it in open air until it dried at the end that was cut, or did you have to leave it in direct sun behind a window? Did you need to do anything to prevent contamination of the cut part? It would seem risky to leave an open wound exposed to the air... Would covering it with paper towels allow it to callus without risk of contamination?

Finally, how did you know that it formed roots a few weeks later? Did you lift the cactus to look?

That was a good tip about not overwatering. I hadn't thought about that, but it makes perfect sense.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Edited by megaman3 (12/25/03 11:33 AM)

InvisibleDazedSol
old hand

#2200956 - 12/25/03 03:27 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

To callus i just set the cutting on the windowsill(sunny south facing window)...
after a couple weeks the wound will callus over.....
if your house is very humid them contamination may be an issue....
no need to cover with anything.....

And yes...i was just lifting the cutting from the soil to check the root formation....only a couple times though.....when roots were visible i put the cutting back in place and never lifted it out of the soil again(dont want to break the new roots off when firmly putting it back in place:) )

In winter my cacti get watered maybe once sometimes twice a month... should you repot your cacti you will probably want to do the potting, give them just enough water to wet the soil(not much at all).....and then after a few days maybe a bit more water.....

--------------------
Peace,
Adam

Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
Re: My Peruvianus may be in trouble [Re: DazedSol]
    #2203049 - 12/27/03 12:55 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks again DazedSol, you've been a great help!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden