Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Why I don't like flashing images on TV [Re: Learyfan]
    #2195437 - 12/22/03 10:23 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

"Imagine that your consciousness is an mp3. Each mp3 gets a certain amount of kilobytes per second. The more kilibytes per second, the higher the quality of the mp3. "

Interesting analogy... but I don't think that applies to the way your brain processes information. I don't see any reason to believe quickly flashing images have more influence.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Why I don't like flashing images on TV [Re: Positronius]
    #2195441 - 12/22/03 10:25 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

""oh look honey, that Starbucks billboard says "tastes like shit" on it..maybe you we should go to an independant cafe' next time" "

How about: "Oh look honey, those disrespectful kids are writing curse words all over the Starbucks sign. How about we get our coffee there instead of the independant place?"

I don't think anyone is stupid enough to see "tastes like shit" spraypainted on a Starbucks billboard and believe it.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Why I don't like flashing images on TV [Re: kaiowas]
    #2195445 - 12/22/03 10:29 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

""they are called tv PROGRAMS for a reason " I forgot who said that one btw. "

It was every stoned kid since about 1963 who said that.

I like how everyone here loves drug use and feels it's just great, and then uses the "tv as a drug" analogy to show how evil television is. You guys are just wacky.

--------------------

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
Re: Why I don't like flashing images on TV [Re: Scarfmeister]
    #2195476 - 12/22/03 10:57 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomnoob said:
I hate some commercials so much that i have wowed never to buy any products form that company again no matter how many people tell me what an awesome product they have.

Yeah, like that stupid fucking dairy queen commercial with those two retards making those idiotic noises. You know, the one where the one guy holds his blizzard upside down. I'll never eat at dairy queen again!

Seriously, commercials have absolutely no effect on me, except as a mild irritant.

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Why I don't like flashing images on TV [Re: sirreal]
    #2195480 - 12/22/03 11:00 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Anyone who claims to be completely unaffected by the influence of commercials is out of touch. Every person thinks that a commercial wouldn't convince them to buy a product, yet advertising proves effective every time. Simply being able to recognize a brand can be enough to make you choose it over another one.

--------------------

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Re: Why I don't like flashing images on TV [Re: Phluck]
    #2195486 - 12/22/03 11:04 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
I like how everyone here loves drug use and feels it's just great, and then uses the "tv as a drug" analogy to show how evil television is. You guys are just wacky.

Good point!

Anyone who could be hypnotized to go out and buy something that they do not need just because of some flashy image is a complete retard.

--------------------
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

Offlinesirreal
devoid
    #2195488 - 12/22/03 11:05 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
Anyone who claims to be completely unaffected by the influence of commercials is out of touch. Every person thinks that a commercial wouldn't convince them to buy a product, yet advertising proves effective every time. Simply being able to recognize a brand can be enough to make you choose it over another one.

You couldn't be more wrong. You do not know me at all.

I shop for what I need, and am more concerned with price than packaging.

--------------------
-----------

Offlinesirreal
devoid
    #2195495 - 12/22/03 11:08 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
Anyone who claims to be completely unaffected by the influence of commercials is out of touch.

If I am out of touch it is because advertisers can't touch me with thier bullshit gimmicks. I have never bought a product because of a commercial! Never.

--------------------
-----------

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
    #2195496 - 12/22/03 11:09 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

>Interesting analogy... but I don't think that applies to the way your brain processes information. I don't see any reason to believe quickly flashing images have more influence.

Its not the actual flashing, I would say its the frequencey of the flashes that could effect the mind. Remember the mind is already in an alpha state when you watch t.v so just think how easy it would be to change it with flashes to a more suseptible state.

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#2195498 - 12/22/03 11:09 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Okay, I'll concede. You're the one single human being who has managed to overcome the influence of others. Congradulations, now go spread your superior seed so that mankind of the future may benefit.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Why I don't like flashing images on TV [Re: EvilGir]
    #2195506 - 12/22/03 11:14 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

"Its not the actual flashing, I would say its the frequencey of the flashes that could effect the mind. Remember the mind is already in an alpha state when you watch t.v so just think how easy it would be to change it with flashes to a more susceptible state. "

Um, got any data to back up the claim that the frequency of a flashing signal could make your brain more susceptible? 'Cause it sounds like bull to me.

--------------------

Offlinesirreal
devoid
    #2195514 - 12/22/03 11:19 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
Okay, I'll concede. You're the one single human being who has managed to overcome the influence of others. Congradulations, now go spread your superior seed so that mankind of the future may benefit.

Your sarcasm is pointless phluck.

Maybe you have a problem with flashy shiny things making decisions for you, but that does not mean everyone else does.

I have never bought a pair of designer jeans, shoes,etc.

I buy strictly what I need when it comes to neccesities. Other than that, I buy what is cheapest. Pretty simple. I like simple.

BTW, we are talking about advertising here, aren't we?

--------------------
-----------

Edited by sirreal (12/22/03 11:20 AM)

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

#2195586 - 12/22/03 11:50 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Well it is fact that diffrent frequenceys of light and sound can alter consciousness.
Here is an intresting link :

http://electronichealing.co.uk/products/pdf/A%20Short%20History%20of%20Sound%20and%20Light.pdf

I could give you more but i am trying to get some work done for uni.

--------------------

Edited by jezu (12/22/03 11:52 AM)

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#2195770 - 12/22/03 01:43 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

TV is only around because it's funded by advertisers' money. Nobody's forcing you but If you want to watch the show, you're gonna have to put up with the commercials. It's worth it if you ask me, there are some really cool shows on there.

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Re: Why I don't like flashing images on TV [Re: Grav]
    #2195858 - 12/22/03 02:23 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Oh and does any one remember that manga style cartoon that was banned a few years ago, because it was causing a large % of kids to have epileptic fits because of the flashing lights. I am just saying cos flashing light can effect the mind.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#2196630 - 12/22/03 08:49 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

"Well it is fact that diffrent frequenceys of light and sound can alter consciousness. "

That may be true, even though your link is from a site selling infomercial style products.
(*EDIT* Infomerical style? No, even better.
http://electronichealing.co.uk/products/emf.htm
This is pretty funny. They're selling devices to detect "harmful" EMF rays. Oh, and also a "ghost detector"... oh man, get this one: http://electronichealing.co.uk/products/waterenhancer.htm
"This has the effect of increasing the life-force energy of the water and of making the water more bio-available to the person."

Oh, more "bioavailable". That's the problem with water, it's wet and tasteless, but it's just not very bioavailable, is it?

A fool and his money are soon parted.)

However, what I want to know is not whether sound and light can alter a person's conciousness, but whether a certain frequency of flashing light would make a person more suceptible to influencial messages. Which is a completely different question.

--------------------

Edited by Phluck (12/22/03 09:12 PM)

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#2196649 - 12/22/03 08:56 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

"I have never bought a pair of designer jeans, shoes,etc. I buy strictly what I need when it comes to neccesities. Other than that, I buy what is cheapest. Pretty simple. I like simple."

Too simple, if you ask me. Everything influences you, whether you like it or not. I posted about this story one other time in a different thread, but I think it applies here as well.

Many of my friends enjoy a beer called "Moosehead". It comes in a green bottle. My friend John, however, doesn't like Moosehead at all.

I found this odd, as he likes most beers, and Moosehead is a pretty normal tasting lager. I suggested to Jon that perhaps the reason he didn't like Moosehead was a subconcious dislike for the green bottle, or maybe the picture of the moose on the label displeased him. Not only did he disagree with me, he was angry at the suggestion that he might not know exactly what he was thinking.

So that night, when Jon wasn't looking, I poured a Moosehead into a glass, and told him it was some other brand of beer. He loved it.

Basically what I'm saying is, the effect of advertising is much more of a subconcious thing that a direct "Wow, this ad is great I should buy that product" kind of thing. Even your tastes and preferences are affected by advertising.

Which is why saying that advertising has not effect on you is downright foolish.

--------------------

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #2196692 - 12/22/03 09:19 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

So that night, when Jon wasn't looking, I poured a Moosehead into a glass, and told him it was some other brand of beer. He loved it.

You sneaky bastard!  :lol: Did you tell your friend what you did? How did he react?

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Why I don't like flashing images on TV [Re: chodamunky]
    #2196737 - 12/22/03 09:32 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, I told him, and he just kind of went "hmm" and shrugged. Then we all got drunk and forgot about it.

He's back in town from school for the holidays now, and several of us were out buying beer, someone suggested we get a case of Moosehead, and John said "No, I don't really like Moosehead." Nobody said anything.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2196765 - 12/22/03 09:39 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

"Imagine that your consciousness is an mp3. Each mp3 gets a certain amount of kilobytes per second. The more kilibytes per second, the higher the quality of the mp3. "

Interesting analogy... but I don't think that applies to the way your brain processes information. I don't see any reason to believe quickly flashing images have more influence.

Images flashed very quickly can have a more indirect influence.. as it is picked up by the subconscious but too fast for the conscious mind to process.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds