Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineenimatpyrt
addict
The real issue behind marijuana decriminilzation
    #2193186 - 12/20/03 06:05 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Since this is the ACTIVISM forum, I thought I'd post some of my thoughts about marijuana legalization/decrim and the activism that could lead to that.  Most of these items are pretty apparent to those of us who, well, hang out in a place that talks about growing 'shrooms, I just thought that everyone could add their own .02 cents.

One of the things that I notice that people who are debating legalization always seem to bring up the "how bad is it for you?" question.  I don't feel that this is the best way to go about it, really. Smoking any substance that releases actual "smoke" will release hydrocarbons and tar.  These are harmful to your lungs.  Also, and I'm sure I'll catch some hell for this, I think that THC is somewhat bad for your memory. I know that I've been stoned and just had a total brainfart and couldn't think of what I was heatedly debating 5 seconds before.

I think that the real issue is that things that are much worse than marijuana are currently legalized.  When the people start talking about how "bad" marijuana is, how addictive it is, ask them if they believe that all drugs that are harmful (or contain poisons) and that have been proven addictive should be banned. If they say so, then mention cigarettes and alcohol.  If society is going to ban substances that humans take to alter their consciousness, they should have set precedent for what will be banned. Then, when a new substance is created or discovered, it can be tested and have those standards applied to it to determine it's legal status.  So, if drugs that are addictive and / or harmful ro contain poisons are to be made illegal, then marijuana WOULD NOT be illegal, and nicotine and alcohol would be.

The real issue, though, the one I alluded to in the topic, is very simple.  I think that making nicotine and alcohol illegal would be very wrong.  I personally don't smoke tobacco and I only drink alcohol for my health, one or two beers/mixed drinks a day, but I think that people should be given the right to do as they please in the privacy of their own homes, if noone elses rights are being impinged by the action.  Certaintly anyone who drives under the influnce of alcohol is commiting a crime, but the crime isn't the ingestion of alcohol, the crime is driving while under the influence. If you want to sit at home and drink yourself into a stupor, the laws not do not prohibit that.

So, to sum it up, a person should have the right to be educated about any particular substance and, being educated on the possible harm that could come from abusing the substance, they should be able to make their own decision as to wether or not they will indulge in said substance.  That is what a free society is all about.

Other good arguments for the legalization of pot is to show how most of the negative sides of marijuana that the government propagandizes people with (drug dealers making alot of money, children being able to access drugs easily, crime related to 'turf wars', etc) don't really deal with the actual usage of drugs, but the effects of prohibition of drugs. The staggering cost of keeping drugs out of the country, something 'we' fail to do, the cost of keeping non-violent 'prisoners' fed, warm and guarded, the productive members of society who are being jailed, etceteras.

Also, check out and join www.norml.org, starting a norml chapter in your town is a great way to meat hot pothead chicks :wink:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion