Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenemesis
Stranger

Stressing catnip
    #2194486 - 12/21/03 09:51 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Greetings, I have been snippping bits off my potted catnip plant since I first established it at a young age, for personal use and I had an itchin that this sort of stress would help the alkaloid count as with similiar plants, especially tryptamine containing.

It is still atleast a 2 months off from flowering, and in sunny Australia quite easy to grow with little care, but does tend to dry out abit quick and wilts if not wattered within 2 days!

Any tips on stressing? or if it is effective at all? Anyone tried?
Catnip is so far one of my favourites, give it a go :smile: :spliff:

--------------------
May Peace and fellicity smile on those who seek it.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRemut
Green Thumb
Re: Stressing catnip [Re: nemesis]
    #2195185 - 12/22/03 08:28 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Well i tryed it long ago and i think its works so it did now i know better the flavor and smoke dont come from alkaloides they come from volatile oils the plant make these oil to protect it slef from the climit it comes from.  It helps keep in water if the leafs have a oil content to them. 

The best way to stress the plant is to do as you do keep cutting the plant back and growing it in a high temp, full sun, low hunidity and watering only when the plant has wilted a tiny bit, the new growth will be better able to deal with the emviroment stress and in theroy make more of the volatile oil. 

But really the plant is easy to grow i had mine get 2 feet tall over the summer and the what a smell. I found the smaller newer the had a purple color on the under side of the foliage was the most potent. :tongue:

--------------------
DO what I Would

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: Stressing catnip [Re: nemesis]
    #2195489 - 12/22/03 01:05 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I have a catnip patch that grows back every summer, i tend to each individual and try to keep it as orderily as possible (as much as you can with an invasive plant like that).

Pruning like that in my opinion doesn't really cause too much stress. And i think stressing mint family members doesn't do too much for alkaloids. I've found many such plants to be healthier and more aromatic (a product of the amount of volatile oils in it) when they were kepty happy, healthy and chock full of nutrients.

I've had similar ideas in the past and have tried different methods of ingesting different plants thought to have been stressed, kept healthy etc.. etc.. and haven't been able to notice.

Perhaps stressing or keeping it in good conditions help boost alkaloid content, but maybe not so much as such it's noticable in a bioassy, i'd like to get a MS/GC reading.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden