Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineTonearm
Stranger
Leary's Eight Neurological Circuits (+ Robert Anton Wilson)
    #2179437 - 12/15/03 12:06 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Is there anyone here who is familiar with either Timothy Leary's theory of Eight Neurological Circuits or the author Robert Anton Wilson?

--------------------
My Favorite Link:
http://www.deoxy.org/8brains.htm

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Leary's Eight Neurological Circuits (+ Robert Anton Wils [Re: Tonearm]
    #2179511 - 12/15/03 12:34 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Don't know it by heart. I've read it.

What's your question?

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Anonymous

Re: Leary's Eight Neurological Circuits (+ Robert Anton Wilson) [Re: Tonearm]
    #2179518 - 12/15/03 12:36 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

yes.

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #2179519 - 12/15/03 12:36 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Aye.

Check this out for some interesting stuff relating to the Mushroom and the Eightfold theory :

http://www.swastika.com/rp/universe.html

--------------------

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #2179730 - 12/15/03 01:55 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Yes,I'm very familar with RAW and Leary. What would you like to discuss?

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Offlinehaz
mycofunkatologist
Male

Loc: Earth!
Re: Leary's Eight Neurological Circuits (+ Robert Anton Wilson) [Re: monoamine]
    #2179793 - 12/15/03 02:12 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

now you got me all interested, what is it? Links perhaps?

Offlineergot
MydriasicVisionary
Re: Leary's Eight Neurological Circuits (+ Robert Anton Wilson) [Re: haz]
    #2180096 - 12/15/03 04:07 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Some one describe 'em quick if ya can... and what happens on the 8th circuit? ...deoxy.org has some great information... I'm just too lazy to put it in here and am giving ideas of what to put...  :tongue:

--------------------
"Remain a learner, never become a knower." - Osho

OfflineTonearm
Stranger
Re: Leary's Eight Neurological Circuits (+ Robert Anton Wilson) [Re: ergot]
    #2180223 - 12/15/03 05:00 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Here's a link to where it's gone over at deoxy.org :

http://www.deoxy.org/8circuit.htm

I'm part-way through Robert Anton Wilson's book "Prometheus Rising", which is based on Leary's circuits. What do you guys think of the Eight Circuit theory and everything else RAW goes over in "Prometheus"?

--------------------
My Favorite Link:

OfflineGrandpa
Oh, my achingback

Loc: Springfield
Re: Leary's Eight Neurological Circuits (+ Robert Anton Wilson) [Re: Revelation]
    #2180520 - 12/15/03 06:41 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

interesting link to that swastika site man, very interesting read.

--------------------
I don't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs.
--Nancy Reagan, former First Lady

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
    #2180881 - 12/15/03 08:48 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I posted about this a long time ago but I was surprised too see about two responses only. I am very familiar with that and lots of stuff from www.deoxy.org. I am glad too see someone else that is into the same thing I am.

Anonymous

Re: Leary's Eight Neurological Circuits (+ Robert Anton Wilson) [Re: Earth_Droid]
    #2181123 - 12/15/03 09:53 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Good stuff. Thanks y'all. :thumbup:

AMONGST BUTTERFLIES - Paul Weller

The sunny sand we ran along
Everyday began upon
The summer's kiss of love and adventure
And every June that we fell into
Left a mark upon us too
Etched forever as a moment we'd remember
And we'd remember
The empty woods where we played
Every hour of every day
The holidays went on forever

And in the woods was a soldier's tomb
The ghost of which looked over you
And God was there amongst the trees
We felt his whisper as the summer's breeze
And every night and every day
I learnt to love it in a special way
As I remember
What it's like to walk amongst butterflies

OfflineGrandpa
Oh, my achingback

Loc: Springfield
Re: Leary's Eight Neurological Circuits (+ Robert Anton Wilson) [Re: Earth_Droid]
    #2181802 - 12/16/03 05:49 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I can definately apply lots of this to different trips and experiences in my life, and am surprised myself I've never stumbled across it all. Learn something new everyday eh :smile:

--------------------
I don't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs.
--Nancy Reagan, former First Lady

InvisibleGalvie_Flu
 User Gallery

Re: Leary's Eight Neurological Circuits (+ Robert Anton Wils [Re: Tonearm]
    #2183740 - 12/16/03 07:37 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

yeah, i found it very interesting, and have it at the back of my mind alot.

OfflineTonearm
Stranger
Re: Leary's Eight Neurological Circuits (+ Robert Anton Wils [Re: Galvie_Flu]
    #2195748 - 12/22/03 01:32 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Damn, I got very distracted after I started this thread. The search function was broken yesterday so I couldn't find it again, but Search is working today so here I am.

Would anyone like to discuss the whole 8-circuit model? RAW's Prometheus Rising has affected huge changes in me now....

--------------------
My Favorite Link:

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2197051 - 12/23/03 12:47 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

What do you guys think of the Eight Circuit theory and everything else RAW goes over in "Prometheus"?

Yes, I have read "Prometheus Rising" and it also changed the way I think about how I form my opinions. It showed me, among other things, how we trick ourselves into believing whatever reality suits us at the time. He is a hell of an author and thinker. He also has a fantastic sense of humor as I'm sure you know.

I like the stuff on "reality tunnels"- how we can't possibly process all incoming sensory information so we screen it. We take in what correlates with our beliefs and reject anything that doesn't fit the mold. He cures you of any pretension of objectivity you might have going in. I was already familiar with the idea- I just dig his explanation of it.

As far as the 8 circuits go- anything I read along those lines I take with a big grain of salt. When someone says, "There are 41 other worlds, 6 spiritual realms", etc you can take that as their perception and don't take it too seriously. It all depends on where you draw the line. You could say an inch consists of 8 sections and define them. Or you could say there are sixteen. Both are correct depending upon how you want to divide it. There are gradations in most things- a spectrum.

When you view light through a prism you can see that blue and purple dont begin and end abruptly- they merge. Where you draw the line is an intellectual exercise and one that misses the point in my opinion.

My next book to read, after 'Heavier than Heaven' and whatever books I get for Christmas *wrings hands gleefully* will be Cosmic Trigger I by RAW.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineTonearm
Stranger
Re: Leary's Eight Neurological Circuits (+ Robert Anton Wilson) [Re: Jellric]
    #2197734 - 12/23/03 12:17 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

From what I understand, you can't relate something to someone else using the convention of language without dividing or separating ideas and concepts. Like digital information (10101010), the semantic circuit of the brain (the proposed 3rd circuit, the verbal-logical circuit) operates by categorizing, dividing, separating in this way (1 or 0 ?). Language is a product of this semantic circuit, and is, as a result, bound by the same restrictions (either 1 or 0). The eight-way separation of the model of consciousness RAW uses is only necessary when examining the operation of our consciousness through the semantic/logical circuit in our brain. I suppose, theoretically, the same model of consciousness could be related using a method other than language that doesn't require the separation. Such a method could conceivably do an even better job of explanation too. Language in a book seems like the easiest way to go though, and the separation of ideas or concepts from one another is an inextricable part of that method.

Your example of light refracted through a prism is a great example. "Purple" and "blue" are semantic models we have created (or inherited) and applied to our experience of part of the spectrum of visible light. Since they are only semantic, logic-based models, they are subject to the flaws inherent in such a model. Where lies the division between purple and blue? The only way to know is to create another model to define that division. Without the model what do we have? The raw experience of purple and blue I guess. Sounds just as nice (if not nicer) than purple and blue along with their semantic models, but how will you communicate purple and blue to someone without creating at least a basic semantic model of them? And once you've created that basic model, you've separated two things that aren't really separate right? But how could you have communicated purple and blue without that "artificial" separation?

I guess what I'm trying to say is: I agree with you that the separation of ideas and concepts reveals itself as incorrect under scrutiny (especially when the separation is being perceived through a consciousness circuit higher than the third), but "don't throw out the baby with the bath water". (I've never used that saying before, and never really taken the time to understand it either. It seems like it fits here though, and now I feel like I have a real understanding of it as well.)

--------------------
My Favorite Link:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract