Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineChillyShed
ThaFungusNurturer
Loc: Mechanicsburg, PA
Comparing religions
    #2196046 - 12/22/03 04:18 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

My parents are Hindu and I, like they were, were brought up in the Hindu tradition. My parents are quite open minded and never forced the beliefs unto me, instead they let me delve into religions and pick out what I liked. I see religions as all having the same basic precepts: love, compassion, etc. Out of all the religions I have read about, my favorite by far is Buddhism. In my opinion, Buddhism and Hinduism are the most peaceful religions. Have you ever noticed that a Buddhist or a Hindu will never try to convert someone else. The notion of converting someone else bothers me quite a bit. I don't like it when Christians say that if you don't accept Jesus as the savior and son of God, then you will be damned to hell. I think that Jesus was certainly a wiseman who left the world enlightened like many prophets before him. I think that a lot of aspects in Christianity were made by Christians in order to make them feel more comfortable with their beliefs. I was wondering how everyone else felt about this issue and which religion you like best.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineChillyShed
ThaFungusNurturer
Loc: Mechanicsburg, PA
Re: Comparing religions [Re: ChillyShed]
    #2196050 - 12/22/03 04:21 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

sorry about the double post guys....

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2196099 - 12/22/03 04:39 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

As religions are essentially socio-political organizations far-removed from their spiritual root, I would say to look to the predominant religion of the most peaceful, non-violent countries.

If you are strictly going for the teachings and not bent on joining an organization, then follow whateever teachings most resonant with you and give them your full attention for some predetermined span of time; otherwise one can get caught in endless "window-shopping".

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #2196215 - 12/22/03 05:18 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Most Muslims will also tell you that all non-Muslims are unsaved because they associate partners with God; just as Christians will tell others that they need the blood of Christ to be saved. Religious exclusiveness is a childish notion. On a Muslim forum that I frequent, Christian fundamentalists and Muslim fundamentalists debate, argue, and condemn each other all the time in a never-ending loop of bashing the other person's faith. One will say "Your religion is made-up!" the other "Your religion has been corrupted!". Stupid.

--------------------

OfflineShizpow
Street Samurai

Loc: Oregon
    #2196281 - 12/22/03 05:53 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Chillyshed, I'm curious. Do you feel that you still need religion? It seems that beyond mixing and matching and taking what you like from each religion, the next step is to move past them and say, "I don't need this anymore." I would urge you to look in that direction, as you seem to already be aware of the fact that religions are nothing more that codified versions of a moral barometer. It's my opinion that we'd be much healthier on the whole if people would drop religion. I can't think of anything that's caused so much suffering in the world as religion.

--------------------
If you cut a face lengthwise, urinate on it, and trample on it with straw sandles, it is said that the skin will come off. This was heard by the priest Gyojaku when he was in Kyoto. It is information to be treasured.

OfflineAmnesiac
Re-memberingcosmic wisdom

Loc: Unknown
Re: Comparing religions [Re: Shizpow]
    #2196387 - 12/22/03 06:43 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Couldn't have said it much better than that Shiz!

Learning from religions is fine for a first step towards spiritual understanding, but there should come a point where it's not even necessary anymore.

Most of the searching is shouldn't be done in books/doctrines, but in yourself and in nature.

--------------------
Here we are, in these bodies, on this planet in an endless universe. This is not the extent of who we are... merely an extension of who we really are.

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
    #2196635 - 12/22/03 08:51 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

my favorite by far is Buddhism. In my opinion, Buddhism and Hinduism are the most peaceful religions.

Hmmm.. you should keep in mind that Buddhists are a violent evil bunch. Just research Bhutan, the last Buddhist kingdom on earth, and you'll find endless lists of human rights abuses. There are more refugees per capita running or kicked out from Bhutan than any other country on earth, and yet it's predominantly buddhist and is lead by a buddhist. This is because they don't like people who don't share their beliefs, mainly hindu and muslim people. They run them out, sometimes violently, if they won't conform to their buddhist ideals.

Boom! Did I burst your bubble?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Comparing religions [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2196861 - 12/22/03 10:37 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I once had a discussion about Bhuddism with an (at -the-time unknown Bhuddist) based on my understanding of Bhuddist literature. You became extremely angry saying that I knew nothing of his religion. The point was that I knew nothing of his religion as filtered through his culture.

Can you imagine an aborigine who had been disconnected with the modern world, discussing Christianity after reading the New Testament:

Aborigine: Wow! These are some powerful teachings. I would imagine that war is non-existent in your country.

Christian: Well, no.

Aborigine: But you must take care of your poor.

Christian: Well, no.

Aborigine: (Getting discouraged) Then there must be little domestic violence and low crime...

Christian: Not even close. Try again.

Aborigine: (starting to get a headache) OK, you must hold marriage to be very sacred?

Christian: (stiffles guffaw) Well of course we do, but they just don't work out.

Aborigine: (puzzled) OK, now I get it. Externally, your lives are messy, but internally you are quite happy accepting things as they are.

Christian: Well we do have a high suicide rate and pretty much drug ourselves constantly to find chemical happiness.

Aborigine: Suicide? I am unfamiliar with that concept.

Christian: Nevermind.

Aborigine: OK, but there must be some manifestation of how the teachings have changed you for the better.

Christian: I am going to heaven, but I am not sure about you...

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom