Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

the Ivy League, etc.
    #21949573 - 07/15/15 11:58 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

These really good schools represent the best of the worst in this world.  Putting an exorbitant price on the search for knowledge and truth?  Putting most of their graduates through lifelong debt problems just to finance this blink of the eye in youth? 

Harvard's endowment now sits at $36.4 billion.  Just so you know, that is literally a larger sum than half of the world's economies.

Fuck these assholes, and fuck their billions in endowments.  It will be a pleasure seeing them roast in Hell.  :satansmoking:

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male

Loc: Under the C
Re: the Ivy League, etc. [Re: DividedQuantum]
    #21949581 - 07/16/15 12:00 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Huh? Are you part of The New Entitlement Generation? No one is putting anyone through anything. Cheaper routes are available. Why do you think Harvard owes you something?

--------------------

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: the Ivy League, etc. [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #21949585 - 07/16/15 12:03 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Wtf?  I don't think Harvard owes me anything, and I don't see how I even implied it.  I'm just pissed that such a precious institution, supposedly devoted to the pursuit of truth, cares about not much besides raking in the coin.

By the way, for-profit schools make up about 10% of all colleges in the U.S.  Over half of all financial aid goes to students going to that ten percent.  So, come to think of it, the taxpayers are taking a hit on this one, too.

InvisibleKhancious
da Crow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Behind Everything
    #21949610 - 07/16/15 12:08 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DividedQuantum said:
It will be a pleasure seeing them roast in Hell.  :satansmoking:

--------------------
I am that, which is.

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male

Loc: Under the C
    #21949652 - 07/16/15 12:22 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I'm just pissed that such a precious institution, supposedly devoted to the pursuit of truth, cares about not much besides raking in the coin.

Putting out some of the best educated students in the world is not caring?

Should businesses be about losing money?

--------------------

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

#21949684 - 07/16/15 12:31 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:

Putting out some of the best educated students in the world is not caring?

Perhaps not if so many of them are in debt for the rest of their lives paying off the student loans!

OfflineGorlax
Male

#21949734 - 07/16/15 12:47 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

What are you talking about? My cousin went to Cornell and is a fucking multi millionaire. He owns an entire stem cell center along with another stand alone facility. This mother fucker has 500$ wine glasses, yacht, mansion, and almost everything you'd expect. Granted anyone can accomplish this but he is spinal surgeon and worked his fucking ass off. Him going to an Ivy league school def makes your resume look a lot better but I do agree some of the smartest and most brilliant minds don't come from them. The people that make money do.

I'm actually going to visit him at the end of this month for a week. It's going to be fucking awesome. He also is going to help me find a path to take with my degree. He's the most hard working person I know... besides my mother and father.

Edited by Gorlax (07/16/15 01:03 AM)

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: the Ivy League, etc. [Re: Gorlax]
    #21951319 - 07/16/15 12:24 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

:facepalm:

Dude, that's great for your cousin, but not everyone who goes to a prestigious school automatically becomes a millionaire.  To assume they do is pretty ridiculous.  I've met several people from the Ivy League who are up to their eyeballs in debt.  And are not making millions.

Edited by DividedQuantum (07/16/15 12:40 PM)

InvisibleDieCommie

#21952062 - 07/16/15 03:27 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DividedQuantum said:
These really good schools represent the best of the worst in this world.  Putting an exorbitant price on the search for knowledge and truth?  Putting most of their graduates through lifelong debt problems just to finance this blink of the eye in youth? 

Harvard's endowment now sits at $36.4 billion.  Just so you know, that is literally a larger sum than half of the world's economies.

Fuck these assholes, and fuck their billions in endowments.  It will be a pleasure seeing them roast in Hell.  :satansmoking:

I think that only a few students in those schools pay full price.  Also, I went to PAC10 state schools for my degrees, much, much cheaper.  Ill still be in debt for the rest of my life.  Might as well have gone to an expensive school... :shrug:

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: the Ivy League, etc. [Re: DieCommie]
    #21953254 - 07/16/15 08:38 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
I think that only a few students in those schools pay full price.  Also, I went to PAC10 state schools for my degrees, much, much cheaper.  Ill still be in debt for the rest of my life.  Might as well have gone to an expensive school... :shrug:

Ha, yeah.  I went to a state school that is now in the Pac-10 as well (though wasn't when I went there).  At the time I took the majority of my classes (around 2000 -- finished up a few years later), my school was actually one of the least expensive in the nation for in-state students.  Heavily subsidized, and in a state that values inexpensive education.  :thumbup:  My parents paid the extremely modest tuition (rates have since literally almost tripled), and praise the saints I have no debt.  My heart goes out to you on your debt situation.  Truth is, a lot of people in this country are totally underwater on their student loans.  It's unacceptable.  :thumbdown:

InvisibleDieCommie

#21953368 - 07/16/15 09:11 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

But there is income based repayment.  Its basically a student loan bailout.  You only have to pay what you can afford, and their scale is generous IMO.  When I was unemployed and worked in a restaurant after graduation I owed zero per month.  Now I make a little above average and pay less than the interest alone.  After 25 years it will get forgiven.

My wife is in a similar situation, neither of us have ever paid down any principle on our debt.  Hers will be forgiven in 10 of work because she works at non-profits.

Nobody goes hungry from student loan payments.

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: the Ivy League, etc. [Re: DieCommie]
    #21953410 - 07/16/15 09:21 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Well, as I said, I wouldn't know.  That's somewhat encouraging to read. :thumbup:

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #21953931 - 07/16/15 11:36 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Huh? Are you part of The New Entitlement Generation? No one is putting anyone through anything. Cheaper routes are available. Why do you think Harvard owes you something?

Valid question.

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
    #21953953 - 07/16/15 11:42 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Harvard will allow you to go for free if your family's income is below $60,000.

You know how they can do stuff like that? Because of that multi-billion dollar endowment you just criticized.

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: the Ivy League, etc. [Re: nooneman] * 1
    #21953959 - 07/16/15 11:44 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

nooneman said:

You know how they can do stuff like that? Because of that multi-billion dollar endowment you just criticized.

:burn:

--------------------

OfflineGorlax
Male

Re: the Ivy League, etc. [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #21954026 - 07/16/15 11:58 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

We all went to Pac 10 schools hehehe. squad!

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: the Ivy League, etc. [Re: Gorlax]
    #21954029 - 07/16/15 11:58 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Big 10 is where it's at!

--------------------

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: the Ivy League, etc. [Re: nooneman]
    #21954039 - 07/17/15 12:01 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

nooneman said:

Ha!

Quote:

Harvard is by far the most richly endowed U.S. university. But institutions like the University of Pennsylvania and Yale actually posted even more resplendent returns on their investments. And yet, most of these schools, which are nominally nonprofits mind you, will probably spend somewhere just south of 5 percent of their total endowments this year on things like financial aid and infrastructure.

On the other hand, what an odd cushion. It turns out, the school did face a serious cash squeeze. But that had everything to do with some boneheaded investments in assets that couldn't really be sold quickly — think timberland — not the size of their portfolio, which was never anything short of enormous.  In general, schools turned out to be surprisingly unwilling to spend down their endowments during the recession, largely choosing to raise tuition or cut spending rather than touch their nest eggs. That would seem to undermine the whole premise letting them sit there and grow with the help of tax-deductible donations.

Every so often, Congress contemplates the idea of forcing the richest colleges to spend a certain percentage of their endowments, the same way non-profit foundations are. Maybe it's time to have one those conversations again.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/09/is-harvard-so-rich-that-it-should-literally-be-illegal/280002/

Quote:

"What happens when the gods of high finance dump a gigantic pile of gold on the richest university in the world?" Carey asks in his lead. He then notes the growth in the value of the Harvard endowment from $4.7 billion two decades ago (which he inflates to $7.7 billion in current dollars), and its rise to a peak value of $36.9 billion in 2008. The crux of his argument is that the spending from that growth supported the faculty ranks and the research enterprise, but not undergraduate education, or at least not sufficiently in his view:

Harvard spent the money on many things. But not a dollar went to increasing the number of undergraduates it chose to bless with a Harvard education. In 1990 the University welcomed slightly more than 1,600 students to its freshman class. In 2008, $32 billion later, it enrolled slightly more than 1,600 freshmen.

That is remarkable stinginess. Harvard undergraduate degrees are immensely valuable, conferring a lifetime of social capital and prestige. The university receives many more highly qualified applicants than it chooses to admit. Because the existing class includes underqualified children of legacies, rich people, politicians, celebrities, and others who benefit from the questionable Ivy League admissions process, Harvard could presumably increase the size of its entering class by, say, 50 percent while improving the overall academic quality of the students it admits.

Granted, it would cost money to teach more students. The University would need to invest in land and buildings and professors. But that's precisely what the University spent the endowment on. The Faculty of Arts and Sciences alone expanded by more than 125 positions over the past decade and increased spending by hundreds of millions of dollars. The University gobbled up nearby land and erected a collection of handsome new buildings, creating over six million square feet of new space since 2000 alone. Yet none of the brilliant new people and buildings and land were used to give more undergrads a Harvard education.

http://harvardmagazine.com/harvard-in-the-news/how-harvard-uses-its-endowment

P.S.  Families making less than $65,000 do not need to contribute from their present income.  But that money ain't free...

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #21954043 - 07/17/15 12:04 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

I still don't understand what your beef is with the endowment?  Harvard isn't a pussy, it gets gangster with that money.

--------------------

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: the Ivy League, etc. [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #21954054 - 07/17/15 12:08 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

My problem is that educational institutions shouldn't be about raking in billions.  Read the article.  They don't give half a shit about their undergrad program -- because there's better money elsewhere.  You're not bothered that they're sitting on $35 billion that they don't spend, but collect interest on and further donations for?  It's disgusting, they're thieves.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology